Ear infections

Maxy24

My aunt's dog Phoebe, A shih-Tzu, keeps getting ear infections. They take her to the vet, get medicine and ear cleaner. They use the medicine as long as the doctor says and continue to regularly clean her ears but it seems that a few weeks after they clear up she gets a new one. She has had three in a row recently. What could be causing this and how can they prevent it?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Is it possible it's a yeast infection?

Buddy used to get them regularly and then we started to clean his ears regularly and he's not had one since this summer *knock on wood*

Herschel always talk about this blue stuff.. maybe he'll come around and offer that advice again. :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
Max has the same problem with one ear. The vet gave us something new to try that's like an antiseptic. You put 2 or 3 drops in the ear for 10 days; it breaks up all the dirt inside so it comes loose. No cleaning solution is used during this time. Once it's cleared, you can use cleaning solution every week or two. If the dirty ear infection starts to come back we can use this again. It's safe on the ears. Here's the name of the drops: ZYMOX I think you have to get it from the vet.

Maxy24

That blue stuff sounds good, I'll tell them about it. They are at the vet now so they'll be getting stuff to clear up the infection and then when that's all done I'll tell them to stir up a batch of that and see how it works for them. Or should it be used at the same time as what ever the vet gives them?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I would use it instead of the stuff the vet gave them, see if it will clear it up. The stuff from the vet is obviously not working if they are having to repeatedly go back for more.

Herschel

Herschel always talk about this blue stuff.. maybe he'll come around and offer that advice again. :)
Here I am!

That blue stuff sounds good, I'll tell them about it. They are at the vet now so they'll be getting stuff to clear up the infection and then when that's all done I'll tell them to stir up a batch of that and see how it works for them. Or should it be used at the same time as what ever the vet gives them?
Herschel had recurring ear "infections" when he was a puppy. The vet had us hooked on her cleaning solution, which always seemed to remove gunk but never cured the problem. Herschel started to fear the bottle and scream because it burned him so much. I saw a post on here for Blue Power Wash and decided to try it, despite my skepticism. My girlfriend thought I was insane.

This thread has everything you need:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58357

Members online

No members online now.