Long term boarding?

mojozen

bullie lover
This spring, my boyfriend and I will be going to New York City for a week long trip. We will not be taking Mojo with us, as it would not be feasible. I have decided he will have to be boarded because I do not trust my family to take proper care of Mojo, as they, nor my friends, are dog people or even really care for dogs. **

While I have boarded Mojo for a night at his vet's in the past, I have moved to another state and do not know my new vet well enough to board Mojo with him. So I am trying to find an appropriate kennel for my dog...

I am nervous about boarding him for a long period of time at a kennel. I have heard more than a few horror stories about people's dogs being lost, stolen, picking up an illness, or even hurt while being boarded.

Does anyone have any advice for me in what I should look for in a kennel? What questions i should ask? And is it too early to start looking for the kennel that will ultimately be carnig for my dog while I am away?

Any help would be appreciated!

**(bottom line is I am REALLY protective and picky of Mojo's care.)

What I would do is actually go & check out the available boarding kennels in your area. Ask to see the actual kennels & outdoor runs. Ask for references. You can also ask for referrals from your vet's office. Make a list of all the questions you can think of and take it with you so you can go through all of them such as what is their procedure in case of any type of emergency. If you find one you feel comfortable with it might be worthwhile to do a 1-2 nite board with them to see how Mojo does there.

Fran27

I agree. I also had to search for kennels as I will have to kennel my dogs for a week or so at some point. I did a google search and checked the websites, and just bookmarked the sites I like so I can contact and visit them at some point. Checking with your vet is a good idea also. I think what's important is to see what food they feed, how big their kennels are, and if they have some play/walk time, and where the play/walk time takes place. I wouldn't be comfortable with a kennel that walks the dogs in a non fenced area or that puts all dogs together all the time.

F

fastpitchchic

Have you looked into a bonded home sitter? That way your baby can be in his own surroundings while some one looks after him. They can also keep an eye on your home while your away.
If you choose to kennel your pup I would also pay attention to the way the kennel smells, it shouldn't smell dirty or have urine or feces smells either. Most kennels will let you tour the facility without an appointment, I would be warry of kennels that say you can only come in at certain times. Ask how many times a day they walk the dogs, what time do they feed them, is there some one always there to keep an eye on the animals. Do they have a vet that they can take the animals to 24/7. Do they only walk the dogs or do they take them out to play for a few minutes.
If you don't feel comfortable to the facililty chances are your pup won't either. Good luck in your search

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
arrive unnanounced a couple times..at different times of the day.Ask for a tour.BE fair in your evaluation..all kennels are messy first thing in the morning but that should be taken care of regularly. See if your dog will be exercised and where..will meds be charted as well as given on time..what condition are the water buckets..and the drain system..watch the staff, are they friendly or all business..all business is ok unless it is cold and impersonal.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
All very good things to ask for. When I give tour of my facility I also point out that we keep a very close eye on all our dogs and will make play adjustments as necessary. What i mean by that is that we divide the dogs into two groups based on size for play. However, if there is a very tough, very rough smaller dog, we will try it out in big dog and see how it does. We have a Corgi out with our big guys and he loves it. At the same time, any big dogs that are too nervous or intimidated out in big dog can try out small dog, provided they don't beat up the smaller guys.

Ask what the place uses to clean. Bleach should be dealt with very carefully and is not the best nor safest product to use around dogs. Ask how many times a day they change out bowls, do they wash blankets constantly or only when filthy. What do they do if a dog messes it's run? What do they do if a dog gets the runs?

Your vet is probably a pretty good place to ask, news travels fast and they would know if something catastrophic happened at a particular place.

First of all....Zoom...please don't take offence at what I am about to say.

The above mentioned guidelines are fine but, having worked at a kennel for 11 yrs., I would like to say that what you are told is going to happen there isn't necessarily what your dog is going to get (the "play" time, exercise, attention etc). If this kind of stuff isn't your biggest worry, go for cleanliness, safety, friendliness of the staff and whether or not you are able to just "walk in" and view the facility. A reputable kennel will not let you go directly into the area where the dogs are housed (for liablility and other issues) but you should be able to see the area close enough to get the general idea.
Also, a week isn't considered long term boarding. How your dog is going to do in a boarding environment depends a lot on your dog.
As a Professional Pet Sitter, I would also have to say that this is an excellent option you may want to consider. I would like to add that unless the company is not a sole proprietor, being bonded means nothing. You want a sitter that is insured. I would be happy to help you locate a good pet sitter in your area. E-mail me if you need any help if you decide to go that route.

BTW, Zoom....you sound a lot like me when I worked at a kennel. I can tell that you are one of those people who make a difference there because you really care. Not everyone who does your job is like that. I think you would make an excellent Pet Sitter. I'd love to talk with you in PM or e-mail. :)

Pam

I understnad how you feel do what the others say, i am bording my 5 for just over two weeks soon and i have contacted a few kennels and will be going to visit them soon then I will decide which ones I like and then see them again closer to the time

One problem i cant seem to sort is all the kennels here charge a amount then say its all in, they ask what food I feed so I tell them, and they sugest a cheeper food for me to try i say no i am happy with burns but they still say try it, I know its because if they are on a cheep food then they make more and with an expensive food then they make less well tough! it doesnt make me put much faith in them

Dani

Ninja Dog
Bear has had a horrible experience at a kennel. BE SURE that they will take your dog out daily.

Look around the facility, make sure everything is clean and in order. Do the dogs there look well cared for? Make sure they have your contact information, and emergency contact. Leave your dog with something familiar. Good luck.

Fran27

Gallen, I've seen all kinds of policies here about food... Some feed eukanuba, some another brand, and another asks you to bring your own food. So it's up to the kennels I think.

But man it's hard to find something I like. I'm paranoid about everything and worried something will happen to the dogs. Ugh. I will ask my vet for some suggestions for sure, but I know I will worry the whole time :(

Zoom

Twin 2.0
thewhitewitchone said:
First of all....Zoom...please don't take offence at what I am about to say.

The above mentioned guidelines are fine but, having worked at a kennel for 11 yrs., I would like to say that what you are told is going to happen there isn't necessarily what your dog is going to get (the "play" time, exercise, attention etc). If this kind of stuff isn't your biggest worry, go for cleanliness, safety, friendliness of the staff and whether or not you are able to just "walk in" and view the facility. A reputable kennel will not let you go directly into the area where the dogs are housed (for liablility and other issues) but you should be able to see the area close enough to get the general idea.
Also, a week isn't considered long term boarding. How your dog is going to do in a boarding environment depends a lot on your dog.
As a Professional Pet Sitter, I would also have to say that this is an excellent option you may want to consider. I would like to add that unless the company is not a sole proprietor, being bonded means nothing. You want a sitter that is insured. I would be happy to help you locate a good pet sitter in your area. E-mail me if you need any help if you decide to go that route.

BTW, Zoom....you sound a lot like me when I worked at a kennel. I can tell that you are one of those people who make a difference there because you really care. Not everyone who does your job is like that. I think you would make an excellent Pet Sitter. I'd love to talk with you in PM or e-mail. :)

Pam
No offence, and I like to think I make a difference. :) I take my job very seriously, both because that's just my work ethic and for the love of the dogs. We're the top boarding facility in my area (and are opening more facilities around the country this year) and as I like to say "You get what you pay for." We charge more, but it's worth it. We do give guided tours because we offer different types of rooms and it's a bigger selling point when they can see what we're talking about; personally I'd be wary of a place that didn't let me see the boarding area. The only places they can't just walk into are the daycare areas, because of obvious safety reasons.

Gallien Jacks said:
One problem i cant seem to sort is all the kennels here charge a amount then say its all in, they ask what food I feed so I tell them, and they sugest a cheeper food for me to try i say no i am happy with burns but they still say try it, I know its because if they are on a cheep food then they make more and with an expensive food then they make less well tough! it doesnt make me put much faith in them
Bad mojo! Don't they know that abruptly switching a dogs food will cause stomach problems?? If they don't know THAT, what else don't they know/care about?
The kennel I worked at asked you to bring your own food. Makes sense, right?

Pam

Zoom...we gave guided tours too. You could see the dog "rooms" from the hallway through a window. This wasn't a cheap kennel either....it was very nice and I think the best in our area. I worked briefly at another kennel and it was just primitive. Does your kennel have a web-site? Can you PM me a link to it? Just curious!

Pam

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Also, a week really isn't that long. We have a pair of Goldens that are staying with us for 5 MONTHS while the owner's new home is being built. THAT'S long term. :)

At the place where I board OC (I love this place www.royackers.com ) they have a dog that actually LIVES there because where his owner currantly lives, she's not allowed to keep dogs but she couldn't bear to give up her beloved pet. She drives to the kennel 1-2 times a day to see her boy. It's incredible! Next December OC's probably going to have to stay at the kennel for up to 3 weeks since Í might be at a family reunion in Brazil!

i was going to surgest to them that i will pay the usuall nording fees and also send their food along, as I want them to satay on the same food, but it worries me, i really dont know if I can trust them, I guess we will see when I go and visit

Sheba

I W A L R
I, personally, do not like kennels. The dogs are at risk or getting an unknows disease that the owners didnt know about, the dogs dont get as much attention, and not enough room! If I tried to board Wendy, she would go ballistic... she loves running.

Members online

No members online now.