Cane Corso for me?

I want a Cane Corso but I need a little help.

1) Is the Cane Corso like the grate Dane in eating. Meaning they can't be feed but one hand full?

2) Are Cane Corso friendly with other dogs?

3) In addition, are they too friendly to be guard dogs?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm not quite sure what you're saying in your first question, because both the Danes and the CC's that I feed get fairly large amounts of food. 2 cups twice a day for the CC's and 3-4 cups twice a day for the Danes.

I've met one CC who was ok around other dogs. Not overly friendly, but not aggressive. The two that I deal with on a regular basis...one basically ignores other dogs, the other wants to eat them. Then it's reversed for people..the dog aggro one loves people and the dog-neutral one will try to eat the people it doesn't know. They make good guard dogs; they have a very deep, resounding bark that carries quite well.

I'm sure that if you get a puppy, the CC will accept any dogs you already have, and possibly with good socialization it will be ok around other dogs when they get older. But it's something I would always keep an extra-sharp eye on.

They also slobber bucket fulls! :)

oriondw

user not active
Most are not dog friendly and not stranger friendly.

A dog for experienced owner. REquires lots of time, lots of obedience work and socialization to downplay the natural aggresiveness.

Ok good I work with Corso before they are fun to train.
Good the dogs I saw are to nice, if a robber came in the house they would just lick them.

R

rottiegirl

Ok good I work with Corso before they are fun to train.
Good the dogs I saw are to nice, if a robber came in the house they would just lick them.
Any mastiff or molosser breed will make a good guard dog, because that is what they were bred for. Any mastiiff that doesnt protect its family was poorly bred.

showpug

feeding a Great Dane one handful?:confused: My dane ate 6 cups a day :eek: Anyway, a Cane Corso is defiantly a protective breed. These dogs are a breed that needs to be taken very seriously. Before you get one, I would find a breeder that you can talk to and meet with. You need to find a mentor in the breed that can answer your questions.

Ok no this guy I worked with said if you feed his Grate dane to much his stomach would do something.

Last edited:

showpug

MOODYGIRL said:
Ok no this guy I worked with said if you feed his Grate dane to much his stomach
He was probably referring to the connection between over feeding and gastric torsion a.k.a. bloat. You do have to be careful about how you feed the deep chested giant breeds, but they need a lot of food to sustain them - usually.

Members online

No members online now.