Everyone on Chaz I need your opinion on what I should do!

Paige

Let it be
My bestfriend has to get rid of her dogs. Not for forever but for around six months to a year. She has to move and the only place she has found that allows pets only allows cats. She's taking her two kitties with her but seeing as it's a basement suite it's not like she can hide her dogs. She has asked me if I can take them. This normally wouldn't be an issue but her dogs are... well.... "special".

She has a Cocker Spaniel cross and a Malteses cross. One is ten pounds and one is three. My dogs are around 40 pounds and play way more rough than these two do. My boys are good with small dogs though so that isn't the problem. The problem is the 10 pound Cocker cross. She's rather rank and dog aggressive aswell.

The other dog is missing teeth. She has a harder time eating because of it. These dogs both have zero training. They don't know come, sit, down... anything. They both are barkers which doesn't bug me but it might bug my neighbors.

With all the negatives aside I feel like I should take them in for the time being. I know she'll figure things out and take them back. I am just not sure how I can make it work. Do you guys think it sounds like I can do it? If I do take the dogs how can I make this work? Should I attempt to introduce the Cocker to my dogs or should I just keep her dogs and mine apart? Is that even possible?

Paige

Let it be
So you think it'd work with a not so dog friendly dog? I think she could get over it but I am not sure how to go about it.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, you never know what a good dose of training will do. I'm no expert and i don't know how badly mannered her dogs are, but it's worth a shot if you're up for it.

Paige

Let it be
The one is decent. Very easydog to have around. The other is just a terror.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, maybe the terror needs to go somewhere else? With a friend with no other pets? it really depends on how willing you are to let your house get in an uproar. :)

milos_mommy

Take the well-behaved one in.

Tell her she needs to get the terror training, and see if he changes at all. If not, you could take him and try and keep him seperate (i do it, not THAT hard), or tell her she needs to find somewhere else for him to stay.

Good luck to her, and to you if you try and take them.

It's such a nice thing that you have offered. And it's good that you are thinking this through carefully. Aside from the behavior issues, think a little further. What if the dogs get sick? Will you take them to the vet? Are you up for medications, etc? I recently took in a supposedly healthy dog to care for until she found a home. Soon after I got her I realized that she was incontinent and had a chronic staph infection. It was very difficult to deal with in addition to my dog - lots of meds and several vet trips. And she barked, which didn't bother me in itself, but it caused stressed because I worried about the neighbors being upset. Also there is the bathing, brushing, general caring for the dogs. I'm just pointing out some of the things you might want to consider before making a decision. On the other hand it may be a breeze. Good luck on your decision. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i wonder how many of us here have taken a dog or dogs in such a situation then had them end up permanent. Be prepared.

ACooper

Yep, I agree with smkie too. If you take them in be prepared for it to be permanent just in case.

Also, as much as the dogs and your friend my need you, your first responsibility is to YOUR pets. It was their home first and if anything is going to upset the balance or make it extra hard for them I would think long and hard.

It won't make you a bad person or non-animal lover to say no, just an animal lover that is responsible to YOUR responsibilities FIRST :)

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
The other thing is, it isn't very considerate of your best friend to drop her animals upon you. It's kind of like taking somebody's kids. I mean there are favors you do for people and then there are impositions.

Fran27

I'm just wondering what is making her think that in 6 months/1 year she will be able to find a place that accepts dogs, and if so, why didn't she find one now?

I would think long and hard before you decide. If its going to cause a big uproar in your house, I wouldn't do it. Like others have said, your first responsibility is to your own dogs.

goldiefur

Why can't she find a place now that accepts dogs? I would NEVER move to a place that did not take dogs and that is also a good point will she find a dog accepting place in six months? No way I would go move to a cardboard box before giving up my dogs even if she has to move to the next town she needs to find a place that allows dogs.

Members online

No members online now.