can u show a dog after it was spayed

frznbuns

That is one thing I do not like about showing in comformation. I had a great Doberman female, She was perfect in every way! Would have been a great show dog. She slipped on the ice and broke a few teeth and they had to be pulled. So she was missing 4 teeth. So then we could not show her. If showing is to show the breed, then the owner should be able to show an altered dog! My point is that things happen and sometimes a dog needs to be altered but it that dog is perfect example of the breed then you should be able to show. Just my opinion.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't want to show my dogs anyway lol not in conformation at least. Seems a little to serious and not enough fun for you and the dog. I want something where my dog and I can run around and play and if he messes up well it was just for fun anyway and as long as we enjoyed ourselves than mission accomplished.

although have you seen that "nutts for mutts" dog show they have every year. i can't remember where it is (saw it on the animal planet) and it helps support animal shelters and such. haha it's so cute. it's all for mutts no pure breeds allowed lol and they do silly things like the best tail wag. best kisser, fastest runner, best trick, best costume. Just silly fun things like that. I thinks omething like that would be great fun for both parties. :D

p.s.- I know i didn't answer the question but i don't want to be repetitive lol

showpug

Well, I can say that conformation showing is what you make of it. If you choose to be a political basket case then no, it's not fun. I can tell you, that I have some incredible memories with my dogs that happened in the show ring, and YES WE HAD FUN!!! There are bad people out there that make showing a chore for the dog, but the majority of the people I know truly love their dogs and make training and showing a fun and rewarding experience for their dogs. I always make sure they get the yummiest treats and get to play with their favorite toy WHILE IN THE RING!!! I will always show in conformation because it is a lot of fun and you are surrounded by a lot of people that love your breed as much as you do. We sit around and talk for hours with our pugs on our laps...it's a ton of fun!! My pug used to know when she would get to a show, she would start barking and wagging her tail and jumping around in her crate. She also knew when she won!! The judges used to always say to me "does that tail ever stop wagging?" I said nope!!!! Anyway, I am all for all types of dog competition. I think it just comes down to finding something you enjoy doing with your dog and making it fun for the dog. It is hard for me to hear all the stereotypes that people assume about conformation dog shows. They just aren't true for the most part. :(

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well I am thinking about the political basket cases ou were talking about lol. Like have any of you seen that show "show dog mom's and dad's" those people are insane. I can't imagine that being fun for the dog. but I do see your point about the people that do it just because they lvoe their dog and its fun :D but i guess every competition has its extremists :D

showpug

sparks19 said:
Well I am thinking about the political basket cases ou were talking about lol. Like have any of you seen that show "show dog mom's and dad's" those people are insane. I can't imagine that being fun for the dog. but I do see your point about the people that do it just because they lvoe their dog and its fun :D but i guess every competition has its extremists :D
You are right, and I have seen "Show Dog Mom's and Dads." To me, that show makes me livid because it makes the general public think that that is how "show people" act and carry on. Yes, some do, but the majority do not. It is like the movie "Best In Show." I hate to admit that there are some people out there that actually act that way, but most do not. I just think that people put on TV what will sell, not what is true. It's like all the pitbull hype. They only tell the bad, never the good because it's the bad that stirs the pot and gets people going. :)

Sprout

Brussels Griffon
Yes, you can. I am in 4-H with sprout.. we show in handling, showmanship, agility, and obedience :) the only thing you cant do is go to the big TV AKC shows :) but you can in obedience, etc

M

Manchesters

Titles

TD=Tracking Dog

Speaking of bragging, I just found out that one of my great-grandsons now has 8 All Breed Best In Shows, and is the #1 Toy Manchester and #6 Toy Dog in Canada. He has both his Canadian and American Championships. It is gratifying to know that I did contribute to improving the breed.........which is the whole point of breeding.

The lady who got me addicted to Toy Manchesters helped to re-establish Manchester Terriers in England after the 2nd World War. The breed was on the verge of extinction, and one of Mary's males was exported to England, and was one of two males who brought the breed back into existence. His name was Ch. Gwinnywillows Thunderstorm.

avenlee

Wow, all of your knowledge on the subject (everyone) is awesome and it boggles my mind. Maybe I'll need to read through this thread after I go home and have .. ummm.. a couple of glasses of wine :p

Honestly though, I'd never be able to understand all this stuff, but it sounds great and I love to learn about this stuff.

moe

lol I was just going to say the same Gallien Jacks lol although neutered male dont get very far if the truth be told, bitches can and do, do very well if they are spayed,

KC Rules and regulations
Regulations for the Preparations of dogs for Exhibition.
3.No act or operation which alters the natural conformation of the dog or any part thereof may be performed except:
(a) Operations certified to the satisfaction of the General Committee.
(b) The removal of dewclaws of any breed.
(c) The shortening of tails of customarily docked breeds but only up to an acceptable age limit which shall be prescribed from time to time.
(d) Operations to prevent breeding, provided such operations are notified to the Kennel Club before the neutered dogs are shown

Mo

Members online

No members online now.