Ideas for Dog Yard

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
So the dog yard is a 30x30 area off the back deck that I put up last year. I need to have my dad come help me fix it, it's not put up together but they don't bother or try to challenge it.

Trying to find something I could put in it instead of having plain old grass out there. By fall it was looking pretty patchy and a handful of holes Lincoln had dug.

Was thinking like saw dust/chips or mulch. Something that will help it not become a giant mud pit this spring (maybe put stray down?) and would be okay for them to play on, and easy for poo to be scooped up.

Thanks!!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My parents used river run (small gravel) in their dog kennel runs. The river run packs down nicely so scooping is easier than with pea gravel.

I'm thinking about doing something similar at our new house, so I'll be interested to hear what everyone else has to add. :)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the doggy day care i worked for used artificial grass in their outdoor spaces, over a bed of gravel, it wasnt the lined stuff so it drained, and all we had to do was pick up poop and spot it quick with a hose.

DanL

Yeah, who wants their dogs to feel real grass under their feet? If I could afford it I'd do my entire back yard in astroturf.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i was actually thinking of doing that dan back a few years ago when i was looking at town houses with little back yards...never had to water it, never have to mow it and no worries about pesticides...perfect, and the stuff i was looking at was all recycled materials lol

too expensive for large scale aplication though.

i LOVE real grass BUT on the grand scale of things its actually got the most upkeep of any plant and is incredibly watefull to keep a nice lawn.
and if the dogs are just gonna dig it all up and turn it into a mud bath its not like their feeling grass under their feet anyway lol

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I may try the gravel. Mom doesn't want anything major done to it in case she ever sells the house (yeah, like someone would buy this POS. lol).

Would straw work for covering up mud spots?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I may try the gravel. Mom doesn't want anything major done to it in case she ever sells the house (yeah, like someone would buy this POS. lol).

Would straw work for covering up mud spots?
I would think that mulch would be easier to remove if you had to than gravel, although you don't have to replace gravel like you do mulch.

Snark

Mutts to you
If there's mud, the straw will get worked into it and become a soggy, muddy mess - make sure you buy a metal pitchfork... On the plus side, you can make bricks!

1/2 inch gravel works nicely, it packs down pretty well (you can buy a tamper at any hardware store), drains, is an easy surface to scoop and doesn't 'go back to the river' like river rock will (I swear that stuff floats!) We just had 19 tons dropped on our driveway/parking area - cost $200.

DanL

If you have several dogs running frequently on a 30x30 plot of ground, you are going to have serious mud issues, especially if the root are not well established.
Oh, I know. We have an L shaped area 100x100 on the long sides and about 50x50 on the short sides, and having nice grass is something I long gave up. Still, I'd rather they feel grass and dirt under their feet than artificial surfaces or rock/gravel.

bubbatd

I like mulch better that gravel . Make some containers from rail road timbers to add some plants for color .

Members online