Dog licking paw- pinkish and can't walk on that leg!!

malihas

my sweetheart schnauzer (3 years old) started licking his paw like crazy today and when i tried to look for cuts or anything, i only noticed a pinkish sore looking fleshy part on the bottom of his paw (probably from all the licking and biting he's been doing)... now he's walking on 3 legs and the irritated one is in the air..so he's hopping
i've tried to bandage it but he takes it off... he dosen't seem in pain though
any ideas?? i've had him laying next to me most of the day

malihas

OH.. he has not had his nails cut recently... however, the irritations seems to be more on his paw rather than any of his nails... i don't know :-(

Saje

Island dweller
I'd take him to the vet. It doesn't sound like an emergency but if he can't walk on it that's not good. He probably is in pain or at least uncomfortable. Or you could call your vet and see what he thinks.

bubbatd

Something could have worked into his paw. You might want to soak in epsom salts ..if nothing come to a head ...get to the vet.

the four dogs that i have at the moment, (2 live with me and the older ones live with my mom) lick their feet ALL the time. they have never done it bad enough to have a sore, so i guess i would just take it to the vet and see if there is something in there. could be a splinter or something, or even a hair splinter. i didnt know those existed till i started working a grooming salon. little pieces of hair can get stuck in the skin! i think that is so wierd. i think my dogs do it like a narotic thing, even the schnauzer that lives downstairs that belongs to a friend of mine licks constantly. she is always having to cut out the matts because she just sits and licks/chews on her legs all the time. im not really sure why they do it, maybe they are bored or something.

malihas

thanks guys... i just cleaned it alittle with some dead sea salt (very lightly).. he seems very sensitive to it.. it kinda appears like there is a bunch of hair poking from the middle of his paws!! and when i touched that stalk of hair he kept moving, so hey, it could be some wierd hair thing
for tonight i've bandaged it up so he dosen't keep licking it... and i'll take him tomorrow
thanks

Members online

No members online now.