The FURminator

nedim

Anyone ever heard of this? Looks like a fancy slicker to me, and it looks to work good, so I ordered it. You can click the picture and then click where it says "video presentation" on the next page to see it in action. Do you think its worth the money?

The FURminator

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah, it's basically a fancy slicker and expensive shampoo/conditioner, but it does work. I think. We use Shed-X at work and it seems to work quite well. I think the whole principle lies around getting more of the undercoat out and the shampoo/condtioners make the coat slicker/shinier so the loose hair comes out easier and doesn't stay trapped to shed in huge amounts.

I saw the promo video at the Pet Expo back in May, and thought about getting one because Aussies shed ALOT.

If you want a cheaper brush that I think works pretty darn well for 10 bucks, look for a rubber brush called Zoom Groom. It works with static electricity...I got more hair out of Sawyer today in 5 minutes than I have the last 3 times I've gone over him with his slicker. And no, I did not invent this...you can buy them at Petsmart and other places, been around for years.

nedim

Zoom said:
Yeah, it's basically a fancy slicker and expensive shampoo/conditioner, but it does work. I think. We use Shed-X at work and it seems to work quite well. I think the whole principle lies around getting more of the undercoat out and the shampoo/condtioners make the coat slicker/shinier so the loose hair comes out easier and doesn't stay trapped to shed in huge amounts.

I saw the promo video at the Pet Expo back in May, and thought about getting one because Aussies shed ALOT.

If you want a cheaper brush that I think works pretty darn well for 10 bucks, look for a rubber brush called Zoom Groom. It works with static electricity...I got more hair out of Sawyer today in 5 minutes than I have the last 3 times I've gone over him with his slicker. And no, I did not invent this...you can buy them at Petsmart and other places, been around for years.

Wish I heard of that before giving $30 for that brush. Can you recommend a good conditioner to use on Peanut to prep her hair for the brushing to make it go as smooth as possible?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The only conditioner that I use, mainly because it's at work and free, is called ReMo and it's by Nature's Specialities. You should be able to find a good shampoo that keeps Peanut's coat soft enough to easily brush...I generally just use the Plum Silky stuff and it works great. I only use the ReMo occasionally, and mainly for the scent it leaves. They do have a good leave in conditioner...just look around the site some.

NS: http://www.naturespecialties.com/Products/

nedim

Zoom said:
The only conditioner that I use, mainly because it's at work and free, is called ReMo and it's by Nature's Specialities. You should be able to find a good shampoo that keeps Peanut's coat soft enough to easily brush...I generally just use the Plum Silky stuff and it works great. I only use the ReMo occasionally, and mainly for the scent it leaves.

NS: http://www.naturespecialties.com/Products/NSPlumSilkyShampoo.html
Thank you very much for that link, I will look into it. I have another question, if you don't mind. Is there anything I can use on peanut that will keep her from getting smelly again just 1 day after her bath? I dont understand it, but she can never smell good for more than a few hours after her bath. I use jonsons baby wash and another flea and tick shampoo (sentinel?). I also apply powder to her belly, whicjh I read helps ease the persperation. Any sugestions?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It may be the dried scent of the flea/tick stuff? What does she smell like right after her bath and then when you think she starts to 'stink'? Is it just a wet-doggie smell? Part of that could be coming from the bacteria that is always present in a dog's fur, and when it gets wet it provides a good environment for the bacteria to get active and start sending up a smell. Try blowing her dry with either a vaccum on reverse or (and be very careful not to burn her) with your mom's blowdryer and see if that cuts down on the smell at all.

I don't know, there are some doggie colognes that have some decent staying power...Fresh n' Clean is one of the more popular ones...there's some spicy vanilla stuff that I have no idea what it's called, but I convinced one of our groomers to order me a small bottle of it.

nedim

Afer her bath, shes fresh as could be. A few hours after that, she smells salty.lol, The absolute best way to describe it is to compare it to doritos.lol

Do you know where I can get Fresh N Clean from?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Petsmart I know for sure, most likely PetCo or any other pet store around your area. It's pretty cheap too.

Salty, huh? I have no idea why you would have a salty dog, but it's a good name for a bar!

nedim

Zoom said:
Petsmart I know for sure, most likely PetCo or any other pet store around your area. It's pretty cheap too.

Salty, huh? I have no idea why you would have a salty dog, but it's a good name for a bar!
LOL, ok. Thanks for all your help Zoom. :D

Mordy

Quigleyfied
nedim, most likely you aren't going to get odor under control just by working on it "from the outside" so to speak, or by trying to mask it. diet plays a large role as well.

something i know of that has helped a number of people is virgin (cold pressed, unrefined) coconut oil, at a dose of about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight per day.

nedim

Mordy said:
nedim, most likely you aren't going to get odor under control just by working on it "from the outside" so to speak, or by trying to mask it. diet plays a large role as well.

something i know of that has helped a number of people is virgin (cold pressed, unrefined) coconut oil, at a dose of about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight per day.

Where can I get coconut oil from?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
most health food stores carry it. make sure it is unrefined tho, or all the critical nutrients are going to be missing. it should also not be hydrogenated, and cold pressed is best.

i buy the organic kind from NOW foods, you can find a store locator here:
http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?cat_id=190

start feeding it slowly, about 1/4 of the amount you are going to work up to. it's better to give a little bit several times a day rather than all of it at once.

and you can also use it for topical application it is also a mild disinfectant and promotes wound healing.

oh and don't be surprised - coconut oil is solid at room temperature. :) it looks pretty much like white wax in a jar.

nedim

Mordy said:
most health food stores carry it. make sure it is unrefined tho, or all the critical nutrients are going to be missing. it should also not be hydrogenated, and cold pressed is best.

i buy the organic kind from NOW foods, you can find a store locator here:
http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?cat_id=190

start feeding it slowly, about 1/4 of the amount you are going to work up to. it's better to give a little bit several times a day rather than all of it at once.

and you can also use it for topical application it is also a mild disinfectant and promotes wound healing.

oh and don't be surprised - coconut oil is solid at room temperature. :) it looks pretty much like white wax in a jar.
Ok, thank you very much for the info Mordy.

RD

Are you dead yet?
It isn't a slicker brush, it is a lot like a #40 clipper blade on a handle. I use the #40 to card the dog's coat (it gets rid of all excess undercoat after you brush out the bulk of it) Using the 40 is less comfortable on your hands than the furminator brush, but it also doesn't cost $50.. lol. You'd be AMAZED at how much hair I get out of dogs using that blade, especially dogs with medium-length hair and undercoats, like Labs.

As for the shampoo system, I suppose it's worth a shot, but I don't see how it would make that big of a difference. If you get your dog bathed well, and blowdried without any conditioner, the dead hair will fluff up and be easy to brush/card out.

I wouldn't spend my money on the furminator, but that's JMO. :)

nedim

RD said:
It isn't a slicker brush, it is a lot like a #40 clipper blade on a handle. I use the #40 to card the dog's coat (it gets rid of all excess undercoat after you brush out the bulk of it) Using the 40 is less comfortable on your hands than the furminator brush, but it also doesn't cost $50.. lol. You'd be AMAZED at how much hair I get out of dogs using that blade, especially dogs with medium-length hair and undercoats, like Labs.

As for the shampoo system, I suppose it's worth a shot, but I don't see how it would make that big of a difference. If you get your dog bathed well, and blowdried without any conditioner, the dead hair will fluff up and be easy to brush/card out.

I wouldn't spend my money on the furminator, but that's JMO. :)

Thanks for the info RD. But, it's not my money.lol

nedim

UPDATE
I got the FURminator in the mail today. Wow. I was so astonished to see...what a piece of crap that thing is! The slicker I paid $5 for does a MUCH better job of removing the dead hair. I'll see if I can return it and get my 30 bucks back.

Dreeza

that sucks! yah, send it back! i like my shedding blade...works wonders...i think its the same thing as the slicker

and we have these doggie wipes that we use in between baths on oakley...and they smell good...but like mordy said...thats just covering up the smell. they are just like baby wipes...and oakley thinks that they are toys, and wants to eat them (which is REALLY annoying, haha)...i dunno how much they would help...oakley just doesnt really smell...he barely has the wet dog smell at all

Dog_eze

JerzGroomer
Hey everyone. I am new here and see that it is a bit late for a reply to this topic, but I would like to add that I have in fact been recently using the furminator at work. I find that it is great for dogs with short rough hair that tend to shed a lot. I got so much out of this one pug that the lady called and asked what I did to her dog, because to her surprise he was not shedding after being bathed. She was so happy that she then sent me two more customers! :)

Members online

No members online now.