Age Differences?

Wht is the age difference between you and your SO?

• Total voters

noludoru

Bored Now.
Inspired by the musing thread. . . mostly because I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a gigantic age difference in their last relationship. :rofl1:

What is the age difference, if any, in your current relationship or most recent one? Has it been an issue or have people made it one? Which of you is the youngest?

I went out to VA to visit family this week and brought my ex to the big family get-together we had. . . my aunt hated him on sight. He's 15 years older than I am and I didn't introduce him as anything other than "hey everyone, this is C" and she assumed the worst.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
There is 7 years between Brian and I. I don't think it's been an issue for anyone. Although, 7 years isn't that much. Right now we are both in our 30's but that changes next year ;) :rofl1:

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Rick is just under two years old than I am. I just turned 18, he'll be 20 next month.

xpaeanx

We're a year apart.

I've had previous relationships with large age gaps. My first(and longest) relationship had a 9 yr age gap. My family really didn't like him at first b I was 17 and he was 26. They wanted to know what a "man" wanted with a "girl" and not a "woman." LOL. None of his friends approved of me either.

People got over it after a while, but I don't think it ever really became 100% ok with anyone. At younger ages the gap seems much bigger, and at older ages much smaller.

Personally, I don't care about age gaps... As long as both parties are getting what they want. 25 yr old with a 50yr old? As long as BOTH parties are happy with what is going on/getting what they expected who cares?

My SO now is only a year apart, but the main thing with this is that we're both at the same point in our relationship/want the same things at the same time. I wouldn't want to be ready to settle down and start a family and be in a relationship with a guy who was over the "wanting a family" stage in his life. That is were it becomes unfair and also(IMO) why relationships with gaps tend to not work out very often. However, I have seen some that both parties knew it was a short term deal and were just having fun for the time being. BOTH people involved were happy with it, so it was fine.

Dan is 5 years older than me which really is nothing BUT we met when I was 17 and started dating when I was 19. It felt huge to him at the time, but not me:)

milos_mommy

2 years, and I'm older. It did seem a little weird when I got pregnant at 22 and he wasn't even 21 when our daughter was born and tbh, I was definitely not dating him for his maturity level. If we were any older, I don't think it would even be a thought.

Biggest age gap, I briefly dated a guy 16 years older when I was 21. He was probably less mature than my current bf is. I'm sure some of my friends thought it was skeevy but no one said anything negative, if anything the comments were "he doesn't seem that much older" or the like.

My friend is "dating" a guy 20 years older, and it seems like a big problem, but more because he's had a traumatic divorce than anything...he could be 26 and have the same issues after a failed marriage.

FG167

What is the age difference, if any, in your current relationship or most recent one? Has it been an issue or have people made it one? Which of you is the youngest?
12 years for us. Never been an issue. I'm 28 and he is 40...I think since we are both out of school, both supporting ourselves, have hobbies, are healthy etc...people just don't even notice. Or...is that because he's Asian? :) Seriously, people usually guess me in early 20's and Jason in mid-to-late-20's.

k9krazee

My husband just turned 40 and I'm almost 25.

He's pretty much the coolest person on Earth and I didn't know how old he was before I fell madly in love ;) I thought he was 36 -- which is still a larger age gap than I would have wanted but, hey, we are perfect together. And he doesn't look or act 40-- most people assume we're the same age.

I debated in my head for a long time whether I wanted to get involved with someone much older (I'm worried about losing him & being widowed young - which was the biggest issue in my mind, surprisingly, it wasn't what others would think or say, or the differences in the times we were raised or any of that.) until one day someone said to me, "Ashley, if you love him and want to be with him, enjoy the time you have together NOW and don't intentionally miss out on these years with him because you're worried what people might say or what'll happen in the future"

So I moved in, he asked me to marry him & I did!

It helps that we both live the same way (we work together, neither of us have or want kids, we like to do the same things, enjoy each other's hobbies, have awesome family and friends who have always supported us, etc)

But if you would have told me like three years ago I'd marry a man closer in age to my parents than to me, I would have laughed in your face!!! :D

(And to be hypocritical---- my 19 yo cousin is dating a man who is 38 --- and it makes me uncomfortable. Especially because he has 4 kids and the oldest is 16.)

crazedACD

We're a year apart.

I've had previous relationships with large age gaps. My first(and longest) relationship had a 9 yr age gap. My family really didn't like him at first b I was 17 and he was 26. They wanted to know what a "man" wanted with a "girl" and not a "woman." LOL. None of his friends approved of me either.
Haha, I did this too. I think I turned 18 when I was with him, and he was 28ish. He had other issues and it didn't last, but overall I was happy with him. I never told my family, but my friends were...semi-ok with it.

I do tend to date guys that are older than me, because I'm really past the whole 20-something partying thing. I'm more focused on what I'm doing with my life, focused on work, and enjoying hobbies than partying and causing trouble. ;)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
For me more than age it depends on stage of life. My friend married a guy who is nearly 10 years older, but he was working on his PhD, so really, they graduated college at about the same time and were really pretty close as far as what point in life they were at.
Also, um, he's pretty immature.

Like... before I axed my OkCupid account I had a guy message me. He was 18. I just turned 29. I own a house. He's a college freshman.
We'd have to wait four years before he could even drink alcohol at our own wedding.
This might work okay for some people, but... no. WILDLY different stages in life. The last time I dated somebody who was 18, I was 16. I don't think I want to play that game again.

Of course that takes on a different meaning when you start talking about larger age gaps. A guy who's 60 and is at the same "stage of life" as a 30 year old? That's kinda not cool. If only because that's a good way to convince me life NEVER gets any better and I should just kill myself now.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My current SO and I have a 3 year gap, with me being the older one.

I had a relationship when I was 26 and he was 40.

I don't look anywhere near as old as I am, which is fine now but was really odd at times with the 40 year old.

Equinox

I think the "rule" is usually /2 + 7 (divide by 2 then add 7).

So technically, I "could" date guys between ages 17 and 26 and it wouldn't be too creepy. I haven't been in a real relationship for a long time, but the two most recent guys were between 22 - 25, I think? I'm 19 turning 20 in August. I wouldn't start thinking about an age gap between me and a guy unless he's in his 30s and up.

Luckily I don't think too many people would shoot me judge-y looks if I dated a much older guy because Asian. No one would really know my age :D

My parents are 11 years apart, and I've never known a better marriage.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Jeromy is 10 years older than me and our relationship is wonderful. I've dated guys closer to me in age and it just doesn't seem to work for me. Of course that could be because Jeromy is just so awesome ;) I'm 22, he's (almost) 32.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
K9 and FG I would never have guessed your SOs were 40! I suck at guessing ages in general though!

I am *exactly* 3 months older than DH.

Members online

No members online now.