Ever thought about deworming yourself?

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Yah. Have done it before on accident (strongid tastes kind of banana-ey). Would also be curious to do a fecal on myself (though I think I'll skip the loop), just out of curiosity.

Related: there's a parasitologist researcher at our school that, every now and then, will be looking at a fecal smear when the agenda is clear (AKA everything else is looked at). If asked something like 'oh what sample is that? We didn't get anything in' he'll simply reply 'primate' and leave it at that.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh GOD. You people are horrible. I have to wait until THURSDAY before I can get to the store!

Oh lord. I hope CVS has it. :( UGH. Does the human stuff get rid of hook, whip and tape worms too?

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
You guys mean it is not routine to do it in the States? I deworm all of us, dogs and humans, every 3 months.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm not very easy to gross out, but this thread has achieved that. Ew.
Seriously! I started feeling pretty nasty after reading this thread. Blech.

I feel like I need to deworm myself now but I don't really want to deal with any side effects from the drug.

Grab

I'm a fairly obsessive hand washer and no licking of my face (or hands) is allowed, so I'm not too worried. Still grossed out though.

I'd skip the worming even if I wasn't incubating the fetus, but I'll be waiting to hear everyone else's results:p

elegy

overdogged
nope. as i've never had anything i'd consider symptoms, i don't worry about it. even if i do have some sort of worms, i'm not worried about it. gives my immune system something to do.

did you know that worms are a treatment in some really resistant cases of crohn's disease and IBD? and that people in countries where it's common to have parasitic infections don't get those diseases? it's purely a development of being parasite free.

can't win, no matter what you do ;)

mrose_s

BusterLove
lol, I always find it funny when I meet people that havn't dewormed themselves. I thought everyone did, my sister and I grew up in dogs faces/beds and ended up being regularily wormed.
I havn't in years though.

ACooper

:yikes: No, I have never been dewormed, but I'm always barefoot, and Orson had worms a few years ago so of course I was the one cleaning up after him!

*Puts wormer on the list of things to buy*

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Since I took so much of ivermectin that tracers were visible behind everything that moved I would assume I am ok. I would think if you had tapes they would be visible in your stool. A lady down the street from my Mom had a 3 ft tape worm in her intestine.

I will say that after fighting this disease of Babasia there is not near enough attention payed to people on the parasite level.I have cat scratch fever and have had it for over a decade which means it is very hard to get rid of. Because i am having a hard time getting rid of that, I am having a hard time getting rid of the lyme. Yet most of the regular doctors i have seen have had no idea what it was. I bet the same is true for parasites.

I remember when I was in jr college that my bio teacher talked about how hook worm (i believe..it's been a long time) lays in the dew on the top of grass blades and people who were barefoot (often slaves) were infected making them anemic and there for sluggish which was then assumed they were "lazy". I haven't stepped into dew laden grass since.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Pretty sure you need a decently bad tape infection until you have visible segments in stool. Both my guys have had reoccurring tape issues. Wormer will kill what they have, they poop out dead worms and end up reinfected. They both needed a really heavy tape worm load before it was visible in their stool.

Good to know deworming is common everywhere but north america apparently..

I'm pretty sure I killed worms last night. I was nauseated for hours.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I'm looking for stuff at work today, or ordering it for tomorrow.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now afraid to poop. That is all. LOL

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Why did i have to read this thread?! I resisted all four pages! Yuck!

Dekka

Just try me..
Well I have to say I am very glad I did.

I didn't expect a dramatic change, but I have.

The day after I dewormed myself I made chicken, dressing the works. I put what I would normally put on my plate (and still often go back for seconds) I couldn't finish it!

I used to be constantly hungry. Not OMG I am starving, but hungry enough to make resisting snacking almost impossible. I also don't crave sweet things as often, found out afterwards that that can also be attributed to a decent worm load.

Elegy: I am not worried about a few worms. But you do know of the damage they do to intestines and blood vessels right? A heavy worm load is more than just a little something for your immune system to look after.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I've never done it intentionally but I have tasted Zimectrin before - it's pretty **** nasty, and I'm sure I know why my horse puts his nose as far away from me as possible when I come out with the white tube of death.

A lady down the street from my Mom had a 3 ft tape worm in her intestine.
I don't like this thread!

I had no idea how squeamish I am of parasites until reading all this. The problem now is that I don't want worms, but I don't want to buy a wormer because I'd rather not know if I had them to begin with. The perils!

Doberluv

I never thought a thing about it until I watched, for the first time, Monsters within me...like Bigpoodleperson. That was the most disgusting show...horrifying! Much worse than this thread, let me tell ya. OMG! Some of those parasites are REEEEEEEEELLY dangerous! And they show all these gruesome videos of the worms squiggling around and through body organs. I mean....sick! I almost lost my lunch. It was spaghetti.

There's one that can be in the soil so they say don't go barefoot and always use garden gloves. I never use gloves because then my fingers aren't nimble enough to pick little weeds and do other things. And barefoot? Yeah, there's some kind of chemical we put out that is on our hands and bottoms of our feet that attract this parasite. I forget...maybe it was that Barbasia Smkie mentioned. Then there's strongyloides. That one seems the creepiest of all. Strongyloides Stercoralis: eMedicine Emergency Medicine

And here's another one....it looks like it could be found anywhere in the US. Cryptosporidiosis; The New Enemy: This Dangerous Parasite is Becoming a Common Threat in US.

There's parasites that get into the brain tissue. HORRIBLE!

So, I don't know about taking animal de-wormers. Maybe they're not the right thing for humans...too strong, too weak? I don't know much about it. But maybe it's better to ask a Doctor and get the kind that's just right for people or right for the type of worm that lives in your area. Some don't live everywhere. Those meds can be hard on you too, I think.

LOL. Now we're all paranoid and there's going to be a rash of people going in to their doctors, asking for de-worming. They're going to wonder, WTF?

Xandra

lol I certainly thought about it, but no one really talked about worming people so I just sort of wrote it off as a non issue... hmmm...

Members online

No members online now.