good training book

mjb

I'm looking for a good step-by-step training book. I've had Spanky in a couple of beginning Obedience Classes. He knows basic commands and does well with them without distractions. I haven't worked with him lately, but I would like to refresh him on the basic obedience and start working with him on distractions. Also, he needs to get better on the leash. It's not a real problem because he's less than 30 lbs., and I use a harness with him. I would like to get him walking better on-leash, though. He also needs to bne much more reliable on recall.

I want a book that might have a progam.....a step-by-step on what commands to teach and how to add new commands......

I'm always unsure when to start a new command and how frequently to train a new command and to drop one that he's got mastered.

There's a hospital that wants dog/human volunteers, and they say no kind of certification is necessary. They badly need some visitors, both human and dog. I would like to do this, but I would like to get my dog better focused on me first.

Any book recommendations?

opokki

The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller has a 6wk step-by-step training guide as well as info on leash training and bonus tricks.

Turid Rugaas has a booklet "My Dog Pulls. What do I do?", which is nice too.

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
One book that helps a lot with training and understanding your dog's mind is "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. I would recommend it to any dog owner.

BostonBanker

The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller has a 6wk step-by-step training guide as well as info on leash training and bonus tricks.
I agree that if you are looking for step-by-step, this is a fantastic book. I lend it out so much to friends with new dogs that I may just have to get a second copy to keep for myself! It also has techniques for teaching a lot of fun tricks - a great rainy-day project:)

Members online