Breed suggestions?

I am looking to add a new addition relatively soon... I do have a couple of breeds in mind, but nothing set in stone yet. I am curious to hear what you guys would recommend.

Here's what i'm looking for:

-Less than 50 lbs
-SAR and/or bite sport prospect
-Highly biddable
-Highly handler oriented
-Aloof towards strangers
-Dog tolerant
-Low maintenance coat
-High energy... a decent off switch would be nice but I won't hold my breath, lol. I can do without it. I am very active outdoors and future dog will need to keep up on long (and at times strenuous) backwoods hiking trips and whatever else the day may bring... swimming, camping, biking, kayaking, etc.

...that's all I can think of for now, any suggestions? :)

Koolie ;) Except for loving people. Though Didgie is rather indifferent to most people unless the actively try to get her attention.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
The right ES might be a good fit! You could find a female under 50 pounds quite easily. Biddabilty - ranges from dog to dog but overall a fairly biddable breed. Easy care "Teflon" coat and most are fairly indifferent towards strangers. I've never heard of an ES doing bite sports but know a few active SAR dogs.

Aleron

I guess it depends on how serious your interest in bite sports is. If you're pretty serious about it, it can be kind of limiting to find many breeds to pick from under 50lbs. Even my smaller Belgian boys are over 50lbs, although not by much.

crazedACD

In case you need more convincing, it seems to me a lot of ACDs are doing bitesport overseas. I haven't seen too many US based, but they are definitely used in Finland/Denmark/Germany for that.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
How set are you on your size requirements? If you can be flexible up to like, 55 lb, a Mal bitch would work and it would be pretty easy to find one that hits all your marks.

Members online

No members online now.