Just Sad

The independent, family owned Pharmacy I've worked for for the last 8 years was sold to a chain and is to be shut down in 15 days.

I'm just so sad.

We all knew it was coming in a way, our boss had been taking phone calls from his cell in secret, making little comments under his breath when he thought we were out of ear shot ("Yeah, a lot of fun times in this place." "This isn't going to go over well" while looking at a congrats card from a customer for being a great pharmacy.) but we all had been under the impression that if anything was going to happen it would be in November when the lease was up and even that was uncertain because he had been talking to the landlords for a different lease.

Yesterday he called all the techs in and told us that if he got the contract in his hand tomorrow (today) we would be putting a sign up telling our customers that we were closing the doors in 15 days.

It's just too soon, too fast with so little notice. I have worked there since highschool and when I started I had one three hour shift at night once a week and have been there for 8 years moving from that to more hours to working both the front of the store (medical) and a part time tech to full tech duties.

I never intended to stay there forever and was in fact looking for another job but it's just different being told it's gone in 15 days. That I'll not see so many of our customers again, that I more than likely won't see our pharmacists or tech or other co-workers. That it will just be gone, bought out by a chain to just close it down. A pharmacy that's been in business for over well over 30 years with many of the same customers.

Yesterday when he told us I was just so angry at him. I understand he needs to close it down, his health has been going from the amount of stress he's under and between the chains, mail order and the government sales have just been plummeting. But 15 days is nothing and I was so angry he knew this was in the works but only told us a day before the customers will find out. Right after I decided not to try to pursue a job full time job lead because I would have to leave the pharmacy with little notice and I couldn't leave them in that type of lurch.

And today I'm just sad. It was awful at work today, not being able to tell customers that no, they won't see us in a couple weeks and knowing that I won't be here to hear if this women pulls through cancer, or how this girls drivers license test goes. That I'm going to miss so many of our customers that I won't even get to say goodbye too.

Every little thing makes me want to start crying.

And I know a lot of people loose their jobs and I've been incredibly lucky that I've had such a great job for so long and never had to really worry. But it just doesn't make this easier.

And on top of it both my mom and sister also work there and will both be loosing their jobs along with me. The only good news to come out of this is that the front end of the store will be kept open for four more months to get rid of stock and my mom will run it. So she gets some time to look for a job and money will keep coming in.

So now I have decisions to make about what I want to do, work, possibly moving and just life and with so little warning.

But yeah, mostly this is just a post of my sad. I love everyone I work with even if they drive me nuts. And no matter how mad I am at my boss and how frustrated he's made me throughout the years I really really like the man and I'm going to miss him and everyone else so much.

It's normal to feel down, but you're a good person and I'm sure you'll come thru just fine. Doesn't mean it will all be smooth, but keep your head up and eyes open. Sometimes the most pressure creates big and awesome change. It might take a while, but I have no doubt which end you're coming out on.

Sending good vibes.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
(((hugs))) It just hit me the other day that next year I likely won't be at the clinic that I've grown up working in. And that really makes me sad. I've been at the clinic since highschool and the staff and frequent clients are almost like family. It's really going to suck leaving.

But just like RTH said....new doors will open up, life will go on, and I'm sure you'll find another place to not only work, but that will provide you with the same family atmosphere.

Lots of new job finding vibes heading you and your families' way. I'm sure something will come along.

Airn

I'm sorry :(

I just recently started working in a Pharmacy and I love it. Getting to know the customers... especially the older people who are full of stories. It's opened my eyes to a lot of things.

I hope you'll be able to find a place where you can get to know the customers and be happy like you can within a Pharmacy. Luckily, techs are always needed (around here, at least) so if you want continue being a tech, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Sorry, Linds. Goods vibes to you and your family, as well as your coworkers

noludoru

Bored Now.
I don't anything useful to add here except lots of (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) and Middie kisses and possible some overexcited Visla kisses as well.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's terrible. :( I think your boss should have told you a few more days in advance, give you guys some extra warning to start looking for more jobs.

Staff online

Members online