Food Question?

B

Backward_Cinderella

Hey all, Bobsie is the oldest dog we have, punching in at ten years old (not really all that old, actually, for her size). We feed all our other dogs adult formula food, but Aaron and I were wondering... Should we have her on Senior formula? She acts just like the others, but I worry that she is maybe not getting enough nutrition. She was on puppy formula to gain weight, because when we got her she was seriously under weight, (she weighed seven and should weigh 10 - 15 according to the vet), so we put her on puppy chow for a while. She has gained all the weight she needs now, and I am not sure what I should be feeding them. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!

(PS, they're on Solid Gold's Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb), but I've been thinking about switching to Canidae, as its easier for me to get because there is a store close to me that sells it.)

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Hey BC--I am trying to figure out food issues for Traveler--who is 12, and is now on Canidae ALS. She has had some digestive issues--and vet now thinks it may be due to the fat content in her food. Baxter (who is 3) does fine with the Canidae, and so did Traveler until last winter. I am on the hunt for an appropriate food, with a lower fat content. But if Bobsie seems to be tolerating adult food, and she is active--I would think she should be able to eat an all life stage food.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
with my senior dogs, i just make sure the food has glucosamine and chondroitin in it for their joints. All five of my dogs (2 years old up to 17 years old) all eat the same food.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I asked my vet about senior food for Ares (he's 8, and I figured with his food sensitivities it could be a while before I even found a senior food he can eat)...

She said nope, the only real benefit of senior food is in that it's lower calorie for all the obese old dogs that can't get any exercise. If the dog is having digestive problems or not getting enough of the nutrition, you might look into some supplements.

Members online

No members online now.