Should i get my puppy NEUTERED?

zeekee

My puppy is having high sexual drives towards other dogs. Whenever we walk in the park and he sees a dog, he will get very angry and growls/barks like he wants to kill the dog. Its really embarassing because its like we're making a scene in the park and people are telling me not to bring my dog again in the park because he might bite a person. He gets angry too when he sees a running child. Im afraid that he might get lazy and thin just like my past dogs because of neutering. Help me please.

Saeleofu

I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with being intact or neutering and everything to do with training. Hire a professioanl trainer, or better yet a behaviorist (considering the severity of the problem), to help you. These are serious problems that you should NOT take lightly.

In the mean time, staying out of the park is a GOOD idea. You don't want to take chances.

zeekee

But i want to walk my puppy everyday because when he gets bored, he drains his energy by being too destructive. I will sure seek for a dog trainor because its my first time to encounter this kind of problem with dogs. Last night, he killed a stray cat that keeps going in our house. He stays up all night looking for a prey to kill.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
These behaviors are not related to sex or whether or not he's castrated - but they definitely need to be worked on. Find a pro trainer, as others said.

There's no real reason to neuter him unless you feel unable to contain him/prevent him from breeding.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Go see a decent trainer and have your dog evaluated. True aggression in puppies is not a normal occurrence. Killing cats is normally prey drive which is fairly normal in a half grown dog who has not been taught to respect cats or has moderate to high prey drive.

Neutering won't fore sure fix a lot of things but it *might* help you manage him better. There are worse things than neutering a dog.

If I were you however I'd be putting your money towards a trainer and a training program. This will not be a trainer at your local petsmart, you need someone with some experience. Odds are they will make some recommendations about how you live with this dog in addition to working on solid obedience.

In the mean time however do not go courting disaster. Get your dog a decent muzzle, do not go to a dog park or other places where offleash dogs frequent.

Saeleofu

Walk your dog in places that aren't busy with other dogs or foot traffic. You CANNOT risk your dog injuring someone.

zeekee

I guess i misunderstood the use of neutering a dog.. I always jog him in the morning and evening just to have his energy drains out and also make him a bit muscular. I jog him with a harness too so i could control him even better whenever he freaks out. But now, it a must for me to seek a professional trainor. Thanks for the help. @all

Xandra

We might be able to recommend a trainer if you are in the US, but I believe you are in the Philippines? Be careful which trainer you choose because if they use the wrong methods they can make your dog worse.

If you can, try and distract him from the dogs and kids and give him a treat if he ignores them. The more you can reward him for ignoring them the more he is going to want to ignore them.

kady05

If you're not planning on breeding or showing your dog, then by all means, neuter him. It may help, and it certainly can't HURT.

However it sounds like this dog has more prey drive than anything, a trainer would be a good source of help for learning how to control that.

Members online

No members online now.