How often do you clip your dogs nails?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Riot gets his done almost every two weeks or so.. his grow fairly fast.

His nails are black as well which makes them a little harder to see the quick.

He was completely fine with his nail until ONE mistake by me and a nicked his quick and he bled a little. I put the blood stopper on him and he was completely fine.. but ever since then hes remembered that mommy hurt his toe from the clippers and now makes a huge deal out of it.

I clipped his nails and filed them tonight before pool time and as soon as he saw those clippers he started to whimper, which progessed into whines(when I grabbed his paw for clipping) and then nibbles on my hands as I was doing it. This stopped immidiatly though.

Hes flipped over on his back with his head resting on my lap while I clip his nails too(soo much eaiser then standing).

He was very good at the end(back feet) though lol I gave him a nylabone to take his "anger" out on and that served him well lol

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Chloe had her done about 2 weeks ago and that was the first time she had hers done since she's been with me, but the vet tech dremeled them since some were shorter than others...she did really well as long as I was petting her...:D

Lexus

I dremel my three a minimum of once a week, usually twice if I find the time.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Ripley's are done every month or two. With all the running and agility he does, I leave his nails a bit long so he has a better grip on things. If I notice they're looking kind of long or if they start scratching me, I trim them.

Dakota's are usually done weekly during the summer, monthly during the winter (he jogs with me on the road, which wears them down)

T

tessa_s212

wow..with 9 dogs, it is whenever you find the free time. My dogs get their nails trimmed whenever they get their toepads/feet trimmed. Once about every month. If my mom ever lets me get a dremel, I will work on getting our old girls' nails back down to a reasonable length. *embarrassed* But with Cocoa and Marq, I try to trim their nails at least every two weeks.

Saje

Island dweller
I just randomly clip them while I'm watching tv. Mav and Sakari are pretty good. Nanook is a spaz and won't lay/sit still and Mikey is the same as riot. I pinched it once and his so sad about it now. I have better clippers though and he's tolerating it better.

T

tessa_s212

Speaking of trimming nails.. this thread reminded me that Cocoa needed her nails trimmed. I got offline to brush and trim her nails.. and I cut the poor baby's quick. :( I HATE doing that to her. Her nail was black, and just as I was going to cilp her nail she twitched. Got her a good one.. The thing is, I didn't even notice it at first. She didn't yelp or pull away or anything. She just layed there. I only noticed I had clipped the quick when I saw/felt a big pile of blood on my shirt(she was flipped on her back to do the trimming, and herback feet were against my stomach). She bled BAD. I NEED a dremel! Lol

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
I don't often clip Charlie's nails, they don't grow very long, he wears them down a lot on the road when we go walking. But of course if I find them getting too long, I clip them.

Just whenever they look long. My lab has beautiful dark brown nails, and my border collie mix has a mixture of black and white nails, so when clipping theirs, just gotta be careful. Colby has "clear" nails, so I don't have to worry about her, really.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Only done Bodhis once.

She thought it was great fun - a wriggling game. She was on her back squirming. She loved it :D

She has some black nails, so I am very wary about them..

My dogs get walked everyday on grass and concrete and I can honestly say I've never had to cut my dogs nails! Im always curious as of why.. my old dog had to have his nails cut regularly and he was walked the same.. I guess its just one of those things.. I cut nails quite abit at work though, I hate seeing poor dogs come in with "Curly Nails" I really feel for them :(

Giny

I clip their nails when it's time for their grooming, about every 3 weeks.

Saje

Island dweller
Anyone ever wanted to paint their dogs nails? lol I did that with my sis' iguana. He was a great candidate. Didn't move at all. And they were blue. Definitely a boy colour :D

I've painted my girls' nails. One time Colby's were painted light pink when she went to the vet and they commented on how cute they were lol.

Brattina88

About every two weeks or when I can hear his nails click on the floor, which ever comes first
same here
I clip them fast and with a purpose. My friend made a comment that I treat their paws like a horse because I make them stand still. Ever since then I let them lay down and roll over for easy access. I used to freak out about the black nails, but its like 2nd nature to me now, I can pretty much tell by looking how short I can go w/o bleeding. I don't really know how I know, I just know :p

Julie

I am back again.
Never clip my dogs nails...
They are not long either. I guess they just wear down from walking and such.
Actually all the dogs nails seem rather short, I just looked.:D

D

Dobiegurl

Every week. Its not so much keeping them short, but I want him to feel comfortable with the clippers and the dremel. I barely even take any off.

Toller_08

Mine are dremeled every week or two. I don't like my dogs to have long nails at all..they're all kept pretty short.

It's so hard to trim black nails. Jack's are black and I'm so afraid that I'm going to clip him to short. He's such a baby to.:rolleyes:
SummerRiot said:
Riot gets his done almost every two weeks or so.. his grow fairly fast.

His nails are black as well which makes them a little harder to see the quick.

He was completely fine with his nail until ONE mistake by me and a nicked his quick and he bled a little. I put the blood stopper on him and he was completely fine.. but ever since then hes remembered that mommy hurt his toe from the clippers and now makes a huge deal out of it.

I clipped his nails and filed them tonight before pool time and as soon as he saw those clippers he started to whimper, which progessed into whines(when I grabbed his paw for clipping) and then nibbles on my hands as I was doing it. This stopped immidiatly though.

Hes flipped over on his back with his head resting on my lap while I clip his nails too(soo much eaiser then standing).

He was very good at the end(back feet) though lol I gave him a nylabone to take his "anger" out on and that served him well lol

Staff online

Members online