"Commercial Breeding" operation in Virginia busted--nearly 1,000 dogs

noludoru

Bored Now.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/766143.html

Samiha Khanna, Staff Writer
DURHAM - The chubby male pug wore a perpetual look of concern, with his big round eyes and downturned lips. He turned up his nose, literally, at the morsel of dog food before him, which concealed an anti-flea pill. But when Diana Starks, a staff member at the Durham County Animal Shelter, started scratching his chin, the pug let out several contented snorts.

There were 30 new dogs and puppies at the Durham shelter that needed pills, shots and good baths Thursday. They came from Hillsville, Va., where a commercial breeder under investigation for possible humane violations voluntarily surrendered about 980 dogs on Thursday.

An additional 25 to 40 dogs were expected to land at other Triangle shelters and adoption agencies late Thursday. Some could be available for adoption as early as next week.

The animals, ranging from squirming, helpless pups to well-seasoned mothers, belonged to Junior Horton, a breeder from western Virginia who had 1,080 dogs on his property, said John Snyder of the Humane Society of the United States. The national animal advocacy group termed Horton's operation a "puppy mill," one of several the society has been investigating over five months, Snyder said.

This week, when Horton agreed to give up most of his dogs, the society put the call out to animal shelters and rescue groups up and down the East Coast.

Jennifer Brehler, manager of Durham's shelter, left before sunrise Thursday to make the 2 1/2-hour drive. She and three others from the shelter returned about 4 p.m. with 15 adult dogs and 15 puppies. The Shih Tzus, Lhasa apsos, beagles and terriers were taken into an exam room and looked over, vaccinated and organized.

Some, like the first beagle out of its carrier, were shy, tucking their tails between their shaking legs. A male Lhasa apso was visibly happy, thumping his stringy, wagging white tail against the exam table.

"Just the fact that we were able to help spread out all of these animals rather than burden the [Virginia] shelters was important," Brehler said.

Similar efforts were under way late Thursday at the Orange County Animal Shelter and the humane societies of Charlotte and Moore County.

"It's just unfathomable to think about 1,000 animals," said Bob Marotto, animal services director for Orange County. "People need to coordinate and support each other in these situations for the welfare of the animals."

The Moore Humane Society brought back 21 dogs, of which at least five will be given to Sound Pet Animal Rescue and Referral in Cary, said Corky O'Connor, a board member for the Moore group.

No charges have been filed against Horton. This week, Horton called the effort to remove dogs from his farm "dognapping."

He told The Associated Press, "They just come in on me out of the blue."

"I've got the best kennel in southwest Virginia," he said.

The investigation into possible animal cruelty continues, said Carroll County Commonwealth Attorney Greg Goad.

"Our priority is to rescue the dogs at this point," he said.

The investigation was prompted by complaints to the national Humane Society, based in Washington, D.C., Snyder said.

"Our staff started receiving numerous phone calls," Snyder said. "People bought animals that suddenly got sick and died."

Investigators followed up on Web site and newspaper ads and put together a list of Virginia residents suspected of being unlicensed breeders. Horton was one of the breeders found to be selling animals to pet stores and through advertisements, and was well in excess of the U.S. Department of Agriculture license that allowed him to have up to 500 animals, Snyder said.

Representatives of both the Durham and Orange shelters were optimistic about the adoption possibilities for the dogs.

"We would like to see there be as many happy tails and happy endings as possible," Marotto said.

[email protected] or (919) 956-2468
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20071109/twl-puppy-emergency-1be00ca.html

I have no words.....

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I saw this on the news. FOHA will probably take a dog or two if we need to, but with these little dogs they often get adopted/sent to little dog rescue fairly easily.

noludoru

Bored Now.
They're being sent everywhere from New York down to FL.... The articles I saw seemed to imply that VA shelters weren't being given many, but that cannot possibly be the case.

What really bit my butt is that he's being allowed to KEEP some of the dogs... all the articles had different numbers of dogs he was keeping, though, so I don't know how many. If you have to TAKE AWAY dogs due to mistreatment and you've been being investigated for FIVE months, AND you were breaking the law by having more than your permit allows... WTF why should you be allowed to own ANY dogs in the future, regardless of whether you treat them well or not? Not that this guy did in the first place, as many of the pups he sold died shortly after they got into their new homes.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
They probably bargained with him to get some of the dogs away. "We'll let you keep X if you'll give us Y". I've seen them do that on the animal cops shows.

Members online

No members online now.