A "Not" Interview: Suggestions? Advice?

So I've been sending out my resume to a bunch of places and I heard back from this great Daycare/Training facility. The owner said he doesn't have any openings right now but asked me to come by and talk to him anyways.

I'm going tomorrow for my not interview and I'm so nervous. I fell into my pharmacy job and have been there 7 years so I've never had to DO this part. And on top of it it's not even a real interview, seems more like a "Let me see if I like you because we might have things in the future."

I know a lot of you on here work (or have worked) in similar places so I would love any and all advice on things to say, things to not say, things to do, things to not do etc.

Help?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Be confident, friendly, yourself. I was hired someplace that wasn't hiring because the guy just really liked me. I walked in to give him my resume and the next day he called and said "I know I told you we weren't hiring but can you come in for an interview?" And he offered me a job on the spot after we talked. Sometimes if you just make a big enough impression people find room for an additional employee. The fact that he reached out to you even though he's "not hiring" right now is a good sign, I think.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Attire: I'd go with being neat, clean, and practical/professional. It's not a formal interview so no need to dress to the nines -- with this sort of job you want to look like you have it together aren't afraid to pitch in and use your hands.

Attitude: Relaxed, focused. Confident yet flexible, a team player. You enjoy working with others but can take initiative too. Same attitude as when you train your dogs: light-hearted yet with clear purpose. You can work with people as well as their pets. You have customer service exp as well as dog training; you're used to group dog dynamics from the park as well as managing a household of familiar dogs of different personalities. You're a hard worker who is well organized (can't be disorganized in a pharmacy after all...!).

You got this :)

Red.Apricot

I got a job somewhere that wasn't hiring by expressing my desire to work there, giving solid reasons (it was a craft store; I'd shopped there my whole life, and it was close to home and school), being cheerful, smiling a lot, making eye contact, that sort of thing. I wore a clean, new looking, utilitarian sort of outfit that fit well, made sure my hair was neat, and I'd imagine this would be the same sort of gig.

Good luck!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
This happened to me with my current daycare/boarding job!

I inquired about working there, they said they didn't have any openings. I told them a little bit about my experiences and such, said if they had anything in the future, or knew of anyone looking to hire to please let me know. They emailed me a week later asking me to come in and talk.. Next day I had a trial day and now I work there three times a week.

Just be confident, talk about your training and experience with the dogs. I know more about dog behavior and stuff than my boss, so when he was giving me tips about dealing with dogs I was just kind of like :eek:. I got brownie points for knowing how to deal with shy dogs (thanks Rider and Lucy!), and getting a lot of the nervous ones out of their shell was one of the turning points in the "interview" I think. Just be prepared for several ranges of personalities and a lack of training on dogs and you should be good.

You will do great, obviously. Good luck!

I think be yourself and you'll do great, but it's an interview :) If they weren't looking to replace someone, they wouldn't waste their time. They might not have a listed opening today, but once they see how awesome you are, they'll be making room for another employee somehow. Seriously, if my staff was awesome, I keep resumes on hand. but don't bring anyone in to talk If one looks intriguing, like they'd make the team better than what we have, I'd see if I can find a way to fit them on if they present themselves well. I suspect this situation isn't much different.

Good Luck!!! Though I think your merits will stand for themselves

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I did a few "informational interviews" when I was job hunting. I dressed cleanly, but was ready to do hands on if needed (i.e. polo and khakis) and basically interviewed THEM about their company, culture, work environment, etc. and slipped in lots of bits about my experience and personality where I could. None of those got me a job there, but it did get the network going and ended up getting me an interview elsewhere because the person who I talked with knew someone who knew someone. :)

Ok, now I'm not sure if you guys made me more nervous or not knowing that this is more of a real interview rather than a not interview :p

I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much but they have agility, flyball, dock diving and trick classes. Almost all the places I've looked at in the area are "Balanced" with a side of "Why would you use treats when you have a prong collar?" and it would be so nice to work in a place I could take classes in.

My biggest worry is that while I have experience in a multiple dog household and lots of going to dog parks that I won't have the experience they want for the daycare/day training. What are working interviews like in those places?

Also, nice jeans should be fine right?

I've never been more grateful than I am right now that I've worked in retail for the last 7 years because before this I was super shy and now I find it really easy to talk to people. I think it's the only reason I'm not totally freaking out right now.

Saeleofu

(i.e. polo and khakis)
This is the GO TO interview attire for most places. I've been told you can never over-dress for an interview, but you can also never go wrong with khakis and a polo. If nice jeans are all you have, then go for it, but if you own a pair of khakis or can obtain a pair, then go with khakis. If the pants have belt loops, be sure to wear a belt. Tuck your polo into the khakis. Wear nice but comfortable shoes in case they have you do stuff (I'd be SO tempted to go for VFFs. Not sure it would go over well with every place, though...but people at the zoo LOVE them lol)

What are working interviews like in those places?
It can vary a bit place to place, but basically...you go in and you work and you see how it goes. At the clinic we don't let those doing working interviews handle animals for liability reasons, but we certainly have them clean cages and stuff. At the zoo my working interview was training (hands-on everything) because it was more of a "See if you actually like this work" than "See if we actually like you" sort of thing.

My biggest worry is that while I have experience in a multiple dog household and lots of going to dog parks that I won't have the experience they want for the daycare/day training
You have dog experience. You can read dog body language. You're probably better for the job than most people that already work in that sort of job. You'd be amazed how many people working with dogs can't read dog body language.

I've never been more grateful than I am right now that I've worked in retail for the last 7 years because before this I was super shy and now I find it really easy to talk to people. I think it's the only reason I'm not totally freaking out right now.
For all the crap I've had to deal with at the clinic, I feel the same way about that place. It definitely gave me more "people skills" over the last 7 years.

And finally, GOOD LUCK! You can do this :D

So, here's the thing. This job, with your dog experience, is not going to be rocket science for you. That is: That you are qualified is pretty much a given, so I wouldn't stress too much about being "good enough" - you're likely a step above most applicants and that will shine through.

So with that out of the way, a not-interview often becomes more about intangible things like your work ethic, whether you would fit in with the culture, whether they think you would get along with co-workers and clients, how responsible you are, etc.

I wouldn't worry about what you think you "should" do or say. Remember, you are not-interviewing them as much as they are not-interviewing you. Unless you are financially desperate, it's better to realize that a place isn't a good fit for you OR you aren't a good fit for them and pass than to take a job just to get a job. Just trying to act natural and be honest. Don't be afraid to put your best foot forward, but don't worry about inflating yourself.

Ok, so it got rescheduled to today so any last minute advice!

And Sass, thanks so much! That was an incredibly helpful post and really good for me to keep in mind.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
That is kind of how we have to dress on race days, becsuse we are on camera when you lead horses up (not everyone does but I think it looks better when you do), nice jeans, a nice shirt. But not so nice that you aren't afraid to pitch in either.

Good luck, though I am sure they will love you :)

And I'm back!

It went so well! Didn't feel like an interview at all, just talking to a likeminded dog person. He was super nice, easy going and funny.

He really doesn't have anything for me right now but seriously seemed like he was trying to figure out how to get me in there. Talked about salary, hours and showed me around.

He wants me to come in and meet the head trainer/owner and watch a couple training classes. He also said he would put my name out and recommend me to anyone that I wanted to apply to.

Though, I might have gotten a little over my head. I told him about my first disc dog comp with Didgie and Traveler and he goes "We've been wanting to get a beginner disc dog class going! Would you maybe be interested in teaching something like that if we got it figured out?"

Which, terrifying but I think I could pull off a beginner disc class full of drive building, relationship building and fun tricks.

I like their facility, I like their methods/philosophy and I would love to work there so hoping I get a chance!

But yes! Went really well and I feel like something will hopefully come out of it!

Members online

No members online now.