Dogs and irrational fears

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Psyche's scared of pop cans/pop bottles. I can't break it, no matter how hard I try.

And she was also scared of my Rebel camera when I first got it, the weirdo.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Finn lately is freaked out by anyone showering in the main floor shower. He is fine if HE is the one in the shower getting a bath, but if the door is closed and someone else is showering, he scuttles to a corner and cowers. Ugh.

Otherwise, not much really, which I'm thankful for.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Bridges. Daisy hates bridges. There is just something different about the way they feel under feet that she doesn't like. We've mostly worked through that fear (going over tiny bridges on this one walking path and letting Daisy find treats in the middle helped, they became Uncomfortable Things instead of Scary Things), in that if there is no other way she will go over, but Daisy prefers to avoid bridges whenever possible!

Daisy also has this weird thing where she won't go down stairs sometimes unless we tell her she can. I have no idea where that came from!

ETA: Oh yeah, and Benji is terrified of box turtles! He won't go near them! I am greatly amused by this dog who is basically scared of a living rock. :D

Neither dog likes balloons much. And there was this toy I brought home that was a dolphin, and it squeaked its nose and dragged itself across the floor on its flippers. Daisy sniffed it and decided it was weird and freaky, Benji wanted nothing to do with it all! Lol

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I should also add that Psyche's not scared of pop bottles or pop cans unless you look at her with them in your hand. Then she thinks you're trying to kill her, obviously, and that the pop can/bottle is encouraging your killing her, and thus the can/bottle should be blamed. *shrugs*

Bella used to be scared of people who put their head back, and rubbed their throat while going "siiiiiiiiiiccccckkk". Like as in, "my throat is sore, I'm sick." A little boy I used to watch did that when he didn't want to finish his food, and I, thinking it was adorable, decided to do it, and so while showing my parents one night, and we all jokingly did it, Bella ran up stairs and hid.

Bailey08

Bailey could not care less about sirens, thunder, fireworks, trains, etc., but sometimes unusual noises bother him. He has some anxiety generally, though.

He's afraid of the freezer -- because, before I got a separate one for his stuff, it was always stuffed and, when I opened the door to take out his food, it wasn't unusual for something to fall out. Totally freaked him out, so now he always runs away when I open it. (We do this at least once a day because he eats raw, frozen. And nothing has fallen out in months.)

He doesn't like it when I blow bubbles (with my gum), either. And cameras and camera phones seem to weird him out.

elegy

overdogged
steve is scared of thunderstorms in a huge way, and fireworks as well. live music (radio is fine). random things that he isn't expecting (once i left a pair of shoes on the floor right outside my closet... freaked him out).

my dearly departed harvey was scared of thunderstorms/fireworks as well. he was also scared of the pooper scooper and cameras. oh, and the clicker.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Pit is absolutely terrified of my sneezes. If he sees me gearing up my sneeze-face, he books it as far away from me as possible in a scuttling frenzy and usually won't let me come near him for a few minutes afterwards. :rolleyes:
HA!
I don't know why but that is the funniest fear to have. Poor Pit.

Duke is afraid of cats outside. If we see one on a walk I have to drag him away from staring at it wide eyed, and then he spends a solid ten minutes being flighty and looking over his back. He's fine with cats otherwise. Cautious, but ok.

And my basement.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Laur... remember when Nard was afraid of the little bridge near the dog park we went to? lol

Cricket is afraid of the ceiling fan in the living room, she is also apparently afraid of walls sometimes??? She'll stare at a wall and growl and bark it once in a while. I can't quite figure that one out. She's also scared of certain people, like the waiter we had at the restaurant we went to with Cricket.

Bamm is afraid of a lot of things, but I'll list a few. Sneezes, certain toys if I put them in a spot they weren't when he left them last, balloons terrify him, terrified of people pointing anything at him, thunder, lightning, spiders.... I'll have to think of more

RD

Are you dead yet?
Eve is scared of loud noises, no matter how far away they are. She is afraid of creaks and bumps in a house. There is no amount of consolation that'll convince her that there is no cause for concern.

She is afraid of fireworks, explosions, jackhammers and gunshots even though neither of those things have ever harmed her before.

Aescleah

goblin and zeph really dont have any fears

argo on the other hand hates storms sneezes its sends him into a barking frenzy and me putting my keyboard down which for him this means he is going outside which isnt always the case but he thinks so as soon as i do he is under the chair

Ashley

Grab

Jules hates the clicker. It doesn't matter that I've associated it with fabulous treats or that he's not affected by any other noise (even similar ones). We have to use a marker word instead.

My late Basset was afraid of flies. She was bitten by a large, nasty fly on a walk one summer and from then on if a fly got inside, she'd run from one room to another, panting and sad.

Blue still doesnt like young kids or small dogs. After the fight he got into a few years back he may be racist against black dogs. My neighbors lab and Blue used to be buddies but last time she was over here Blue got all bent out of shape and went after her.

I cant think of a thing Verde would be afraid of.

Hillside

Original Twin
Saga is scared of wooden/open stairs. We had been staying at a hotel that had them and while she was not pleased to go up them the first time, she did, only to walk into the glass door at the top. Now? NO WAY will she do them.
Saga is also scared of loud noises, but she is totally fine with thunderstorms...

Weirdo.

I remember this one. Out rafting for the weekend we where shooting at cans on the sand bar. Blue starts running at the offending cans we where shooting at and Verde is trying to hide under my buddy and his camp chair.

So Verde doesnt like gunshots, and Blue doesnt like things Im shooting at.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Quinn is timid of other dogs, thats about it actually. I feel like she's a shy, scared little dog but nothing seriously worries her.

Specsy

Owned by Rottweilers
Bella isnt scared of, but she HATE cameras or camera phones. HATES THEM, if you take one out and point it at her she will immediately run away. She once grabbed my phone out of my hand when I tried to take a picture of her, I always have to catch her off guard, it makes photo taking difficult.

I think my dog's fears are pretty rational to them. :p

The sight of a towel sends Pip slinking away like he's facing the gallows, and especially (god forbid) if you're carrying more than one. To him, towels = bath. He also doesn't like smooth floors of any kind.

None of them like open stairs, which is fortunate because it means they won't go in the basement where the litterboxes are. :D

Thunder doesn't bother any of mine, but fireworks are a problem for Pip.

Restraint of any kind makes Maisy absolutely panic, she's always been that way since I've had her. It makes me a little sad, actually. It also makes nail trims and getting blood taken interesting. :/

Members online

No members online now.