Any Thoughts On This List?

katzand

Hi All:

I like this article I saw on the Top 5 Dog Foods Reviewed for 2012. I have not tried any of them and would like to start my Doberman on one of them.

I'd appreciate some feedback especially if you have tried two or more of them and if you liked one more than another.

The article states that their number one dog food pick is Taste of the Wild.

Feedback appreciated.

JacksonsMom

I don't agree with their list personally.

I like to pay attention to WHERE a food is produced, WHO produces and manufactures it, how many recalls and how they were handled, customer service, etc, etc.

I think TOTW is a very decent "bang for your buck" type food. But it IS a Diamond brand food. I don't really like Diamond and I wasn't huge on TOTW's customer service. Just don't entirely trust them. But a lot of dogs do well on it.... they've had a lot of FDA warnings, and I've heard lots of stuff about them that isn't talked about much, but I just don't find the food entirely trust worthy.

I think Blue Buffalo is also a decent brand. Certainly one of the best, if not THE best, choices at Petsmart. They did have an incident of vitamin D (or something) over-load and a couple dogs died.

Natural Balance... again, manufactured at a Diamond facility. I don't mind them though, as a company, but again... not entirely comforting knowing where it's made. I also think most of the formulas are way too expensive and basically a bag of potatoes.

A lot of foods can look GREAT on paper; but not be so great in reality. So I've just learned to thoroughly research where the food is made and not blindly go by recommendations on the internet or ingredient lists.

Also, so many people get hung up on "oh, well this is a 5 star food compared to this which is a 2 star food!" Those ratings... are just someone's opinion. They take nothing into account about recalls, or manufacturing, etc. Anything that's SUPER super high in protein and loaded with a gazillion different meat ingredients automatically tend to get the highest rating. Like, I don't think TOTW and Orijen should even be in the same category. Also, keep in mind, www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a great place to view all the foods, the ingredients, etc, but it's written by a HUMAN dentist.

JMO. :)

I have my own personal "Top Ten" dog food brands (you learn a LOT working at a pet food store), and of those listed (TOTW, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, and Orijen)...only Orijen is included in my personal list. I base my opinions on foods by the company, the ingredients, their standards/actions, etc.

Plus, some of the things on the list weren't even true. Natural Balance was listed as least expensive, while Wellness was listed as more expensive. I know there will be differences regionally, and differences when looking in stores vs. online...but at least where I am, Orijen is by far the most expensive, TOTW the least, with the other three falling close together in the middle.

Michiyo-Fir

I agree with Jackson'sMom. I don't feed TOTW just because of the recall issues that have occurred with Diamond before with their other foods so I'm a little suspicious of the quality of their ingredients.

On the other hand, I love Orijen because it's locally sourced, and locally produced and any champion pet food item is by far my most trusted company. That means for me Acana and Orijen are at the top of the list. Those are all good foods definitely though.

Doberluv

My dogs have done fine on TOTW. I think it's a good food. I believe that something can go wrong with any commercial food or treat. And just because a recall hasn't happened with one brand yet, doesn't mean it won't. Anyhow, I have also fed Costco's Kirkland brand, but quite a long time ago. It thought it was a pretty okay food, maybe not the very best, but for the money.... I wanted to refresh my memory on it so looked it up and this is what I came to http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/ and what was linked to that:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-reviews-problems/

The Problem with Dog Food Reviews
by MIKE SAGMAN

Dog food reviews have at least one critical shortcoming. They can never reveal the true quality of the ingredients that were used to make the products they attempt to judge.
And that can be a real problem.
Why It’s Difficult to Control the Quality
of Dog Food Ingredients
Not only do most pet food companies conceal the origin of their ingredients, they also change the sources as well as the quality of those ingredients on a regular basis.
Many raw materials used to make dog foods are bought and sold in commercial-sized lots on the open market.
Bulk prices vary. And so does quality.
From day to day, it’s not unusual for an ingredient to come from a different farm, a different storage facility or a different state.
Even a different country.
Although better companies procure their ingredients directly from trusted manufacturers, others may buy their raw materials through brokers and middlemen.
And many times through less-reputable third party suppliers.
What’s worse, manufacturers are not legally required to report these changes to consumers.
That’s why the method used to review a product is so important.
The Only Objective Way to Review Dog Food
Although there are many ways to rate a dog food, we’ve settled on using the only reliable information we feel we can consistently trust.
We read and interpret government-regulated pet food labels. Nothing more. And we do this in two simple steps.
We study the ingredients list
We estimate the meat content
As reviewers, we don’t test dog food. We don’t taste it. And we rarely trust marketing hype. Manufacturer’s claims. Or the fancy artwork on the package.
Nor should you.
Yet Those Nagging Questions Persist
Of course, like everyone else, we still yearn to know more…
Where do the ingredients come from?
Are they food grade? Feed grade? Or agricultural rejects?
Are they fresh?
Will my dog like the taste?
Is the kibble the right size for my pet?
Have they been tested for chemical or biological contamination?
These are all legitimate questions. Some of them can be answered by simply visiting a company’s website. Or calling their customer service number.
Yet remember, company information can be biased.. and almost always subject to change.
That’s why we’re reluctant to simply re-broadcast a manufacturer’s marketing message. We fear it could be misleading and provide a false sense of security to our readers.
The Overlooked Value
of Real Life Experiences and Results
Reviews can never predict results. However, there’s one valuable source of information that can help. It’s easy to access. Practical. And yet commonly overlooked.
Our readers comments.
So, be sure to check out the Comments section at the end of each review for a more complete picture of each dog food.
Before you buy.
There you’ll find a wealth of helpful information from our readers — dog owners and breeders as well as community-minded veterinary professionals, nutritionists and dog food companies.
Tips and suggestions on feeding
Candid opinions about specific dog foods
Reports of real life experiences and results
Comments about a company’s customer service
Best of all, find out whether our readers’ dogs give a “tails up†or a “tails down†to the taste of a particular product.
So, What Do Our Stars Really Mean?
We tend to dislike dog foods made with by-products of any kind (plant or animal). And we downgrade recipes that use controversial chemicals or non-meat protein boosters.
Yet we shamelessly favor dog foods rich in meat.
In general, a five star dog food is one that is high in meat content and free of any by-products, suspicious chemicals or plant-based protein boosters.
So, does that mean a one-star dog food is bad for your dog?
No, probably not. A product with a low star rating isn’t necessarily a bad product. Some dogs can thrive on these recipes.
It’s just that we passionately believe you should know what you’re paying for. And dog foods made with by-products and less meat should be judged for what they really are…
Lower quality dog foods.
The Bottom Line
The reviews published on this website are not intended to suggest that feeding a particular product will result in specific health benefits for your pet. They should only be used as a tool to help you make a more informed decision when buying dog food.
And remember…
Consumers are forever at the mercy of dog food manufacturers. Even with their well-meaning promises and guarantees, each batch of ingredients can be notably different from the previous one.
The variations in quality of the finished foods can be significant.
So, as a policy, we deliberately avoid reporting the source or the condition of the ingredients mentioned in our reviews.
Because of these quality variations, dog food recalls are inevitable, even from the very best companies. No written assurance from any manufacturer (or product reviewer) can ever guarantee safety.
Your best defense? Be sure to check back regularly for all the latest comments, reviews and information about dog food recalls.
And please don’t forget to share what you know about a dog food or a company. Because your knowledge and experience can make a difference.
The Dog Food Advisor publishes independent reviews to help pet owners make better choices when shopping for dog food.

Where to Buy Dog Food at a Store Near You
or
Shop at an Online Retailer - Free Shipping

bitme

Recalls are not necessarily bad though, shows the company is quality conscious and wants to remedy the situation. On the other hand some that have had no recalls could be letting a lot of stuff slide by! (or be perfect).

Just a different way of looking at it :)

Doberluv

Well, so far, all I'm finding on TOTW are good reports. And I have studied off of the dog food project website some time ago when I had Lyric, so know a little bit about what to look for. So, for the money, I think TOTW is a very good product. And my dogs happen to do very well on it. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that there is never a recall. I don't know how anyone can ever feel 100% confident, no matter what the company is. We get recalls left and right with our own human food, so how much better is it going to be for dog food, regardless?

JacksonsMom

I'm not saying TOTW is a "bad" food by any means. When it comes to a nice ingredient list and a nice price, Diamond and TOTW win. With that said, I don't trust them. They are an actual Diamond brand food, meaning they aren't simply made at their facility, they are the ones producing the food at their monster clustered facility also producing lots of low-quality foods AND were a HUGE involvement in the big 2007 recall.

They've lied in the past, why would they not lie again? It's hard to forgive the melamine recall, IMO. From what I've heard, there were likely thousands of deaths, not counting the violently ill pets, but of course, it can't be confirmed because there wasn't a govt. database for such a thing. Also, I think Diamond was the only brand involved with aflaxtoxin contamination causing over 400 confirmed deaths, if not more unreported.

Obviously, Diamond was not the only company involved, but EVERY single one put $$$$ before health of our loved pets. I also don't like how they try to skirt around the issue and don't report things right away, etc. Apparently, Diamond killed a bunch of cats about 3 years ago too and NEVER even put it on the site.

I guess that's my whole thing, I don't want to support a business like Diamond. Recalls, I don't even mind so much. Hey, stuff happens, mistakes occur... but to me, it's about how it's handled and WHY there was a recall. How many animals got sick, how many died, was it because they were purposely putting in a chemical or ingredient that they KNEW was questionable, but continued to do so? Or was it really an accident? Like, back in 2007, I know they would purposely wait until a Fri. night to release some of the stuff, because they knew the news outlets wouldn't pick it up. That kind of stuff pisses me off.

You know, at least with Blue Buffalo, they seemed to handle their recall pretty good. They immediately released about it, they did a voluntary recall, etc, etc. Same with Champion... they had an issue with killing cats in Australia a while back. So they stopped shipping food to Australia.

NO company is going to be 100% perfect. But I definitely prefer a company who is not shipping ingredients out to co-manufacturers, producing in-house, etc. (which I know is rare). Champion doesn't make canned food because they don't have the proper facility to do it. So they are not going to go off to someone else and get them to make it. Lotus didn't like the other canneries, so they made their own. Etc. etc.

So, to me, it's just a matter of trust, finding out where the food is being made, or where it's coming from, and going with your instincts. Nobody can know anything for SURE unless you are in that factory making the food yourself. So I guess bottom line is, go with what your dog does well on, what you can afford, and what you are comfortable with, because obviously each person is different. I doubt dogs are dropping dead left and right because they're eating a Diamond food... but it's just something I don't feel comfortable with. :)

Members online

No members online now.