This is retarded

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Jazz-s city liscence was suposed to be $20 but I went in to do it and they want $100! They want me to liscence her as a "viscious and dangerous" d6g. Thats a quote BTW. Would that not be the same as a beware of dog sign were if she did bite someone they could say I knew she was dangerous because I liscenced her as such? They also had to ask me if a dobfman and a dobermam pinscher were the same breed

Sweet72947

Squishy face
They wanted you to license a SHOW DOG with no bite history as a "dangerous and vicious dog?" WTF? If you did liscense her as that I would think that would make it hard for you legally should anything happen...

Maxy24

Can you refuse? I mean...She's not dangerous or vicious and it would be false to label her as such. What pieces of sh!t.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I would refuse... there's absolutely NO way I would pay $100 or even a single CENT to label a dog as dangerous if she/he has shown no bite history. No way. I hope you stood up to them... I agree with Cristy... if you do license her as such and something happens down the road that might cause some problems legally since they've already labeled her as a dangerous dog.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I would refuse... there's absolutely NO way I would pay $100 or even a single CENT to label a dog as dangerous if she/he has shown no bite history. No way. I hope you stood up to them... I agree with Cristy... if you do license her as such and something happens down the road that might cause some problems legally since they've already labeled her as a dangerous dog.
ditto ^^

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
good reason to always check out dog statutes when moving. If they have your address you actually might want to be VERY careful about refusing. This may escalate into them coming to your home for an "inspection" and making sure your yard is secure and you have whatever containment might be considered necessary to house a dangerous dog.

Can of worm potential is high on this one. You can argue with the law...but if it was on the books when you moved there, I don't fancy your chances. I'd use extreme caution about giving them ANY info on my dogs or my whereabouts within that city.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Before we moved I called and went online and didnt find anything like it. Eric called last week and got a quote and told them the breeds. They said $10 and $20. He just called and threatened to sell the house and both of us quit the fire dept. They want a copy of her Ch and TT certs and will put it before the council.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Have they shown you a copy of the ordinance? Shown you where to look it up? Given you a pamplet listing the breeds that have to be registered as "vicious" (what crap)? Are you sure they aren't just pulling this out of their collective butts?

If the dog has no bite history and they don't have a BSL rule, then they have no basis for this. On the other hand, be careful, these people can get vindictive . . . look at Littleton.

Edit: In the US, this would be an Equal Protection violation, i.e. arbitrarily declaring a dog vicious without legal basis or factual basis. I'm not sure in Canada, but it reeks of the "ignorant bureaucrat on power trip syndrome."

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Would there be a place that I can look it up to see if it breaks any laws? It has to actualy be a bylaw right? Not just some typed piece of papper in a binder?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I know that here in the USA they have a lot of State Codes and stuff on the internet in their entirety. Do you think they have anything like that for provinces and stuff?

xpaeanx

Before we moved I called and went online and didnt find anything like it. Eric called last week and got a quote and told them the breeds. They said $10 and $20. He just called and threatened to sell the house and both of us quit the fire dept. They want a copy of her Ch and TT certs and will put it before the council.
That's rediculous. Did you check for banned breed laws in your area? I live in NY and here dogs are judged based on action not breed. Also, licensing prices here are cheap for a fixed dog, but more expensive for an unaltered dog. If she hasn't biten anyone then she shouldn't be labled as dangerous. And I would NOT label her as such, because if she does ever bite someone then it probably will come back and bit you in the butt. My aunt's dog attacked someone that opened her fence and came into the yard. They tried to sue her saying that she knew the dog was vicious, but there where not prior bite incidents and nothing to prove she knew he was, so she was safe because of that.

xpaeanx

Would there be a place that I can look it up to see if it breaks any laws? It has to actualy be a bylaw right? Not just some typed piece of papper in a binder?
You can try a quick search online too. If something is banned/controlled in a state or county you can normally find that online. The person you spoke with was probably just PMSing because s/he is stuck in a chair with nothing else to stroke his/her ego. They obviously don't know a whole hell of a lot of what does are "dangerous" if they dont' even know that a doberman is short way of saying doberman pinscher.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Thanks. Im going in first thing monday. If they wanted to label her a restricted breed then fine. But a viscious and dangerous DOG is an individual thing and could get me in deep if she did ever bite someone. They said its more because the dog catcher could get bit if he had to catch her. Because that couldnt happen with a cat :rolleyes:

Members online