Help!

Dog Nerd

My puppy has survived the first stage of the illness! I have read that this means he now has about a 50% chance of surviving.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
So you brought your older dog with, then got another puppy? *is confused*

I hope your puppy makes it through :)

bubbatd

Let's stick to the issue of the OP please . Whether he had to leave his dog at home or brought him with him doesn't matter . And yes , many here have bought mill pups without prior education .. I hope your pup recovers well and that we get pictures .

I hope the puppy makes it. But if you had to get rid of your old dog becuase you couldnt bring it with you. It makesme worry what you will do with it in 2 years when you move back, I hope you dont ditch this one.

ACooper

Good to hear he has pulled through the first stage! Thanks for keeping us posted........be sure to let us know when you know more!

Dog Nerd

But if you had to get rid of your old dog becuase you couldnt bring it with you. It makesme worry what you will do with it in 2 years when you move back, I hope you dont ditch this one.
My other dog was a Catahoula. My new puppy is a Dachshund. Dachshunds are small enough to be considered carry-ons on planes, so when I move back, I will be able to take my puppy with me. I looked into this before I bought a new dog.

Dog Nerd

Right now, I am still waiting to see whether he will go into the nerological phase of the virus.

Dog Nerd

A couple nights ago, my puppy entered the neurological phase of the virus. He started twitching and as it got worse, he looked up at me and started whimpering and moaning.
He is still able to walk, but each day the seizures come more often. I read that he only has a 5% chance of living through this phase. Is there anything I should do to help him? The vet gave me a pill to give him twice a day, but he said it was for the drainage and coughing he still has from the first phase.

goldiefur

I don't know but I sure hope he pulls through this. Good luck and God bless you and the puppy! I will pray for him.

SarahFish

Look everyone, stop being nasty to Dog Nerd. I know how they feel, not about the distemper, but making a mistake and being attacked by people on here. It's unfair and mistakes should be forgiven. And it's hardly replacement, but the company of a dog is good company and there's nothing wrong with wanting that.
Rather than buying a random new one from a skeazy source. That's pretty low.
Why did you buy from a pet store? THey are notorious for selling sick or unhealthy puppies.
This doesn't help you lot! Remember my thread about my dog's incident at the groomers, and how I was attacked and told I was stupid etc. It's not nice, just because you may know it is, at the time we didn't, so now we get a consequence to learn from. It happens, it's sad, and now we have to deal with it and get over it.

Any updates on the little one? How is he doing so far?
Thank you! This is the way to respond to this thread. And my question exactly...

I've never known a dog who has gotten distemper, but from what I've heard it can be bad. I'm really sorry you and the puppy have to go through it. Just look after it and listen to the experts, and ignore what some of the people are saying on here, they are just trying to make you feel bad, and they're really good at it too, don't listen to them, they may be right but it's a bit late now, so deal with the present situation.

goldiefur

I am so sorry to hear this.:( I was hoping your puppy would make it through. I am so sorry. GOD bless you and the puppy.

goldiefur

"They may be right but it's a bit late now, so deal with the present situation."

Exactly! It is no use bashing dognerd now. Guess what, back in the day we bought a dog from a pet store in the mall!:yikes: We were clueless about puppy mills and the other horrors that go on. We made a mistake and we learned from it. Dognerd is learning a very hard sad lesson right now and obviously dognerd loves the puppy as much as anyone else loves their dog. Just pray for dognerd and the puppy.:(

BostonBanker

I'm so sorry to hear that he's getting worse. If he is still around, I would absolutely second the suggestion to contact your previous vet in the states for more help.

A very dear canine friend of mine is a distemper survivor (six puppies taken by animal control due to neglect, all had distemper, three survived). Her owner put a lot of research and money into her health care, and the dog is happy and healthy at 6 years of age, with only occasional, minor seizures.

Members online

No members online now.