What's the deal?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, so I'm in the petstore today doing my dog food shopping and I notice that all these brands of dog food are advertising NEW LAMB MEAL AND RICE FORMULA. What is so good about Lamb (or Lamb meal)? It seems like the "in thing" now for companies to switch over to lamb, is there a reason for it.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
just another fad.

wayyy back when most pet food was still made mainly from beef and horse meat, and wheat as a source of grain, lamb and rice diets came about for dogs with food allergies, kind of like fish & potato or duck & potato diets these days.

of course allergy symptoms disappear if you remove the triggers, and the dogs in question did well on the new lamb & rice foods, and the products became very popular.

as with everything that becomes popular, it's carried into the mainstream. people started feeding these foods not as an alternative for allergic dogs, but just because they thought it's overall a better product.

eventually the pet food industry sees a chance to push yet another product on the market that people will be likely to buy, starting with one company and others following suit.

for a normal dog without any allergies or sensitivities, it's best to offer a food that contains several different sources of protein, in order to provide all necessary amino acids for good health.

poeluvr

Mordy said:
just another fad.

wayyy back when most pet food was still made mainly from beef and horse meat, and wheat as a source of grain, lamb and rice diets came about for dogs with food allergies, kind of like fish & potato or duck & potato diets these days.

of course allergy symptoms disappear if you remove the triggers, and the dogs in question did well on the new lamb & rice foods, and the products became very popular.

as with everything that becomes popular, it's carried into the mainstream. people started feeding these foods not as an alternative for allergic dogs, but just because they thought it's overall a better product.

eventually the pet food industry sees a chance to push yet another product on the market that people will be likely to buy, starting with one company and others following suit.

for a normal dog without any allergies or sensitivities, it's best to offer a food that contains several different sources of protein, in order to provide all necessary amino acids for good health.
omgosh mordy sorry out of topic but ur dog reminds me of poe so bad.....same eyes
i think theyre just making more variety, like for deoderant now theres apricot smalling, peach, rasberry and banana, just to make more $ i think

Mordy

Quigleyfied
lea, they do have a lot in common, don't they? :) except for the ears and color. i'll have to post a baby pic of quigley some time.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
LEA your puppy is SO cute! So is it bad to feed them the Lamb and rice? My grandparents feed there dog now a Lamb and rice formula dog food and he has no allergies that they are aware of.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
no, generally there is no problem feeding a lamb and rice food. a long time ago lack of taurine in lamb based foods was an issue, but as far as i know, pretty much all of them are now taurine fortified.

it won't hurt, but it would be healthier to rotate between some other foods over a period of time.

Members online

No members online now.