Top 10 Healthiest Dog Breeds

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Ummm... where did this site get their info? Rottweilers are the #2 most healthy breed? I love Rotties, but almost every one I've ever known died before 10. Labs? Same thing -- most I know died of cancer before 10. German Shepherds? These aren't dogs I think of when I'm thinking of "healthiest".

http://www.infobarrel.com/Top_10_Healthiest_Dog_Breeds
Yeah, I definitely don't agree with that list. I'd put Chihuahuas up there, since they're one of the longest lived and healthiest breeds.

Lyzelle

Sibes are pretty healthy, rarely have any known surface issues. But this...

This dog is one of the few to be almost free of incidence of hip dysplasia (less than 2% incidence rate
Is completely false. VERY FEW Sibe breeders actually do OFAs(I'd guess maybe 1/10..if that), therefore that is NOT an accurate number at all. Ditto with Malamutes, and they've been known to have hip issues. I wouldn't nominate Malamutes.

And obviously mutts aren't all that healthy either. Can go both ways.

This is a stupid list.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Definitely. Also a lot of the small terriers live really healthy long lives.
I agree! The two on that list that I really, really don't understand are labs and rotties. I've never met a lab or rottie that have made it into their teen years.

Did you see the bibliography? Such terrible sources.

Bibliography
1.Vic Dillinger My Brain. Chicago, IL: Evolution & The Cosmos, 1963.
2."Dog health." en.wikipedia.org. 17/12/2011 <Web >
3."Cushing's disease." en.wikipedia.org. 17/12/2011 <Web >
4."List of dog diseases." en.wikipedia.org. 17/12/2011 <Web >
Read more: http://www.infobarrel.com/Top_10_Healthiest_Dog_Breeds#ixzz1zqqptUwj
Just because a breed isn't prone to hip dysplasia or liver disease doesn't mean that they're a "healthy" breed. That article is one huge contradiction.

Doberluv

Actually, this list of Rottweiler health problems is relatively short compared to some other breeds. But yeah...they're not a very healthy a breed. I didn't look up the others but how they can say a Heinz 57 is a healthy "breed," I don't know. That would depend on what the dog is, what's in his heritage. Good heavens! And how is taking good care of your dog going to prevent some of these health problems? (bolded part at the bottom)This is another dumb person. Yeah, feeding right and exercise is going to prevent Von Willebrand's?

Aortic Stenosis

Among the most common Rottweiler health problems, this has been claimed to be the most frequent congenital cardiac disorder in the Rottweiler breed. This is characterized by the narrowing of the aortic valve which causes obstruction of blood circulation.

Cataracts

This is usually hereditary in dogs but it can also be caused by a few eye injuries. If your Rottweiler is in good health condition, cataracts can be removed through surgery.

Diabetes Mellitus

This is a condition wherein your Rottweiler’s insulin production is insufficient. Symptoms for Diabetes Mellitus include weight loss and excessive urination and water consumption. Cataracts, increase in appetite, intolerance for exercise and recurrent infections are among the other clinical signs for this disease.

Hip and Elbow Dysplasia

Hip and Elbow Dysplasia is a common Rottweiler health problem. This is characterized by abnormal or improper skeletal developments in the joints of your Rottweiler. If not attended to immediately, this may cause excessive pain and immobility. This may be determined through an X-ray. If you bought your Rottweiler from a good breeder, you can be ensured that your dog do not have this hereditary defect.

Panosteitis

This Rottweiler health problem is usually seen between the ages of 5-12 months. It is also known as the “long bone disease†because it is caused by too much bone production in the long bones. If your Rottweiler’s diet is high in protein, he grows too fast; hence, he is more prone to Panosteitis. This Rottweiler health problem usually come and goes without warning. Fortunately, puppies outgrow this condition by the age of 18 months.

Progressive Retinal Atrophy

This is a Rottweiler eye problem which is characterized by a gradual deterioration of the retina. If your Rottweiler experiences PRA, he will suffer from night blindness. Its progression will also affect your dog’s daytime vision. This condition may lead to a cataract. Your Rottweiler may be able to adapt if his environment remains constant.

Von Willbrand’s Disease

This disease is similar to hemophilia in humans. Once affected, your dog may suffer from excessive bleeding when injured. Symptoms for this disease may include nose bleeding, bleeding in the gums, stomach or intestine. Blood may also be visible in your dog’s urine.

In order to avoid Rottweiler health problems, you have to take good care of your dog through providing him with proper diet and regular exercise. This will help your Rottweiler to stay healthy.
http://fixrottweilerproblems.com/2010/11/09/rottweiler-health-problems/

Assamiea

I think this list goes to show why people shouldn't put all of their faith into Wikipedia!

K

Kaydee

Seems to me they just created a random list. I believe it's often the bigger the dog the shorter the lifespan on average. Then healthy is subjective. Pookins can leap tall park benches in a single bound but her skin ailments are making her nuts. What's healthy really ya know???

I agree, what a bizarre list. I want to facepalm at some of the comments, too - the author of it states that he is a "firm believer in objective sceince". Um. Ok.

momto8

small terriers and alot of sighthounds are very healthy, but definitely rottie shouldn't be 2nd

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Yeah, without defining "health", as Kaydee pointed out, and without defining "breed" (because apparently Heinz 57 is a breed) this list is just doomed from the start, LOL.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Yeah, not a fan of that article.... Finnish Spitz are SUPER healthy, but you would never even see them on a list like that because they aren't common - same with other rare breeds.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
The part in the German Shepherd that says

"A major dog health problem relating to spinal curvature has been noted more often in recent years, especially in the Americanized version of the breed (European German Shepherds, not subject to such draconian inbreeding, do not suffer this anomaly as often)."

Makes NO sense! The American line dogs don't even have the severely curving backbone like the West German dogs do so why on earth would they suffer from something they don't even have!

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Border Collies should be higher, they are very healthy. They also are setting people up for failure by telling them that mix breed dogs are definitely going to live 10-16 years, and don't have any health problems. Its all a tossup if you don't know the genetic background of a dog. It could live 16 years, it could live 6.

Also, poodles are the unhealthiest breed out there? Are they on crack?

And umm this quote from the Corgi section
"Most of the health problems these animals develop are related to aging: Von Willebrand's disease (which affects blood platelets), hip dysplasia, and myelopathy."

*headdesk* The worst part is people read this and automatically believe it. Cause no "study" on the internet can be wrong :wall:

Members online

No members online now.