My dogs hate the new Canidae and I'm not so happy with it either!

621mum

So.... help me pick something to switch to, please. It needs to be available online (I typically have used petfooddirect) as I have medical issues that often prevent me from being able to go get big bags, so ordering is about the only option. I've been feeding Canidae for 3 years, and Wellness before that (before the formula change of that brand) so I'm a little out of the loop.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
My dogs hate the new Canidae and I'm not so happy with it either!
Welcome to the club! :p

We're switching our dogs that were on Canidae to Dog Lover's Gold. It's ALOT like the old Canidae formula, the dog food store around here are calling it "Canidae's replacement". And made by the same company -as the old Canidae, not the new thats made at Diamond :rolleyes:

621mum

Welcome to the club! :p

We're switching our dogs that were on Canidae to Dog Lover's Gold. It's ALOT like the old Canidae formula, the dog food store around here are calling it "Canidae's replacement". And made by the same company -as the old Canidae, not the new thats made at Diamond :rolleyes:
Thanks. I'll look into that! I'm so glad that I didn't notice this change until after I got a 30lb bag (not)

621mum

So, some foods I'm considering are below, but my dogs have never been on grain-free food before - I'm wondering if that's an appropriate change. Anyway, would love thoughts on:

California Natural
EVO
Taste of the Wild
Eagle Holistic
Orijen

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have used both the first two and have been very pleased. EVO is a lot higher in protein so it may be a bit rich for some dogs. But it's by far the kibble I've been most pleased on. My dogs look fabulous on it.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
So, some foods I'm considering are below, but my dogs have never been on grain-free food before - I'm wondering if that's an appropriate change. Anyway, would love thoughts on:

California Natural
EVO
Taste of the Wild
Eagle Holistic
Orijen
The only ones I haven't tried so far are the CN and Eagle Holistic. My dogs did well with Origen, TOTW, and EVO. We tried TOTW for about 3 months, but we could only get it online, so we went back to Canidae (about 8 months ago). Right now my 7 month old pup eats EVO and I just recently found Origen and all the dogs love it!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Out of the list you're considering, I have tried EVO and Taste of the Wild. I rotate, though I prefer the EVO. Keep in mind that you may have to try a couple to find the right food for your dogs. :)

621mum

Thanks for the replies. I've thought about going grain free for a while, but I just don't quite know/understand whether it is truly better or not for dogs.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My dogs didn't do well on EVO. My stepson uses California Natural and really likes it.

It is a matter of choice whether or not your go grain free. Many dogs do well on grain free--especially those pets who have allergies. As always, gradual change is the key to changing any diet.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Just with how some people don't understand or are unsure of the benefits of feeding grain-free, I am unsure of why people find it necessary to actually feed grains. It is not a necessary aspect of dogs dietary needs.

I am a huge Natura supporter. I love all of their foods and my two dogs on kibble eat a combination of EVO and EVO RM. I am fortunate to have found a food that works so well for my crew so I've never had to try any other grain-free kibbles.

Back40

Anyone have a link to the old and new formulas? I want to determine if the canidae I have is the old or new formula. I bought 2 large bags in early August and still have quite a bit left.

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
It is a matter of choice whether or not your go grain free. Many dogs do well on grain free--especially those pets who have allergies. As always, gradual change is the key to changing any diet.
I've always found with a good kibble you can switch directly, no transition required.
The transition is required on some lesser grades but my dogs have always been able to make the jump directly on a high grade food.
And I'd know as one of them... well stomach isn't so much sensitive but the room gets aeromatic when something upsets her stomach.

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
Diamond isn't well regarded many times, but their "naturals" line has never been involved in any recall. Several of their products are similar to the old Canidae formula in being simple and very cost effective.

If your dogs do better on limited ingredient foods, California Natural is probably going to be your best bet.

If you were limiting exposure to grains, then the grain frees would be a great direction to try. Wellness Core is my favorite there - less of a "kitchen sink" food and terrific quality overall. Taste of the Wild is similar to Core, also, but with more ingredients - a great price on that one.

Members online