Would you eat in a restaurant alone?

Would you eat alone in a restaurant?

• Yes, why wouldn't I?

Votes: 42 73.7%
  • No way, far too weird or embarrassing or stressful.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.... ?

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Doesn't bother me at all. Which is good given I travel and I'd go hungry if I weren't comfortable eating in restaurants alone. It's only annoying if I am enjoying a bit of peace, my own thoughts, and/or a good book and the waiter feels a responsibility to form a bond with me since I'm sitting alone lol. Happens more than you'd think.

ETA: I honestly didn't know this was a source of stress for people until I went to college. My random and very sweet roommate freshman year suddenly confessed halfway through the first term that she was skipping lunch some days because she didn't have anyone to eat with and eating by herself was not an option for her. So we arranged to eat together on those days. I enjoy eating with people it just doesn't bother me to eat alone.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I do it all the time. It's a great opportunity to "people watch".

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Honestly, I never thought about it as any big deal, or deal at all, until I read this thread. So yes, I would.

crazedACD

I don't eat alone usually, because it's kind of weird to me to like...get up right now and say I'm going to dinner by myself :p. I guess I don't really eat 'out' just for a good meal, I usually eat out with other people to spend time with them. I cannot bring myself to go to a bar alone, not at all. Maybe if I was traveling and went down to the hotel bar, that's about it.

I've never seen a movie alone but I might someday. I'd prefer to get someone to go with me.

Kimbers

I wouldn't have trouble at a cafe or something, like others have said. But if it's a place I wouldn't feel comfortable going in with some pretty casual street clothes on, no. I just wouldn't see the point.

The odd thing is, I feel really bad for people eating alone at fast food places. If they look absorbed in a book or something, I don't mind, but if I see someone sitting alone and not really doing anything to occupy their time, I feel an urge to go sit and talk with them so they don't feel alone. I'm sure they're fine being alone, they probably even like it sometimes. I'm just really awkward.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Add me to the list of "never even thought of it being weird" people.

I don't ever really go out to eat by myself though, I'm too cheap, and if I'm going to pay someone to make me food, I want to make it a date or other special fun time.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
ETA: I honestly didn't know this was a source of stress for people until I went to college.
Oddly enough there are also people who get anxiety about eating in front of other people - mostly I hear this from women about eating in front of men, which makes the fact that dinner dates are incredibly common rather difficult I would think. My mom was dating my dad for a LONG time before she would eat in front of him...

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I selected "other", because while I can and would eat at a restaurant alone, I'd rather not.

ETA: It's not because I feel it's weird, or uncomfortable, or anything like that. I just usually can't justify spending restaurant money on only myself. :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I wouldn't. I'd rather just get it to go and eat at home. It's not so much that eating alone at a restaurant would be embarrassing (although I would probably feel uncomfortable), but for me it's more... what's the appeal in eating alone at a restaurant?

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I wouldn't. I'd rather just get it to go and eat at home. It's not so much that eating alone at a restaurant would be embarrassing (although I would probably feel uncomfortable), but for me it's more... what's the appeal in eating alone at a restaurant?
This. ReallyI would just rather be home, in the quiet, in my PJ's with my favorite show or good movie and without paying $5 a drink, sitting on my comfy couch knowing that after the meal I don't have to get up and go anywhere lol.

In a trip alone, totally eating in bed :D

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
A few reasons for eating alone :)

- Restaurant food is usually much better right out of the kitchen
- Stemming from above.. new restaurant you want to try
- People eating alone are often mistaken for food critics, I've gotten my fair share of free drinks, free dessert etc..
- Test out a restaurant/table in preparation for date or other occasion. The time to find out where the best tables are, where you can hear the toilets flushing, where the best view is etc.. is at a test run. Not at dinner with your mother in law.
- Portion control/speed. You are much more likely to watch how much you are eating and actually enjoy what you are eating while calmly and properly eating alone at a restaurant than at home while watching tv and shoving food in your mouth absentmindedly
- You have a good book you want to catch up on. I am more likely to read a book out and about than I am at home with Netflix to seduce me into its depths.
-Practice your table manners. I eat in more often than not and can get rusty. It's nice to know I've still got it lol
- Meet people/people watch. Nobody is going to wander into your living room and say hello.. but you can meet and see all kinds of people when eating alone. You are often more approachable and hey, it's nice to see people instead of being isolated sometimes
- Get out of the house. Great atmosphere, good music, fresh air, do a little shopping after
- Chance to dress up/try a new outfit. again, the time to see if that dress is going to work is not on a date.. it's when you are by yourself lol
- No dishes to clean
- Part of a date with yourself. Do a little walking afterwards, do some shopping, get some ice cream!
- Be dotted on. It's nice to have your wine poured for you and be waited on sometimes
- People watch. People are interesting, people on dates even more so lol

-Because you are awesome and deserved to be wined and dined even if it's by yourself :rofl1:

I'm sure there are many more lol but just some of the reasons.

Saeleofu

Um, yes? Well I mean technically I have Logan with me, but he doesn't really count :p

The odd thing is, I feel really bad for people eating alone at fast food places. If they look absorbed in a book or something, I don't mind, but if I see someone sitting alone and not really doing anything to occupy their time, I feel an urge to go sit and talk with them so they don't feel alone. I'm sure they're fine being alone, they probably even like it sometimes. I'm just really awkward.
If you did this to me, I'd probably think you were a creep and leave as soon as possible, and be sure not to drive directly home in case you decided to follow me :rofl1:

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My mother in law and I would find it hilarious if we ended up seated next to an area where we could hear toilets flushing. One time we went on a hunt for a tea house and ended up at TGI Fridays. With Hamnah drinking iced tea out of coffee mugs. The big joke was "pinkies out" LOL. Yeah we could have pre planned and scouted but we wouldn't have ended up with the hilarious, awesome story that was our 2 hour adventure to find a tea housr only to end up at TGIFridays lol. But then, my MIL is AWESOME and we have a great time
Together with some hilarious stories to tell :D

I think dining alone depends on the personality. I love being home but i am also out A Lot. Out with Hannah I meet A LOT of people. We have a lady we have gotten familiar with at the bowling alley that runs a league there. Don't even know her but we are on hugging "so nice to see you" terms lol. We meet new people A LOT lol

Treating yourself is relative. Some people like baths with candles... Not my thing at all. I like a comfy couch with a blanket and a good show :). That is my idea of me time :)

Plus one of our favorite restaurants is a local diner and they know us. It is like cheers LOL. We come in and it is hugs all around and HOW YOU DOIN! I love it. I am not the kind of person for being invisible in a crowd. I love being surrounded by familiarity. We get in LOTS of people watching in our average week ;)

Red.Apricot

A few reasons for eating alone :)

- Restaurant food is usually much better right out of the kitchen
- Stemming from above.. new restaurant you want to try
- People eating alone are often mistaken for food critics, I've gotten my fair share of free drinks, free dessert etc..
- Test out a restaurant/table in preparation for date or other occasion. The time to find out where the best tables are, where you can hear the toilets flushing, where the best view is etc.. is at a test run. Not at dinner with your mother in law.
- Portion control/speed. You are much more likely to watch how much you are eating and actually enjoy what you are eating while calmly and properly eating alone at a restaurant than at home while watching tv and shoving food in your mouth absentmindedly
- You have a good book you want to catch up on. I am more likely to read a book out and about than I am at home with Netflix to seduce me into its depths.
-Practice your table manners. I eat in more often than not and can get rusty. It's nice to know I've still got it lol
- Meet people/people watch. Nobody is going to wander into your living room and say hello.. but you can meet and see all kinds of people when eating alone. You are often more approachable and hey, it's nice to see people instead of being isolated sometimes
- Get out of the house. Great atmosphere, good music, fresh air, do a little shopping after
- Chance to dress up/try a new outfit. again, the time to see if that dress is going to work is not on a date.. it's when you are by yourself lol
- No dishes to clean
- Part of a date with yourself. Do a little walking afterwards, do some shopping, get some ice cream!
- Be dotted on. It's nice to have your wine poured for you and be waited on sometimes
- People watch. People are interesting, people on dates even more so lol

-Because you are awesome and deserved to be wined and dined even if it's by yourself :rofl1:

I'm sure there are many more lol but just some of the reasons.
All of this, but especially the people watching.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
LOL maybe we have seen enough "action" throughout te week that really wr just want our living room and NO action for a while :p

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I've eaten at places similar to Panera by myself. If there was ever some place fancier I wanted to go and I really had no one to go with, I'd eat by myself. I usually don't because I'm a huge foodie and I like the social aspect of trying and discussing all of the different foods. I'd be bored eating yummy food by myself. :p

This! I'm going to my first movie by myself tomorrow, I've planned it, LOL. I really wanna see Silver Linings Playbook and all my friends have already seen it, and I have a gift card.
Pick me, pick me!

Members online

No members online now.