how do you crate train

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
How do you train a dog to go in a crate because my dog want go by it. I walk by it he take off running to other way, and I not ever put him in it because he so sacred

avenlee

Hi ! Some dogs take to the crate alot easier and faster than others. How old is your dog? If you do a search on crate training here on the forum, I'm sure you'll find alot of helpful tips and advice on the subject.

Good Luck !

Saje

Island dweller
Search the old training threads for crate training. It comes up at least once a week. You'll get lots of advice there.

Crate training is not right for every dog. It's very helpful but if he's that scared of it it may not be worthwhile.

RD

Are you dead yet?
You don't use the crate as punishment, do you? Has he had any rewards for being in the crate? How long is he usually crated when you can get him in there? I think what you need to do is make crating a positive experience for the dog, first of all, and that'll help him relax in there.

If he's pretty frightened of it, try putting his food in the crate, way at the back so he has to go in to eat. Just leave the crate door open and don't offer him food or water anywhere else.
Also.. What kind of crate are you using? Do you have a plastic airline-style crate, or a wire crate? If you have the plastic crate, try the wire one. If you have the wire crate, try a plastic one. Sometimes dogs feel more comfortable in one kind of crate than the other.
Or, like Saje said, he might just not feel secure enough in the crate. In that case, try an expen (if he's small) or a puppy-proofed room to keep him confined.

If your Neko was a rescued dog who spent time in a shelter he may be terrified of anything that reminds him of a cage. Or he may just not tolerate small, enclosed places.

Saje

Island dweller
That's a good point, Renee and it reminds me that dogs that lived in a kennel don't learn to 'respect' the home as a no-poop zone. :) so, it's harder to kennel train them.

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
no I don't use the crate as a punishment. I give him rewards. I mean I myself went in the crate to show him there was nothing to be scared of, he came in a little and starting licking me then run out, and I reward him for that. he in a wire crate. no her was not rescued, my dog had puppy and her got very mean and we have to give her away. I had him from day one. I have to keep him in they because he chew on everything and it only when i'm in school. and I take him out then I get home.

he doing a little better because I put him in it last night and I sleep by it so he doing a little better.

Staff online

Members online