Mikey

Saje

Island dweller
Mikey went in to get neutered today. So did my bunny Niblet. Of course I will worry about them all day. <sigh>

I had them give Mikey a sedative while I was there because he hates being picked up or having his back end handled. He's gotten a lot better with that since we've gotten him. Almost 100% better but he doesn't know them and I just don't want problems. (more problems.)

I'll let you know how it goes. In case you're intersted.

Hi Saqe....

Awww....I'm so sorry that you have to worry all day about your babies. Everything will go just fine, I'm sure. I will keep them in my thoughts today, and, yes, please do let me know how it goes.

Take care,
Dena

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Poor ol boy...glad u got a sedative for him. Victor had a rough go of his..I felt so sorry for him, but the next day he acted ok. Good luck! Hope he recoups quickly.

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks guys. I do worry about them a lot even though I know that it's not that complicated an operation. It's still an operation.

I get to pick them up in 3 hours and 21 minutes. :) LOL I can't wait! I think I'll go early.

roni

K-9 lover ;)
Sage...when Rookie had his surgery he was very sore for the next couple of days. Pamper him with lots of love and kisses...as I am sure you will! Goodluck!

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks. He will be sooo pampered. The bunny too. It's not easy on them I'm sure. But I'm really hoping to see some changes in his behaviour too. I can't wait 'til the end of the day!

Saje

Island dweller
Well, they're back and very groggy. Mikey seems fine. He weaves when he walks and is very mellow but he's still doped. :) It's quite amusing. Just have to keep him from licking his stitches.

I'm a little worried about Niblet though. His hair around his eyes looks like it was all wet and dried. I don't know why that would happen. And he looks very stoned and out of sorts.

The vet assistant told me not to feed him tonight (either of them but I"m talking about niblet) but my favourite rabbit website said that it was very important to make sure they eat so their stomachs don't shut down. They can get GI Stasis very easily and die. I gave him a little bit of food because my vet is very nice but he's not a small animal vet.

I hope they'll be ok. I'm not really worried about Mikey though.

That's the news!

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks! Mikey's so funny. He keeps falling asleep in the oddest positions.

Glad to hear all went well! Your real fun will start tomorrow when Mikey is feeling up to start getting rambunctious & he's supposed to stay semi-quiet! :)

Saje

Island dweller
LOL. Yeah, I can imagine. And trying to keep him from licking. He's a big licker. :)

Just as long as he doesn't pull out any stitching the licking isn't really that big a deal. Dogs' saliva kills all sorts of nasty germy stuff. A little vitamin E oil will help keep down the itching.

Oh, here's a mean little trick to keep them from licking too much. You know the stuff you put on teething babies - I think it's called Numbz-It? Make sure you've got the baby stuff, not the adult strength and put just a drop on his tongue. He'll be so busy trying to figure out why his tongue is all tingly that he'll forget about licking his erstwhile nether regions. I've never used it on a small dog and wouldn't try simply because of the size issue, but it really helped when Shiva had her hide stitched together and kept trying to pull on the bandaging and stitching.

Amazing what you come up with when you're desperate, isn't it? ;)

Saje

Island dweller
:) Those are good tips. I suppose the vitamin E would hurt the bunny either. Better look into it though. They're odd creatures. Mikey's so sleepy. Licking isn't an issue right now!

He had the biggest pee I've ever seen a dog take when we got him out of the vets. He must have held it the whole time. What a good puppy! He could hardly lift his leg poor baby.

Saje

Island dweller
Well, I woke up not long ago. I took Mikey out for a pee and went to check on Niblet and found him dead. I have a broken heart right now and I'm very angry at the vet. Everyone on my bunny forum thinks he gave me bad advice plus I knew he looked wrong when I picked him up and asked about it. They said he was fine. He wasn't.

roni

K-9 lover ;)
Oh Sage...I am so so sorry! You knew something was wrong and they convinced you that everything was ok. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :(

avenlee

I'm so very sorry Saje! My heart and thoughts go out to you. I would definately contact or pay a visit to your vet and let them know what happened.

BIG HUGS

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks guys.

My bf just took Niblet's body to the vet. He wants to look at him and figure out what happened. I sent a bunch of print-outs on pre and post-operative care with him. I really think that this could have been prevented.

I know you guys are big dog lovers but Niblet had a wonderful personality. He'd run up to me when I came in his room for head pets and licked my face while I was sleeping a few times - before he got his own room. I really miss him. I didn't think that getting him neutered would go so badly.

For those of you who have rabbits or are thinking about getting them here is the information I sent to the vet so he can be more aware. Maybe it will help someone else:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html (further down the page is the section on pre and post-operative care.)

Members online

No members online now.