Wy do people breed? whats the point of breeding?

adojrts

The exception to that is with rare breeds. Without websites, it would be extremely difficult to locate a rare breed breeder!
I agree, most rep. breeders have websites and they list all the Titles, pedigree's and health clearences for all to see, nothing wrong with that. Along with planned breedings for the future and results of past breedings.

We all know of people on and off line that claim to have shown, worked and won/Titled and done health clearences on their dogs but when push comes to shove, that can't back it up and prove it.

That is the beauty of the net, people if so inclined can find out info when breeders don't prove it and it can be done quickly instead of waiting days or weeks for a reply from an association, club, or registry.

Dekka

Just try me..
I never buy anything at any shop that sells puppies ! Also , beware of on line selling !!! Good breeders don't need to advertise selling puppies .
But why? What is wrong with breeders trying to reach the people who might turn to BYB and millers. Not saying they will sell to these people, but what is wrong with it? Many great breeders advertise in publications like Dogs in Canada.

I guess I am a bad breeder then :( I have advertised. I found one great family who didn't know where to find a good breeder (I turned away dozens of horrid owners but helped educate a few). I now have a great little girl living with a fabulous home. Why is it bad to advertise? Why does it matter how the people find the breeder? As long as the screening process is good. One of the most disastrous puppy buyers was word of mouth.

S

Squishy22

I've always heard that only BYBs advertise, but I never understood why. I dont understand why its so bad.

bubbatd

Things do change I guess . I personally feel that rare breeds would not need to be advertised ....unless they have many litters .... and these I would stay away from . Would be fine with me if they had wating lists , but not available pups .

Dekka

Just try me..
Things do change I guess . I personally feel that rare breeds would not need to be advertised ....unless they have many litters .... and these I would stay away from . Would be fine with me if they had wating lists , but not available pups .
BUT WHY is it wrong to advertise how great your dogs are? To showcase their titles? WHY is it wrong to try to reach the people who don't know where or how to find a great breeder.

I have to say I have never understood why its ok to make it easier for JQ public to find a BYB than a good breeder.

BUT WHY is it wrong to advertise how great your dogs are? To showcase their titles? WHY is it wrong to try to reach the people who don't know where or how to find a great breeder.

I have to say I have never understood why its ok to make it easier for JQ public to find a BYB than a good breeder.
It's not wrong to advertise ... but the answer as to why people think it's wrong is in a previous post:
I've always heard that only BYBs advertise, but I never understood why. I dont understand why its so bad.
Pretty much everybody's heard that at one time or another. There is still advice in articles and books that says "good breeders never need to advertise". The traditional advice just hasn't caught up yet.

Personally I'm all for new ways to get the word out to the general public ... if only for education than anything else. Many more people now know better than to get pet-store puppies ... at least more than once did. As more good breeders get web sites and place ads about what they do, along with contact information, then even more people can at least know what to ASK a breeder. Like, "Do you health test?"

bubbatd

OK .....my last statement . Line bragging is fine !!! Had I had internet years ago , I sure would have been there ! But not to sell puppies .

adojrts

Actually I am more than a little confused, I very clearly recall a post of your's about a year or two ago, when you stated that by todays standards that you were a byb. That you didn't do genetic testing and didn't show, that you only bred for the pet market. Those are your words not mine.
So now you state that good breeders don't advertise, but its ok if your a byb and you sell pups by word of mouth??
:confused:

Without a breed club, and until recently, without any major events we could show in or titles we could achieve, how on earth do you expect the rare breed people TO let people know about their dogs? Telepathy!?

It's not so much advertising as it is educating and enabling people who are seriously interested in these breeds FIND them.

I'd never have found Filas had it not been for the breeders' websites.

mom2dogs

bubbatd said:
If a breeder health tests; plans carefully; has the time, energy, space, and money to breed, whelp, and rear puppies... in simple terms "very, very ethical".... who gives a rats ass if they advertise or have a puppy or puppies for sale even when they are older? You would be ruling out A LOT of good breeders just because they have available puppies. It's not like these breeders have a paypal button underneath the pictures or anything. Sometimes these dogs are ones the breeder wanted to keep for themselves and are now offering for sale, or something happens to a buyer.

Dekka said:
I use to read Dog Fancy and similar publications... and I would flip straight to the breeders section, I know a lot of people who say they found their breeder in a magazine. Now imagine if more good breeders would advertise their kennel and got the word out. I wish advertising wasn't looked at with such taboo.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I'm all for good breeders advertising, advertising anywhere and everywhere. Why not? Its makes the public see them at more "their level" and not "pure breed snobs" and it makes ethical breeders just as acessible as BYB's.
A good breeder will screen carefully no matter where the enquiries come from.

Sure a good breeder may not have to advertise, but maybe just by advertising you could actually be helping your breed.

adojrts

A good breeder will screen carefully no matter where the enquiries come from.

Sure a good breeder may not have to advertise, but maybe just by advertising you could actually be helping your breed.
This is an excellent point, I know when I have done advertising in the past, it isn't unusual to receive 100 + phone calls.
10% of those calls are PROMISING & worth looking into further, the rest are typically not suitable for my breed for many different reasons. By educating these people and even helping them find breeder of another breed, everyone is happy.

Personally I feel that we should be responsible not only to our breed of choice, but to dogs in general and to JQP. It shouldn't be about selling puppies but be about helping people find the RIGHT breed for them whether it be from a rescue or rep. breeder. You don't have to hold their hand but at the very least point them in the right direction with a bit more education and with an offer for continued help if they get stuck.

Members online

No members online now.