Shock (E-collars)

Lolas Dad

i've put up video a couple times. that pretty much refutes every claim this "research" paper has made.

but i am not "pro" ecollar. I just hate it when I see junk paraded as some sort of proof then repeated and repeated and repeated like it's some sort of truth.
One time a friend gave me what I thought was a zippo lighter to use. I opened the lighter and went to light it but instead of it lighting it gave me a shock and my reaction was that I threw it across the room. I could imagine a dog going through the same thing except not having a way out of it. The videos I have seen of dogs with a shock collar failed to have the instructor demonstrate the collar on himself first. Do you know of any that are like that to where the instructor uses it on himself first and then puts it on the dog with the same setting.

The only thing I seen that came close was when a person that was using one on their dog and had to call Victoria Stillwell in for training. She demonstrated the shock of the collar on the dog owner's arm and at the lowest setting the dog owner did not like what it felt like. Victoria then promptly threw it in the trash.

The only time I seen a shock collar as an effective tool and used in the proper fashion was in the following video.

YouTube - Doritos Super Bowl Commercial Dog Bark Collar Revenge

well then I guess hitting children and wives to get desired results are ok as well. After all, it works and the person seems happy when not being hit...so it must be ok. NO wait...I'll PINCH them instead because thats not painful, its just uncomfortable. :rolleyes:

Iam not 100% against them, if it will save a life, but to teach basic behaviors :yikes:

:popcorn:

MarieG

THE Dog Class
It was a reasonable request

To the OP, not wanting a National Debate? How could you post such as request on a dog forum and not expect it turn into one? When this is such a highly debated and heated topic?
I can post such a request expecting it not to turn into one because I asked a specific question for studies - not for individual's opinion. In fact, if you review the original post, I even wrote: "Not just anecdotal reviews (or "In my opinion)."

I asked for research for a particular reason. I didn't expect the old "it works /it's abusive" opinions - not that I mind them, it's just the emotional tone that everyone seems to need to take - and they are non-responsive to the original post. The responses, sans one, have not responded to the post. Sorry to have angered you by making the request in a dog forum, but perhaps you have a better idea as to where I might find the answer?

Again, I don't mind the discourse, but to imply that I'm the one that created the debate and emotional level, when my origianl post was clear is a bit unfair.

Can't we all just get along?

Doberluv

You can do your own research just as many of us have. But here's one of many well done articles. Herein also contains other recommended readings as well. There have been many studies done if you need them to realize that shocking a dog with electricity has the potential for serious fall out.

http://www.dogsportmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/The Problem With Shock.pdf

Here's something else:

Training dogs with help of the shock collar: short and long term behavioural effects. | Schilder, M. B. H., Borg, J. A. M. van der | Applied Animal Behaviour Science | Elsevier Science B.V.

I asked for research for a particular reason.
Since you are requesting others to do your research for you (you're welcome, by the way :) ), care to share that "particular reason"? Just checked your original post again, and it seems you did not mention any particular reason.

But did notice you entered "THE Dog Class" under your user name. Starting a new training class and/or facility, per chance? If so, it's surprising if you did not already know that electronic shock collar usage is a rather controversial topic. I do not believe Adojrts was trying to insult you in any way ... it was more of a "what did you expect?" reply from a very experienced trainer.

You can do your own research just as many of us have. But here's one of many well done articles.
And here's another. ;)

http://www.4pawsu.com/IAABC_Ecollar.pdf

MarieG

THE Dog Class
Does that mean you're not going to answer mine? :(
Sigh. Yes, I'll answer, no problem. I had a customer who asked me the question regarding "research." Of course I knew of the controversy, and the pros and cons, and yes, I could have taken the time to have done my own research, looking through website after website of articles - most of which are not research papers yet are opinions - pro and con - or sales ads. But, I am new to this site, and figured, "I'll bet I get an answer pretty quickly from people here and save some time." Unfortunately I assumed that the forum was one that would be a bit more collegial (and congenial). It seems to be more like an angry mob at a healthcare meeting.

Yes, I assumed. We all know what that means. My bad. Jeez.

Oh relax, and quit taking everything so personally. This forum is very collegial, and quite congenial as well. No, we do not all agree with each other on every single thing. But most of us have fairly thick skins and for the most part can agree to disagree when needed. :)

(Provided there's no overt animal abuse, of course.)

HOWEVER ... had you lurked here for a bit (or did a forum search) before posting, you may have seen that there's very good reason here to be a tad bit suspect of a new member who's very first post somewhat clandestinely inquires regarding a heavily controversial topic.

Wecome to Chaz, BTW.

adojrts

I can post such a request expecting it not to turn into one because I asked a specific question for studies - not for individual's opinion. In fact, if you review the original post, I even wrote: "Not just anecdotal reviews (or "In my opinion)."

I asked for research for a particular reason. I didn't expect the old "it works /it's abusive" opinions - not that I mind them, it's just the emotional tone that everyone seems to need to take - and they are non-responsive to the original post. The responses, sans one, have not responded to the post. Sorry to have angered you by making the request in a dog forum, but perhaps you have a better idea as to where I might find the answer?

Again, I don't mind the discourse, but to imply that I'm the one that created the debate and emotional level, when my origianl post was clear is a bit unfair.

Can't we all just get along?
Nor did I give an opinion as you had requested, just provided a link.

Doberluv

As far as the referrences being nothing more than "opinions," and not research "papers," do check the references, (not just here, but wherever you find things) who wrote them, where the research that went into these opinions has it's source. Many of the references come from studies done by esteemed universities like Purdue, heads of behavior departments, well respected science and behavior journals, behaviorists with advanced degrees and so on.

You will always find a member on most any forum who will habitually fall back on the only answer available to him...that is....to consistently and invariably poo poo any study, well done or not in order to make it appear that his own opinion has equal or better validity. Don't let yourself be swayed by such transparent attempts to reduce the good information coming from reliable sources.

Doberluv

Oh....and regarding getting side tracked away from the instructions given by the orignial poster of a thread, that's typical. LOL. We hardly ever do what we're told here. It's useless to keep this bunch completely and absolutely "on topic.":rofl1:

Hope you stick around nevertheless.;)

You will always find a member on most any forum who will habitually fall back on the only answer available to him...that is....to consistently and invariably poo poo any study, well done or not in order to make it appear that his own opinion has equal or better validity. Don't let yourself be swayed by such transparent attempts to reduce the good information coming from reliable sources.
Since I'm sure this is directed at me I'll address it. The first link, is not good information coming from a reliable source. It's biased and reaching.

It's findings have nothing to do with ecollars or no ecollars. it is the variable they chose to look at and cite as the reason for what their biased eyes observed.

You see, as a scientist, or someone that really reads and understands it, picks up on these things in studies.

First off a good reliable study, the people offering the subjective (right off the bat this isn't considered "good" data for an experiement, but I digress) opinions for data would be blinded. they wouldn't be able to observe which group was trained with shock and which ones weren't. This would be done to limit the bias.

This wasn't done, the bias of the Experimenters was free to influence their observations and their findings. Reason number one, and a pretty big reason this study is not a good one.

Another reason, it has a pretty small sample size

another reason, the differences in frequency that they subjectively thru biased eyes, concluded showed more stress behaviors in ecollar trained dogs vs controls are not statistically significant in most cases. If this was a study to get an approval for a new medication it would be tossed, and that's saying something when a drug like claritin that performed really no better than a water pill can get approval you know the bar isn't set very high. But that's another debate.

Another reason this study isn't really valid is that it even attempt to address why there was on average one more tongue flick during the back transport for ecollared dogs vs, non. It doesn't address the dogs backgrounds. Lots of handlers I know that use an ecollar on dogs, are often times used on dogs that have gone thru multiple handlers with poor results were immune to any other type of correction and the ecollar was used.

Sometimes ecollars are used first for training by certain types of trainers.
You know, the ones that kick ass and take names, the ones that need results today, methods be damned. The ones that kick their dogs ass for not sitting fast enough. Now the ecollar has nothing to do with that. They'll end up with stressed out dogs no matter what they're using to train their dog with. They could go leash and collarless and still have stressed out dogs, but this study doesn't account or even consider that.

It doesn't because these "esteemed" researchers like their bias and though they try to veil it thru shoddy "science" anyone with an eye for science literature can see right thru it.

There' many other reasons this study is not valid, none of which have anything to do with me want to poo poo on anything, but I have to get off of here for a bit. maybe I'll get into more later.

adojrts

Since I'm sure this is directed at me I'll address it. The first link, is not good information coming from a reliable source. It's biased and reaching.

It's findings have nothing to do with ecollars or no ecollars. it is the variable they chose to look at and cite as the reason for what their biased eyes observed.

You see, as a scientist, or someone that really reads and understands it, picks up on these things in studies.

First off a good reliable study, the people offering the subjective (right off the bat this isn't considered "good" data for an experiement, but I digress) opinions for data would be blinded. they wouldn't be able to observe which group was trained with shock and which ones weren't. This would be done to limit the bias.

This wasn't done, the bias of the Experimenters was free to influence their observations and their findings. Reason number one, and a pretty big reason this study is not a good one.

Another reason, it has a pretty small sample size

another reason, the differences in frequency that they subjectively thru biased eyes, concluded showed more stress behaviors in ecollar trained dogs vs controls are not statistically significant in most cases. If this was a study to get an approval for a new medication it would be tossed, and that's saying something when a drug like claritin that performed really no better than a water pill can get approval you know the bar isn't set very high. But that's another debate.

Another reason this study isn't really valid is that it even attempt to address why there was on average one more tongue flick during the back transport for ecollared dogs vs, non. It doesn't address the dogs backgrounds. Lots of handlers I know that use an ecollar on dogs, are often times used on dogs that have gone thru multiple handlers with poor results were immune to any other type of correction and the ecollar was used.

Sometimes ecollars are used first for training by certain types of trainers.
You know, the ones that kick ass and take names, the ones that need results today, methods be damned. The ones that kick their dogs ass for not sitting fast enough. Now the ecollar has nothing to do with that. They'll end up with stressed out dogs no matter what they're using to train their dog with. They could go leash and collarless and still have stressed out dogs, but this study doesn't account or even consider that.

It doesn't because these "esteemed" researchers like their bias and though they try to veil it thru shoddy "science" anyone with an eye for science literature can see right thru it.

There' many other reasons this study is not valid, none of which have anything to do with me want to poo poo on anything, but I have to get off of here for a bit. maybe I'll get into more later.
Excellent, you made some very valid points and given that information certainly gives me another perspective on why that study is bias.

Thanks, this is some of what I was looking for.

Members online

No members online now.