Finally a happy story

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
After having my 8 year old neice out here for a week it reminded me of when she was 5 and stayed a week. As you know i have a pond on my property and she did'nt and still doesent know how to swim.

We had went out to the barn and I told her to sit on the bench and wait for me to get the dogs ready (we were going to get ready to go for a ride and some dogs were already harnessed in the yard). I know its alot to ask of a 5 year old to sit still for more then 5 seconds but what can i say this was the first real visit with out her dad she had to my place and i was still geting used to her. It was the dead of winter and she was bundled so much she reminded me of the kid from "A Christmas Story" because she even could'nt put her arms completely at her sides :eek: . I was busy getting the dogs out and i have to admit I wasent paying close attention. Then I say something to Ta Ta and she doesent answer so i looked up and she was gone!!!!!!

I ran from the barn screaming for her and by this point crying i could'nt see her anywhere. Then I hear a splash and my heart hit my stomach!!!!The Pond is a good 10-15 min walk from the barn and about a 20 min from the house. But it seemed like I got there in about 2 hours! I was screaming and huffing and puffing (asthma) runnnig up to the pond. And when I get there what do I see but Hitch paws dug in the frozen ground the best he can his jaws clamped on the right arm of Tatums jacket holding her had just above water while she screamed bloody murder. He was trying to drag her out but he being such a light dog he was slipping closer to the frozen pond himself! I grabbed her other arm and his harness and took all i had to pull them back. Both me and Tatum lay there crying and hugging and petting and thanking Hitchcock.

I carried her back to the house and boy was she ever heavy with all those winer clothes on. And Hitch stayed right at my heels whining and panting. By the time I got her down to her regular clothes she was wearing pre winter clothing she was pretty much dry not even damp but very cold. I put her im her PJ's at 12pm lol and put her in my bed and Hitch hopped up with her and laid his head over her back and they slept and cuddled there the rest of the day.

Funny thing was Hitch hated kids but after that day he has always had a special love for Tatum.

Such a Special dog he is i will miss him with all my heart when he goes over the rainbow bridge . He has more grey on his face everyday............

That WAS a good story, Pits. I'm sure Tatum will never for get that day, or what Hitch did for her.

It's so hard when you start to notice that greying muzzle. You pretend you don't see if for as long as you can, then one day you can't deny it anymore and every single day - every special moment with them is a treasure.

GSDFan05

Wow, thanks for sharing that story! The things dogs do sometimes are truly amazing...I had my life saved by a dog when I was a toddler and it left an impression that has never ever left me (I think it 'imprinted' me on GSDs for life). Hitch is definitely a dog to be proud of!

I think I speak for everybody when I say the more stories you tell the better, if they dont bring me a smile they jerk a tear from my eye.

If need be Ill help fund the Scarlette audio stories.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Aww thanks guys yes Hitch really is a Hero he has brought me through alot and is just so special to me (hence why I bred him this last time). He's my Old Yeller I should say lol he's saved me and those I love that many times.

I do plan on writing a book and im working out how I want it to go right now. You know you all will be on my thank you list.

gapeach

Big Mutts
That was an incredible story, thank goodness Hitch was there and figured out what to do!

Richie12345

Wow... amazing, that's the kind of things you see in movies... what a great dog. It's funny how dogs sense danger, and react so quickly to it. Nice story, Pits!

Members online

No members online now.