Bully owners, info please! (especially APBT, SBT, AmStaffy)

It depends on where your mind is and where you live. I've seen ADBA/UKC dogs at UKC shows here multiple times. Many ADBA dogs are not 'true APBTs' do not look great and have horrific health. I've been to the UKC APBT Nationals twice, and I've seen that thread before. Thanks though :)

Teal

...ice road...
It depends on where your mind is and where you live. I've seen ADBA/UKC dogs at UKC shows here multiple times. Many ADBA dogs are not 'true APBTs' do not look great and have horrific health. I've been to the UKC APBT Nationals twice, and I've seen that thread before. Thanks though :)

You want to talk about dogs with horrific health and that don't look great, look at the blue bully mutts that people show in UKC ;)

There's no reason for you to start accusing people of not knowing what they are talking about. It's a commonly accepted fact - ADBA is for real APBTs (gamebred dogs). UKC is for blockier show dogs. AKC is for the showiest bullies of them all. Then there is, thankfully, the ABKC for the hippos. You can have dual and tri-registered dogs, but ultimately each sanction is known for a specific style of dog.

kady05

Yeah see, I'm in SE VA and have yet to see an ADBA type APBT show in any of the UKC shows I've been at. I'm very interested to see what "type" places at Nationals this year.

I think in any breed registry you're going to have dogs that don't look "great" (although that's a matter of opinion) and have poor health at times. At Sako's first AKC show there was a dog in the AST group who looked like a full blown American Bully. It was ridiculous.. how that dog had AKC papers, I have no idea.

2010 UKC Premier...
Gorgeous dog. I don't ever see them like that around here.

I have never seen a blue bully at a show here. I'm not saying there aren't gorgeous dogs in ADBA shows - I show dogs in both UKC and ADBA and know a lot about the dogs and what goes on behind the scenes - which sadly I can't even talk about on a public forum. I work with and ADBA judge. Katy, I actually didn't see the 'generally speaking' part of your post before I replied. PlottMom, that's what I'm talking about (oh and hey, at the shelter down in IL I'm working at again there's a hound that made me think of you, I'll take a pic today).

Teal

...ice road...
I have never seen a blue bully at a show here. I'm not saying there aren't gorgeous dogs in ADBA shows - I show dogs in both UKC and ADBA and know a lot about the dogs and what goes on behind the scenes - which sadly I can't even talk about on a public forum. I work with and ADBA judge. Katy, I actually didn't see the 'generally speaking' part of your post before I replied. PlottMom, that's what I'm talking about (oh and hey, at the shelter down in IL I'm working at again there's a hound that made me think of you, I'll take a pic today).

Before moving to California, I was very closely involved with ADBA and the inner workings of the shows.

The red dog posted from the 2010 UKC Premier is certainly not the norm for any UKC show I've seen or been to, even where ADBA shows were more prevalent than they are here. (and personally, I think that dog is ugly... but that's not the point LOL).

2010 UKC Premier...
that is HDK's Soliel, owned by Leslie Haller, who has been around for a long time. Soliel is a nice little dog, and accomplished plenty, Leslie originally got her for bite work, but her temperament is too soft, so she ended up with a excellent weight pull, and agility dog.

A majority of the ADBA dogs, are soft, and too handler sensitive for my taste. I have also seen plenty that are timid, shy, and fearful. But, a majority of ADBA will never admit those faults in their breeding program. The health issues in the ADBA run just as great, as the UKC dogs. Sadly, you won't see or know too many breeders that actually health test in the ADBA, there are a couple, but not many. It's a trend that I don't foresee happening.

Teal are you originally from the east coast? Have you ever met Angus in person?

I am no fan of the blue dogs, every now and again you see a dog that can show in both venues, however the UKC stud books are now closed, and have been for some time, essentially cutting out any gene pools from the ADBA pedigrees.

kady05

that is HDK's Soliel, owned by Leslie Haller, who has been around for a long time. Soliel is a nice little dog, and accomplished plenty, Leslie originally got her for bite work, but her temperament is too soft, so she ended up with a excellent weight pull, and agility dog.
I didn't realize that was Soliel! I love that dog, she is beautiful.

Teal

...ice road...
Wow, I didn't realize that was Soleil either! I am normally a huge fan of hers... maybe I've never seen her head from the side before? LOL

No, Angus is one I've never met in person. Should I ask why you asked?

you stated you knew him personally, I do know them personally. I have meant Angus and Dawn multiple times. Dawn is a super sweet woman, and funny as hell.

heartdogs

I think you need to consider more than just a love for the breed, and the other things you mentioned. You also need to strongly consider your current dog, and how the addition of a bully breed, or any breed or individual dog, might impact that dog. I'm not a fan of great size differences between dogs, despite the fact that I didn't take my own advice when I got my Yorkies years ago. The thing about bullies is that they often have a very physical play style, and can be quite obnoxious to some other dogs as a result;-) Most of them will get along great with other dogs who like that sort of thing (Labs come to mind) but may pose an inadvertant danger to toy dogs or dogs that get peeved at too much boisterous activity. That said, there certainly are Pits with quiet demeanors. If you are rescuing, you have no idea of the breeding - which can also be problematic in terms of the dog possibly being dog aggressive. Despite training and management, a certain percentage of Pits will be truer to their genetic origins than others, just as some Aussies and Border Collies are herdier than others. You may not always be able to tell, at first glance, how your rescue dog will turn out - some are just as they seem in the shelter or rescue, others develop differently once they spend some time in their new homes. That is also true of all other dogs! There is frequently a "honeymoon" period for newly acquired dogs. I like to get dogs that are spaced in age and gender, and not, for example, get two females close in age. Just my preference and what has worked out well for me. I haven't owned Pits, but have had many in my classes, and I can tell you that some of the best bred and well trained will still end up with some dog aggressive tendencies. So, you need to assess how well you could handle that if it happened in your home, because as we know, Pits that get relinquished to shelters as "owner surrenders" often don't make it out alive:-(( People who own this breed have, IMO, a great responsibility to learn the truth about the breed, be extra vigilant that they do nothing that will lead to their dog becoming a statistic, and work hard to have a dog that is representative of the best in the breed. Otherwise, more BSL and prejudice will follow, which is very sad.

monkeys23

No problem! :)

Top dog is: Marty's Lil Bit ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [206097] :: GAME-DOG'S LILBIT

Bottom dog is: Scratchin' Dog Angus ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [56247] :: COLLISION & BUTTER BREEDING

PitBullLove -like Kady said, if you want REAL APBTs, then you have to look at ADBA dogs. UKC dogs are watered down, bulky "show bred" dogs most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I think they can be gorgeous! But they aren't true blue APBTs :)

I thought that was Lil' Bit! ;)

I like Angus a lot... I knew that dog looked familiar!

A majority of the ADBA dogs, are soft, and too handler sensitive for my taste. I have also seen plenty that are timid, shy, and fearful. But, a majority of ADBA will never admit those faults in their breeding program. The health issues in the ADBA run just as great, as the UKC dogs. Sadly, you won't see or know too many breeders that actually health test in the ADBA, there are a couple, but not many. It's a trend that I don't foresee happening.

Teal are you originally from the east coast? Have you ever met Angus in person?

I am no fan of the blue dogs, every now and again you see a dog that can show in both venues, however the UKC stud books are now closed, and have been for some time, essentially cutting out any gene pools from the ADBA pedigrees.
She's a nice dog. I had forgotten she showed UKC.

I really like their dogs: Home - American Pit Bull Terriers

If I ever am in a position where I can say yes to owning an apbt, I'd like one with a temperament that will fit my training goals, i.e. we can do bitesports.

Red Chrome

1. How often are there smaller ones around 30-35 lbs? That's probably the size I'm looking for as my next dog.
It depends on the lines that you are looking at. I see a lot of smaller APBTs fairly regularly.

2. How biddable is your particular dog?
My APBT/Am Bully pup is freakin AMAZING! She is very easy to train and wants to please. She is what many would call a VERY biddable dog.

3. I keep hearing they can be DR/DA and it's quite common, is that an exaggeration or is DR that common? I kind of want a dog that would be alright going to the dog park, it's really not necessary but I hope I can find a dog like that.
If you want a dog that is a dog park dog then this breed is NOT for you. Not because your dog is DA persay, but more because if a fight is presented to them, they will a large percentage of the time finish it. My pup LOVES playing with other dogs and I do allow her to do that, with supervised playdates!

4. Reliability off leash?
My first APBT/AST was almost never on a lesh unless the law stated she had to be. She was extremely relaible. I think this is mroe of a training thing than a breed thing though.

5. Exercise requirements? The least I would do is about 2 hours a day, 1 hr walking, 1 hour dog park, fetch, games, w/e. That's what I have to do with Nia anyways.
Depends on the dog. Your current schedule would be alright for most APBT type dogs but it may not be for some.

6. General health? Are they a healthy breed? I realize there are a few different bully breeds but are they all pretty healthy?
This breed/s has went down in health in recent years, they rank higher than the GSD for HD now and have some genetic conditions that you want to watch for...especially Ataxia in the ASTs.

7. Are they prone to SA?
No more than any other dogs.

8. Are they more confrontational dogs or like to avoid conflict? I really love dogs that try to avoid conflict as much as possible, Paps are really like that.
Again, I'd say that depends on the individual dog. Some of this breed may like conflict, while others may not.

9. Would you ever leave your bully breed unsupervised with another dog at home, provided they are about the same size. I'm not going to leave Nia and a 35-40 lb dog unsupervised in the house of course.
No. Never. Ever. Ever.

10. Anything else you think I should know?
The APBT/ASTs and Am Bullies as a whole differ greatly in size and type depending on the bloodlines. I have what many would consider an Am Bully. She does not look AM. Bully at all, the only thing that makes her such is her papers. In fact we will be showing in Conformation in UKC. Visit dogs, kennels and talk to people, find the lines, styles of dogs that you like best and go from there. I never thought I'd own an AM. Bully but she's the most amazing dog ever, nice conformation, good drives and excellent temperament. Grow some thick skin cause not only do you have to deal with JQP being assholes, you have to deal with other Bully fanciers being assholes about the "type" you have, or the lines etc.!

Members online