no chaining dogs law passes in Miami FL. press realease

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Effective April 2009, it will be unlawful to tether (chain) your pet unless you are present. In the event a pet is illegally tethered (chained), the pet owner will receive a warning. Failure to take corrective action will result in a civil penalty for cruelty of $100 and a $500 civil penalty for additional offenses.

Miami-Dade County, FL) -- In an effort to improve the safety of Miami-Dade residents, and the wellbeing of pets, Chapter V of the Miami-Dade County Code pertaining to animals has been amended and the County’s first anti-tethering law will go into affect April 2009 to give pet owners ample time to learn about the new regulations.

“Our goal is to protect our residents and pets†said Dr. Sara Pizano, Director of Miami-Dade Animal Services. “Studies show that tethered dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite. The Anti-tethering ordinance will ensure pets are treated humanely and our children play safer,†added Dr. Pizano. Animal Services is working with volunteers and trainers to educate the community about anti-tethering and proving useful resources for a smooth transition.

Effective April 2009, it will be unlawful to tether (chain) your pet unless you are present. In the event a pet is illegally tethered (chained), the pet owner will receive a warning. Failure to take corrective action will result in a civil penalty for cruelty of $100 and a $500 civil penalty for additional offenses.

A complete copy of Chapter V can be obtained in the Animal Services website www.miamidade.gov/animals.

Miami-Dade Animal Services is responsible for enforcing Chapter V, as well as Florida Statutes 828, which deals primarily with animal cruelty issues. Unlike private shelters that have limitations on the number of pets they accept, Animal Services accepts all dogs and cats. Each year, the shelter impounds more than 34,000 pets. The goal at Animal Services is to reunite lost pets with their families or find life-long homes for as many animals as possible. Related links: www.miamidade.gov/animals or call 311.

Media Contact:

Xiomara Mordcovich

305 884-1102, ext 255

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
It's Miami-Dade County. I believe pit bulls are already illegal there. :(

But still, I don't like ordinances like that. If it weren't for tethering, I don't think I would be able to keep Voodoo.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
ive never tethered my dogs, but i am going to have a GSD soon, so BSL worries me.. :(

miami dade already has banned the pitbull and the like a while ago, they are illegal to own here

R

RedyreRottweilers

If you are in Dade, also watch for laws restricting kenneling or crating of dogs. Once the anti tethering hurdle is crossed, kenneling and crating will be attacked next.

Miakoda

Heck, my neighbors across the street chain 2 of their dogs and tether a 3rd while they are away at work. And I'm talking about 1 Golden Retreiver mix, 1 Lab, & 1 Beagle (former hunting dog). Why? Because after over $1,500 in vet bills to stitch and staple and glue her dogs back together after repeated fights and after several "Have you seen my Beagle killing your rabbit?" signs after he dug under the fence and took off, they realized something more had to be done. So we gave them 3 of our extra dog houses (built by us and heavy duty) and help them with the chain/tether set-ups.

But I guess the AR groups would rather dogs get hit by cars, get seriously injured or killed from fights with other dogs, and go around chasing people on the streets all day long.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
i live in dade. and i spoke to some1 i know who works at animal services and they said that altho the law had passed, if the dogs are healthy and the owners have good reason to have them chained, most likely, no fine will be issued. and that its mostly just to discourage those who chain the dogs outside in the heat and dogs who are obviously undernourished and unhealthy.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
well, I think they'd rather your neighbors kept their dogs safely inside the house (crated if they're aggressive) rather than tied up in the yard in all kinds of weather. I'm rather concerned with your "chasing people on the street" comment. That's certainly not the type of dog who should be left outside unsupervised on nothing but a chain.

I can sorta see what they're getting out, as mentioned, it IS aimed at pit bulls... but I don't see this as a viable option to solving the issue of irresponsible pet ownership. Hopefully it is only an attempt to keep dogs healthy and the little liabilities supervised.

bubbatd

Does " unless the owners are present " mean at home ??? Our law here is not after 10 Pm or before 6 am . If they are trying to curtail all day CHAINING I'm all for it !! Most people who chain for 24 hours a day are not good owners ,,,,whatever the breed . I'm in favor of anything that may help to eliminate dog fighting !!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Emma is chained at the farm. Yes for 12+ hours at a time. There is no fence and if the weather is nice I dont want her cooped up in the house. Wich is better a 30 foot line or locked in a house? Or better yet lets let my dog get lost, hit by a car, or eaten by a Cyote.

ACooper

*shakes head* One inch at a time people..........one little inch at a time :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
i live in dade. and i spoke to some1 i know who works at animal services and they said that altho the law had passed, if the dogs are healthy and the owners have good reason to have them chained, most likely, no fine will be issued. and that its mostly just to discourage those who chain the dogs outside in the heat and dogs who are obviously undernourished and unhealthy.
If that is true, wouldn't that all already be covered under your regular animal cruelty laws? I doubt anyone would argue that it's okay to have a dog obviously suffering from that kind of neglect (no shelter from the heat, undernourished, lacking vet care, etc).

Shouldn't we be focusing on actual neglect cases? I may not love the way you keep your dog, but if it is happy, well cared for, and healthy then I really shouldn't have a say. I'll say again, there is no one right way to keep a dog. Just because I don't use something (tether, kennel, heck even a doggy purse ;) ) doesn't make it cruel.

Ah well, it's Miami-Dade. They're already known for some not so dog friendly legislation. :rolleyes:

If that is true, wouldn't that all already be covered under your regular animal cruelty laws?
Yeah, but that would be too much work. They've got to make people believe they've got the magic pill to solve everyone's problems. Nobody wants to hear about actually working with the laws they have. That might mean somebody hasn't been doing their job. We wouldn't want to make that indication, would we?

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
So they admit to selectively enforcing laws. :yikes:

Dogs out in excessive heat without shelter, dogs undernourished, dogs obviously unhealthy...should be covered under cruelty laws. I can leave my dog out in the heat, not feed him and allow him to be sick without a tether. Would that be legal because he isn't tethered?

So, the people who passed this law ~ when are they up for reelection? I hope their opponents win.

If that is true, wouldn't that all already be covered under your regular animal cruelty laws? I doubt anyone would argue that it's okay to have a dog obviously suffering from that kind of neglect (no shelter from the heat, undernourished, lacking vet care, etc).

Shouldn't we be focusing on actual neglect cases? I may not love the way you keep your dog, but if it is happy, well cared for, and healthy then I really shouldn't have a say. I'll say again, there is no one right way to keep a dog. Just because I don't use something (tether, kennel, heck even a doggy purse ;) ) doesn't make it cruel.
^^^ :hail:

Yes!! What Laurelin wrote above is *exactly* what makes me nuts about laws like the OP posted. In a sane world it's pretty simple:

a.) Enforce the anti-cruelty laws already in place.
b.) Differing opinion on *exactly* how to keep a dog does not = cruelty!!

Example: My dogs will never be fed dogs Purina Dog Chow ... I know it's not optimal nutrition. But does that mean someone who does should be fined or have their dog taken away?!? What if Purina Dog Chow is all they can afford? Does that mean they and their children shouldn't be allowed to have a dog?

There's a huge difference between a dog chained outside 24/7 and ignored ... as opposed to a dog tethered outside for a few hours each day. What about people who don't have a fence? Has Miami-Dade county effectively decided that whomever does not have a fence cannot have a dog?

Members online