Arting

Romy

Taxiderpy
So I've been working on a new oil piece, but doing a lot of sketches during the drying times between glazes. My goal is to build a butt kicking concept art portfolio for the gaming industry, since there's a lot of game companies in Seattle who are potential employers. Which means I need a lot more work on figures, and landscapes/ environments, and everything else. Especially rendering stuff digitally.

Anyway, here's a sketch dump. If anyone has criticisms, please let me know! I need to get better! arrr.

First off are the gesture drawings. I've been pausing movies at random spots and spending a few minutes per drawing. The self imposed limit is 5 minutes. I should probably cut it down to 2 for a few nights.

Referenced from The Magnificent Seven

Referenced from The Two Towers

Some old cossack/Kazakh guy

Tired riot cop. Please ignore that really weird sketchy guy in the left corner, lol. I'm trying to do studies of real life body armor so I can make up realistic sci fi stuff.

hahaha, some lametastic designs for a post-apocalyptic cossack. This needs sooo much work, and there's so much wrong in the bottom sketch but it's something I may play with some more, to practice doing mock up character sheets and digital rendering. It needs to be redrawn with references. I am sooo ashamed of that rifle right now.

And the digital stuff. Creepy creature. Before and after coloring attempts.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Then a couple of digital landscape studies. They're supposed to be speedpaints. I used photo references and set a 45 minute timer. They're pretty much done with only the round brush in photoshop, because I don't know how to use anything else. lol

Xandra

Ditto the above. Really really good. Your people look so anatomically correct, I wish I could sketch out people like that. And I love your bird creature.

My computer won't let me see all of them, but I really like the idea of timed drawings! I always get tangled in the details.

You are very, very, talented! I can't wait to see more!

RD

Are you dead yet?
LOVE!!!! I am obsessed with your bird creature and the little 'family' in gas masks. Great stuff!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Thanks everyone! I really want to work on more creatures but it doesn't do a whole lot for improving technical skills. Got another speedpaint done. Next week I'm going to try and really polish some of the landscapes.

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
That's really nice work. I would advise you to check what requirements are needed by some of those employers. In Austin, the graphic design industry is huge. And even if you have an awesome portfolio, they won't look at it unless you have an associate's degree or higher. It's a way of weeding out the herd. Hence why I'm a student and not a designer yet. Not that my portfolio is that awesome anyway.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
It's competition time. That is the way to get the recognition that holds weight. You should start entering.

Members online

No members online now.