What to do about a roaming dog?

oriondw

user not active
Is there anything I can do legally about a roaming dog in heat?

We had a dog follow us for 2 miles today trying to get to us, had to chase it off.

Female dog. After we chased it off, we proceeded to sniff everyplce she been at for like 5 minutes...

:mad:

Can animal control get that dog? The owner just lets her outside to roam.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
If there's a leash law in your city, yes. Just call animal control when she's out roaming. That's extremely irresponsible.

Debi

even out here in the country there are leash laws, per PA. geez, I'd like to find the people that let their dog roam while in heat....and smack them silly. yes, I realize the dog could have somehow managed to get out without the owner knowing, but then I'd say...HEY PEOPLE, SPAY YOUR DOG. the only thing with calling animal control is that the poor pup may end up in a shelter. *sigh*

loislane

Rocky's mom
We are having a huge problem with that right now. Our landlords (we rent the land next to them) have a basset hound that they do not take care of. She is a sweetie. They have a fenced in yard that they keep her in, but in the morning when they come out to go to work, they leave the gate wide open. She comes straight over to our house and waits on the porch for me to come out. She never gets any attention except from me. My dog Rocky loves her, but it is causing us a lot of problems. My dog is never outside without a leash. (We live close to the road) When I come outside with him, Dixie is waiting and she wants to run and play with us. I'm always afraid she will tangle us up, or run out into the road. What should we do? I can't believe people are so irresponsible with their animals.

oriondw

user not active
Debi said:
even out here in the country there are leash laws, per PA. geez, I'd like to find the people that let their dog roam while in heat....and smack them silly. yes, I realize the dog could have somehow managed to get out without the owner knowing, but then I'd say...HEY PEOPLE, SPAY YOUR DOG. the only thing with calling animal control is that the poor pup may end up in a shelter. *sigh*

They do this constantly.

We see this dog everyday.

oriondw said:
Is there anything I can do legally about a roaming dog in heat?

We had a dog follow us for 2 miles today trying to get to us, had to chase it off.

Female dog. After we chased it off, we proceeded to sniff everyplce she been at for like 5 minutes...

:mad:

Can animal control get that dog? The owner just lets her outside to roam.

I was in this same situation just about 6 years ago. I was walking King and a neighbor's dog, Goofy, a Husky/Lab mix followed us and kept wanting to play with King. It never even dawned on me she might be in heat. Finally, we went home, and a little bit later, I put King into the back yard, with Molly, and a few minutes later, Goofy and my dogs are running around, and I just figured "Oh well, let them have fun". I was going to take Goofy home after I got dinner over with. Goofy totally ignored the invisible fence the neighbor's had, and was loose most of the time. Goofy was friendly, to put it mildly, and to keep peace, I wasn't going to call animal control, I didn't need any wars with neighbors, I had already had one in the past, and didn't need the hassles.

I see King "humping" her, nothing new there, he used to hump just about every dog anyway, so I didn't do anything. All of a sudden, I see the dreaded "Step over" and there they are, joined up. King was 9 months old. After they uncoupled, I took Goofy home and told my neighbor that I would pay for the "day after" shot to prevent pregnancy. She told me not to worry about it, and I thought that was it.

About four months later, I'm going down the street with my mother in the truck, and I see EIGHT pups at the end of the driveway, seven are black and white, and one is black and tan. No doubt who the daddy is, they all look just like him and the seven black and white ones all have the same pattern that King and Molly have. No other dog, except for a neutered near duplicate of King looks like him around here. There's a good chance the King clone is a littermate, as they got him about the same time, and when they saw each other the first time, there was terrible screaming as soon as they sniffed each other. The only time King or Molly had screamed like that was when they have run into one of their littermates. With 11 of them out there, we have verified 5 and that dog would be one more.

Goofy sadly was hit by a car during one of her escapes. The pups all got good homes, and the neighbor's kept the black and tan pup, Dilbert, who appears to be a slightly larger chip off the old block (King). Very dominant, sleeps like a cat, and "talks" like him too.

I didn't know the neighbor was one of the most zealous anti-abortion people in this area until after I saw the pups. I didn't know it extended to dogs too!
They did neuter Dilbert, and I had King neutered too, at three to prevent cancer later on. I didn't do it sooner as I have seen too many great pups either blow up like a balloon afterwards, or they had a major change in their behavior that I didn't want King to undergo, so I waited. He hasn't mellowed a bit! :eek:

oriondw

user not active
SummerRiot said:
grab it and take it to the pound!

nothing more neglectful then letting your bitch in heat roam around the neighbourhood.
Yeah... I would but here comes the problem.

I cant really take another dog while walking my own. Thing is because he smells her Im not sure how he would react to her. Normal reaction to a roaming dog would be to destroy it, but he might want to just hump her :mad:

I know where they live, ill stop by after todays walk and tell them to get the dog on leash or it goes to pound.

Saje

Island dweller
Hey, it takes two to tango and with two unfixed dogs that's going to happen. You don't believe in altering so this is one of the things you'll have to deal with. Sorry.

Members online

No members online now.