Miniture horse bucking me off - how can i stop it

mrose_s

BusterLove
bugger it, we didnt go, we'll have to do it on saturday o somehting, because m going for a mini holiday today LOL YAY

Hey Darkchild... anyway I can help a horse that was hurt when she was younger? you see we had 2 horses that we had to help and her former owner said that when they were young They tried to rope her but she got hurt and now shes finiky about males (it was a male who did alot of rough treatment to her) and being tied. Please help me because she already hurt her leg twice while being tied and she could seriouly hurt herself next time.

darkchild16

We are Home.
ive never had that problem so im just thinking of how i would try and fix it.

but a couple times just tie her with you standing there soothing her brushing petting etc. then slowly back up a little at a time keeping her tied longer each time. and work on that till she doesnt freak out but never leave her unsupervised where she can get hurt also post about it on the forum others may have experienced this

I have never dealt with miniture hores but I figure you would treat him/her just like you would with any other, keeping in mind the size difference. It may very well be a wieght thing. That's what it was with my shetland. My dad weight too much.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Angelbrite said:
They tried to rope her but she got hurt and now shes finiky about males (it was a male who did alot of rough treatment to her) and being tied.
My Shettie Lala is very funny around men! She has been abused! If you can try to be the only person who visits her, give her treats and talk to her, try not to make any sudden or sharp movements. I would halter her but not tie her up just let the rope sit on the ground while you feed her treats and pat her, do this every day for a couple of weeks and then you can start tying her up very loosely (just loop her rope through some baler twine so she can pull free at any time) and feed her treats etc. Eventually she should stand quietly for you. Always tie her to some twine / string and never straight to a ring or a wooden post! Because the string will snap if she's in a panic and she will be freed unharmed!

Remember to talk to her calmly as your voice can really help with nervy horses.

mrose_s

BusterLove
god i hate it when animals are abused, particulariyly horses, they are so flighty it takes a lot to trust humans anyway. then we screw it up...

Angelbrite

Well I can't really stand beside her cause she backs up and moves away and she once paniced when she coulde'nt get away. she's fine with the other horse (The other horses name is Corky!) and Corky will alow me up on her back and drape myself on her. Blazer is a sweet horse but I've heard her breed is kinda High-strung (Shes 1/2 Tennesee walker and 1/2 arabian.)

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Angelbrite said:
Well I can't really stand beside her cause she backs up and moves away
In that case start by offering treats to her at arms length, it won't be long before she'll let you near her!! Trust me!! Talk to her in a calm voice, the more you talk to her the better!!

mrose_s

BusterLove
yeah, i was reading a book, and a woman was photographing wild horses and the stallion found her. she talked to him calmly and she reckons that it calmed him down otherwise he would have injured or even killed her.

Blazer belongs to my Sister and she won't let me work with her...I think blazer is starting to become wild. she only comes up to people at graining time and even then she runs when touched. My mom can pat her but My sister can be ressitant of people who try to help with blazer.

Y

yuckaduck

Ok here's my advice and I only read abit so not all details are clear to me.
1] pony have short backs so if you are to big for the pony and sit to far back your weight will be on the ponies kidneys, this hurts and sometimes they buck. This why most people don't allow people to ride double on there horses.
2]if the pony learns that I buck you off you go away then pony will never stop. Most pony's tend to be lazy by nature.
3] Teach pony that whoa means whoa and use it for mounting. Pony not allowed to move when you get on. Grab your left rein short and allow pony to turn in left circles so towards you until pony is prepared to stand nicely for you to get on. Don't panic or get frustrated just calmly allow pony to turn in circles until prepared to stand for you.
4]If bucking startes when you are on the pony remember pull pony's head up, harder to buck and a pony who is moving forward cannot buck. Another words don't allow interruption in the forward movement because then pony can really buck hard.
5] private email me if this doesn't help and tell me exactly what is going on because this is the number one thing that I deal with. Everyone wants to know how to stop there horse or pony from bucking.

To be safe always ride with a riding helmet, to protect your head just in case.

Y

yuckaduck

OC That's a good point too-how big is this pony and how big are you? Perhaps you are simply to big for her. Sorry not trying to insult or anything but I can't ride a pony, I'd break the poor things back.

Members online

No members online now.