I have my puppy in socialization class BUT

heartdogs

I would pull him from that class and try to find another one. It's one thing to be in a class with larger dogs, but it's another to be in a class where the instructor does nothing to keep the smaller breed dogs safe. That's what ex pens and partitions are for. In the meantime, grab a copy of "Little Dogs: Training Your Pint Sized Companion". And, try to find some friends who also have small dogs or small pups that you can socialize your dog with. Don't give up - try these sites to find a competent trainer near you that can help:
www.trulydogfriendly.com
www.peaceablepaws.com
www.clickertraining.com
www.apdt.com

I may have to LIE and put him in welpe school and tell them he is 11 weeks or something like this. He is so small he can pass for anything
This is what I was thinking as well, especially since this is your 5th one, but
rather than going and paying for a 6th one, I would DEMAND that your dog
be placed in the smaller group. He is so small there would be no harm
to the other dogs, but it would be safer for him.
If the trainer would not listen I would go over their head. You have a legitimate concern.

What about any dog parks? many of them have a sectioned off space for small dogs.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What about any dog parks? many of them have a sectioned off space for small dogs.
I know the sectioned off space at dog parks around here are absolutely awful. Most people have large dogs (labs mainly). The small dog 'section' is an area smaller than the size of my bedroom that is basically a mudhole. It always irks me.

L

LB2007

I would pull him from that class and try to find another one. It's one thing to be in a class with larger dogs, but it's another to be in a class where the instructor does nothing to keep the smaller breed dogs safe. That's what ex pens and partitions are for. In the meantime, grab a copy of "Little Dogs: Training Your Pint Sized Companion". And, try to find some friends who also have small dogs or small pups that you can socialize your dog with. Don't give up - try these sites to find a competent trainer near you that can help:
www.trulydogfriendly.com
www.peaceablepaws.com
www.clickertraining.com
www.apdt.com
Honey, thanks but I live in Germany. There are no more choices as I have tried all 5 schools in the areas surrounding my city. I will have to now leave the state to find a school. They are ALL the same, useless. I will read the training your pint size and see what I might be able to do. And again, I have placed an ad in the local paper.

L

LB2007

This is what I was thinking as well, especially since this is your 5th one, but
rather than going and paying for a 6th one, I would DEMAND that your dog
be placed in the smaller group. He is so small there would be no harm
to the other dogs, but it would be safer for him.
If the trainer would not listen I would go over their head. You have a legitimate concern.

I thinik I will do this, I will demand he goes to puppy class and work his way up with that group until they are older. Also there are no dog parks that is an American thing. In Europe the whole country is a dog park so to speak.

L

LB2007

I know the sectioned off space at dog parks around here are absolutely awful. Most people have large dogs (labs mainly). The small dog 'section' is an area smaller than the size of my bedroom that is basically a mudhole. It always irks me.
I will not ever take him to a dog park if we had one as people do not take care that their animals are hurting others in rough play. If mine was a bigger dog I wont be like this, but he is too small. Vet even said today that to be careful around other dogs as his BONES are still not fully developed:( So imagine a 40 lbs lab baby puppy falling on him:mad: ,

I am giong to call the dog school now

L

LB2007

Well I just got off the phone with three of the dog schools. They all assured me that they do not and WILL not separate small minature dogs from bigger puppy dogs. They said that the dogs NEED to learn to defend themselves in a pack. I think that is bull. Because how the hell can a 3lbs dog defend himself from 3 dogs at 30 plus pounds each, 30 being the VERY smallest those horse puppies go as high as 100lbs:mad: . they said also, it is NOT their place to intervene and that he has to learn self defense WTF:mad:

I told them the other big puppies bully him and terrorize him into submission and that he is terrified now and will bark at all dogs. I understand if they fear at the school and something bad happens, they will fear all dogs. How the heck cant these fools understand this?

Doberluv

These people sound like morons and do not understand canine behavior. Pull your dog out of that class asap. Forget classes if these people are all of that mindset and train your dog yourself. You can do it. Find a friend or two if you can to get together with. If you can't socialize your pup to other dogs, then you most likely will need to avoid other dogs in the future because you'll have a dog who is naive about dog language and greeting. As it is, with these scary experiences, your dog is likely to have problems where other dogs are concerned. I'd concentrate on socializing with humans and various environments, objects, kids, moving bicycles, noisy traffic.....all gradually and associated with food and fun.

A tiny dog can not defend himself against bigger dogs. That's absurd. Being overwhelmed and frightened will make him fearful and aggressive with other dogs.

Run, don't walk from this class and others that are like that. Train your dog yourself and just be pals.

Members online

No members online now.