Will the real Ingrid Newkirk please stand up...

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
One of the articles I read, forget which of the three, said that one of the two employees was either dismissed or disciplined. I can't remember which.

I DO agree that they shouldn't take in animals if they can foresee that they wouldn't have the capacity to look after them by a LONG shot. It's no different than someone who takes in 50 stray cats and then can't look after them. They're better off without being "rescued".

I don't think they have a "warehouse" for the bodies. What I read was that they purchased a walk-in cooler to hold the bodies before they were cremated. We have the same thing at work for the same purpose. That's pretty standard when you're dealing with animals. I just found it strange that the purchase of a cooler was so scandalous (at least in the article I read).
I think the cooler was scandalous because it showed they expected to euthanize a lot of animals, and they did. They, who claim to fight for animals. Its the hyopcricy, really, more than anything else. These are the same people who show piles of cattle (killed because they were diseased) side by side with the humans slaughtered in the holocaust and claim and equivalence . . . and then they buy a cooler to dispose of the 87%+ of animals they adopt from shelters that they kill. Pretty, um, sick, frankly.

Edit: And believe me, I'm not flaming you. You'll know when I'm flaming you from the big mushroom cloud.

Domestika

[...] and then they buy a cooler to dispose of the 87%+ of animals they adopt from shelters that they kill. Pretty, um, sick, frankly.
I still haven't actually seen anything that talks about them adopting animals from shelters under the guise of rehoming them and then euthanizing them instead. What I read today, at least, said that they took animals from shelters that were already slated to be euthanized and did it in a more humane way that the shelter was able to offer. I read only one instance where someone was told they would try to rehome an animal.

Again, I'd be happy to read anything to the contrary.

I'm not sure how hypocritical it is of them to euthanize animals, really. I know that they claim to be working to protect and defend animals, which one could assume also means not killing them... But I'm not sure that they claim they would never take an animal's life when, in their eyes, it was deamed necessary (and even kind).

Pops2

one of the charges against them in the NC case was fraud because they had specifically told the shelters & veterinary offices they were going to find homes for the puppies and kittens they killed.

Lilavati
Thanks for expressing my position MUCH better.

Last edited:

Romy

Taxiderpy
I still haven't actually seen anything that talks about them adopting animals from shelters under the guise of rehoming them and then euthanizing them instead. What I read today, at least, said that they took animals from shelters that were already slated to be euthanized and did it in a more humane way that the shelter was able to offer. I read only one instance where someone was told they would try to rehome an animal.

Again, I'd be happy to read anything to the contrary.

I'm not sure how hypocritical it is of them to euthanize animals, really. I know that they claim to be working to protect and defend animals, which one could assume also means not killing them... But I'm not sure that they claim they would never take an animal's life when, in their eyes, it was deamed necessary (and even kind).
Are you not familiar with this case?
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/Trial_Day1.cfm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3827/is_200601/ai_n17180337/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

Here is the the 2nd page from the article on the second link. It's short and to the point.

On June 15, 2005, two PETA employees were arrested in North Carolina on charges of animal cruelty. Police caught the pair, Andrew Cook, 24, and Adria Hinkle, 27, dumping the corpses of eighteen dogs, including seven puppies, a cat and two kittens, and several other animals into a dumpster behind a Piggly Wiggly supermarket in Ahoskie County, N.C.

Police said that the animals were picked up-alive-from animal shelters in Bertie and Northampton counties. A veterinarian, Dr. James Brown of Northampton County, reported that he also had turned over several animals to PETA. "When they started taking them, they said they would try to find homes for them," he told the VirginianPilot. "Nobody ever checked on them."

Dr. Patrick Proctor of the Ahoskie Animal Hospital (AAH) said Cook and Hinkle promised to give the animals to a good home. He said he occasionally would call PETA to find homes for animals. He guessed that over the previous two years he turned over 50 animals for adoption to PETA. "They came to the office last Wednesday and picked up the cat and two kittens," he told the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald shortly after their arrest. "So imagine my surprise when I learned they allegedly dumped dead animals in a trash bin later that same day." Barry Anderson, an animal control officer from neighboring Bertie County, confirmed to Dr. Proctor that a cat and two kittens were found among 13 dead animals in the van. "This cat and two kittens I gave them last week were in good health and were very adoptable, especially the kittens," said Dr. Proctor, who was called in by police to examine one of the dead animals. "The animal that I found was a very healthy six-month puppy that had been killed that day," he told TV station WNCT Channel 9. "PETA will never pick up another animal from my practice," he said.

Police staked out the dumpster after animal carcasses were found dumped during the previous three weeks. David Harrell, the property manager at the Piggly Wiggly, said he and his co-workers frequently found dead animals at company properties: "Most of the time we would come here on Thursday morning and we'd find anywhere between 19 and 25 dogs per trip." Harrell said the carcasses usually were in black commercialstrength garbage bags.

Cook and Hinkle were initially charged with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty and eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposing of dead animals. A Hertford County grand jury subsequently indicted the pair on 22 felony counts each of cruelty to animals as well as three counts each of obtaining property by false pretenses. Cook and Hinkle are also charged with eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposal of dead animals and one count of trespassing. They are scheduled to appear in court on January 9. If the two plead not guilty, they cannot be put on the Superior Court trial docket for 30 days. The Richmond Times-Dispatch (Va.) reports that PETA is paying their legal expenses.

Neither Cook nor Hinkle is a veterinarian licensed to put an animal to sleep. Yet police also found in their van a tackle box filled with syringes and vials of Ketamine and Pentobarbitol. According to Ahoskie police detective Jeremy Roberts, the lead investigator in the case, these are Schedule III drugs, regulated by the Drug Enforcement Agency and only available for purchase by a licensed veterinarian. Dr. Cheryl Powell of the Powellsville Pet Clinic told the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald that Ketamine is mainly used to sedate animals, while Pentobarbitol is used to euthanize them.
ETA: Sorry, I am tired and didn't see that this case was so well covered. At any rate, the quotes from the vets show that yes, they did take adoptable animals on false pretenses, with the intent to kill them. One page three of the 2nd article, you can read Newkirk's comments defending the character of both. Yes, one was dismissed. BUT, Peta still payed for both their legal defenses which is IMHO, condoning their actions.

Members online

No members online now.