Building a new working program.

oriondw

user not active
Im trying to build my self and my pup a new work program. This time its for fun and to perfect his confidence as well as the commands for future work with protection. Which I look for starting in little more then 6-8 months.

So.

Needless to say we know all the basic commands from down, to crawl, to alert, to jump and take-down.

Im thinking of building a nice program for daily work that mostly stresses obedience. I need him to be at 100% in timeframe listed above. He's at good 90% when under my control :))

Day 1: Walking exercizes - Heeling at high speed, sprints with abrupt stops and go's. Doing this on mostly difficult terrain such as sand or hills. Pretty much aimed to keep dogs attention on me at all times and improve endurance.

Day 2: Training for patience, all sorts of stand, waits, stay's, in different postures and different lengths of time.

Day 3: Rest because of schedule conflicts.

Day 4: This day I dedicated to what I think is one of the most important commands, at least in my breed, "STOP". Meaning Stop doing whatever ( running, sniffing, playing with ball, chasing squirls) and stop in stand position without moving at all. I believe this to be extremely important command.
This will also include perfecting the "Down and stay on the run" command.

Day 5: Rest because of schefule conflicts.

Day 6: Pretty much mind and game exercizes to improve reaction time and simply make dog think. Things will include a combination of searching for things, catching various objects in mid air, and chasing down obejects.

Day 7: Rest before Day 1.

Anyone think I missed anything or should remove something?

Please add what you think, all suggestions welcome.

Doberluv

Wow, your dog know a lot. What breed is it again? Weren't you the one with the dog who did it's work naturally, all by himself...without needing you? Does he do all that without you there to tell him? I think that's astounding!

oriondw

user not active
Doberluv said:
Wow, your dog know a lot. What breed is it again? Weren't you the one with the dog who did it's work naturally, all by himself...without needing you? Does he do all that without you there to tell him? I think that's astounding!
Caucasian Ovcharka

There are different kinds of work. The work he does not need me for is guarding. This is different.

This will directly involve me to improve our team work together.

Orion should do magnificently learning those things. He's well suited - a natural - for what you want from him.

"Stop" is what Kharma needs work on! She doesn't stop herding until all the cows are in one place . . . even when they don't need to be :rolleyes: But she can do it all by herself - never seen anything like it (shakes head).

Mind sharing your 'stop' training techniques?

oriondw

user not active
Renee750il said:
Mind sharing your 'stop' training techniques?

Im still working on it :D

I got him to a point where he will stop with lead on but without any touching of lead.

Next Ill be moving to very long lead, then to a very long but small rope, then ill try and do it without lead on.

Hmmmm . . . good idea. I just have to figure out how to work with a long enough lead out with the cows - too much potential for disaster. I may have to stick with a regular leash out there. Lovely feeling when there are cows panicking to get away from the dog . . . :eek:

Doberluv

Cool! That must be really neat to watch them work. When you say, "stop," do you mean...just stop? (lol) Lyric knows "halt." He can be running or walking...whatever I say "halt." That means to stop. We've been working on his long down, while I hide for several minutes and then I call him (from a long distance) and at about half way, I say, "halt" and then "platz" and he is to lie down quickly and wait. Then I call him to come in front. Later, I will eliminate the command, halt in that exercise and just say platz and that means he should instantly drop to a down. It's a little sloppy still, not as brisk about stopping and dropping as I'd like, but he's getting much better. Is that what you mean? That kind of stuff?

Yes, the Doberman, too needs no training to protect. They just know....it's in their breeding and they have an uncanny ability to descern between good strangers and bad strangers. My Dobe has already demonstrated his protection ability on a couple of specific occasions. It's pretty neat and scary.....grrrr, big teeth. Some are better than others, of course.

oriondw

user not active
Doberluv said:
Cool! That must be really neat to watch them work. When you say, "stop," do you mean...just stop? (lol) Lyric knows "halt." He can be running or walking...whatever I say "halt." That means to stop. We've been working on his long down, while I hide for several minutes and then I call him (from a long distance) and at about half way, I say, "halt" and then "platz" and he is to lie down quickly and wait. Then I call him to come in front. Later, I will eliminate the command, halt in that exercise and just say platz and that means he should instantly drop to a down. It's a little sloppy still, not as brisk about stopping and dropping as I'd like, but he's getting much better. Is that what you mean? That kind of stuff?
Yeah thats pretty much it :)
The down command is just something fancy i like to try, I really only need him to freeze on command.
Doberluv said:
Yes, the Doberman, too needs no training to protect. They just know....it's in their breeding and they have an uncanny ability to descern between good strangers and bad strangers. My Dobe has already demonstrated his protection ability on a couple of specific occasions. It's pretty neat and scary.....grrrr, big teeth. Some are better than others, of course.
Very different breeds used for different purpuses. There are alot of things that a dobe can do better then my dog, but for me thats not really important :))

Members online

No members online now.