That time of year...but I need help

bogolove

Well, everyone, it is that time of year. Time for Brady to be shaved so he does not get so hot with all that hair of his. (I am leaving the fur on the tail though, I just can't lose that gorgeous tail to a skinny no fur tail).

But where should I have it done? Who do you trust to cut your dog's hair? How do I know who is good and who is not? Help!

Also, How much is a reasonable price for getting an 80 pound dog shaved?

I don't shave my dogs, but my neighbors shave their GSD mix. The leave just a teensy bit of hair (he's a long-haired dog). He looks adorable that way :).

Ash47

Taco Dog
For an 80lb dog, you should get charged no more than 50$. Leave the tail, and maybe a little on the face. Take him to a groomer. Some of the ones I see leaving work, I work at a vet, look a mess. The Dr. lets some of the techs shave the dogs, and they just look no good.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh Brady shaved! Have you done it before? I thought I read it's better to leave them with the hair on since it shades their skin from the sun.

bogolove

Well, that is really what I meant, sorry, I should have been more specific. I have had him clipped before last year, but they did it at Petsmart and charge me $80.00 and I thought that was a lot of money for it. And he did not weigh 80 pounds last year, he only weighed around 60 when we had it done. Maybe 55.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Glad to hear you meant clipped and not shaved. I'd hate to see Brady shaved; he might run to Max for comfort.

bogolove

LOL! He probably would! I met a husky once owned by an aquaintance, and they had just shaved him for the summer as the summers is Tennessee are quite hot and humid. I mean they had cut his hair so short, and I felt so bad for him, because the dog WAS embarrassed, you could tell. Well, any of us dog lovers could tell, but I don't know if the owners could tell or not. They were having a party, and I spent most of my time with the dogs, as I tend to do at parties with people and animals. I tend to find animals more sociable.

I'm not sure where you can get it done. Have you considered doing it yourself? I trimmed Boomers hair last summer and it looked fine but it didn't help much. This year I'm going to keep his hair and just let him swim a lot and always be inside when he's dry. Vegas is WAY too hot to keep dogs outside except at night and even at night its pushing it. Ugh I'm dreading the 120 degree days and 110 degree nights.

-Jon

bogolove

I thought about that, but I didn't know if he would hold still for me to get everywhere. I could get Liz to help me hold him, she is good at that sort of stuff. Hubby is not so good. Brady had a tick on him last night and I kept telling Matt to hold Brady and Brady's whole back end was all over the place, which is where the tick was so I could not get a hold of it, and with all of that fur I kept losing where it was. Finally I thought I had a good hold of it and I stripped the whole outside of the tick off but left the insides. I had to wait a while and when Brady was chewing on a bone, I held him down (mostly just pet and distracted him) while Matt pulled the rest out. That sucker was in there good, but we finally got him out.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh poor Brady. Sorry to hear what you had to go through to get the tick out. Give him a hug from me.

bogolove

I know, his little spot was bleeding and you could tell he was annoyed by us, but being ever so patient. My sweet boy.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Poor Victor says he is insulted..his hair is so short.even more than mary and she is like a sheen of satin.just as shiney too!.that it is the equivalent to being shaved.(he says) and he dries as quickly as a human does after his bath...he wants you all to know that even if you are they way he is, you are beautiful!!!!! :p

Members online

No members online now.