Some rare breeds for yah.

Deutscher Wachtelhund​
They originated in Germany and are versatile dogs used to hunt game in sparse areas and or bad terrain. The earliest recorded ones are from the 1600's. They are mainly sold and breed by hunters to hunters so not many non-hunters no about them. They are loyal and great family dogs and they like to live indoors instead of being kenneled outside, probably meaning they would rather be with their people.

Jagdterrier​
A breed created at the turn of the century. They where developed in Germany to hunt game such as boar,bear, fox and weasel. The few imported to the US where used to hunt mainly squirrels. It was recognized in 1993 by the AKC.

Thai Bangkaew​
Originated centuries ago in Thailand. The first dog was supposedly found by an abbot found wandering around the countryside, after inspecting it, the dog was found to be pregnant. Knowing how isolated the area was and that no domestic dogs lived nearby he thought she had mated with a wolf or jackal. Modern testing proves that they are descended from a Jackal X Dog mating. Like most spitz breeds they need an experienced handler.

Volpino​
Thought to have originated in 3000BC, these dogs are one of the oldest breeds. They descended from prehistoric European Spitz dogs and where favored by Italion nobility.

Pops2

your info on the jagds is a little off. i don't know a single one used for squirrel (although i am sure some are) most that i know of are used on boar & coon. have seen them on dogger related sites of them treeing bear, bobcat & mt lion. have also seen them used on traplines and for denning coyotes.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
LOVE jagds - agreed, most people i've heard that have them like to use them on bear (!!) coolest little dogs ever lol

and wait, the AKC recognizes them!?!

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
LOVE jagds - agreed, most people i've heard that have them like to use them on bear (!!) coolest little dogs ever lol

I think that was a mis-type. From their UKC standard: "The Jagdterrier was recognized by the United Kennel Club on January 1, 1993."

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I think that was a mis-type. From their UKC standard: "The Jagdterrier was recognized by the United Kennel Club on January 1, 1993."

I double checked and they're not even FSS (yet ...)

Staff online

Members online