Summer advice- what would you do?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So this dog is determined to be the death of me.

Recap:

- Friday she was fine until about 11 pm when she was screaming at the touch and shivering all day long.
- Saturday morning- went to the vets and they decided they thought it was a pulled muscle in her neck. They gave me muscle relaxers and pain medication and said she should be looking better by monday but fully better by a week.
- Monday- Summer is fine and almost 100% of her usual self. She's eating and drinking, being active. Monday night she sounds congested so I gave her a dose of her allergy medicine.
- Tuesday morning Summer throws up. Tuesday during the morning she has a mess of diarrhea and puke that I clean up at lunch. I get her to eat some Ziwipeak but she is refusing her food.
- Tuesday afternoon she gets sick again (pure liquid stools).
- Tuesday night she is refusing dinner but does take some Ziwipeak. she is not going crazy for it like usual.
- Wednesday morning she is alert and active right after waking up but she refuses food- including ziwipeak. She is drinking. No throwing up or soft stools this time.

She hasn't been acting painful at all like she was Friday. I am wondering if it's just been too much medicine and it's upset her stomach? The longer she is off food, the more I worry.

What would you do?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
She did grab a bully stick to chew this morning and is trying to keep Mia away from it.

The muscle relaxers said she may be drowsy. I wonder if that is affecting her appetite. I'm thinking about taking her in in the next day or two if she doesn't start eating.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
How is she about meals normally?

I mean if any one of my dogs refused food that long I'd already be in to the vet, but then my dogs are meal time enthusiasts who have never willingly missed a meal in their lives, regardless of circumstance. But I realize not all dog are like that.

It depends on the individual dog. When Maisy or Pip have an episode of vomiting and/or diarrhea, it's not unusual at all for them to refuse food for a day or two. If Squash doesn't eat for any reason, I know the apocalypse is nigh.

Assuming it's Maisy or Pip... if everything else is back to normal (not painful/screaming, active/not lethargic, not ongoing vomiting/diarrhea), I would personally ride it out for another day or two unless other things changed. A few days without food is not going to harm an otherwise healthy dog. I might try cooking up a little ground meat and potatoes or rice and offering that.

BUT you know Summer, so you have to trust your gut about her. It's never a bad idea to at least call your vet and explain what's going on and ask for advice.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer is somewhat of a finicky eater. She doesn't like canned food or raw at all. When I got her she'd go days without food. Nowadays she usually gobbles up her kibble fast but there are a few times she skips her meals. Not usually this long and she usually goes bonkers for ziwipeak. But she does have a history of not eating when her tummy hurts.

I think I will see what she does tonight and then call in tomorrow if I need to. I'm really starting to worry about her though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well this evening she ate a whole meal with gusto and was being her wild self. It seems like it is mirroring her taking the muscle relaxers- the further we get from her last being dosed, the more appetite she has.

Dekka

Just try me..
Due to her size I would be more worried than if she was a large dog.

What about those pastes for dogs/puppies when they are sick stressed? If she doesn't eat you could give her a small amount of that just to keep some nutrition into her.

I might take her back to the vet. Scandal did something similar (with not eating) and they took some sort of an image (I want to say xray..) that showed part of GI was inflamed and they gave her meds to calm that down. Then she went back to eating with gusto.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
She also decided to jump off the bed and helped once so we're going to go back in.

I am getting a few pieces of ziwipeak down her so I'm not too worried about not getting any nutririon. Last night she ate a full bowl of kibble so thats good. I jut don't like the not jumping like she usually does and not a very good appetite.

JacksonsMom

Aw, man. I hate when they do things like this, lol. Poor Summer.

If she's having GI problems, honestly I'm not sure I'd be letting her have bully sticks and ziwipeak even if it's just a little bit. Ziwi is pretty high in fat and 'rich' and I've seen a lot of yorkies have problems with the food, but I know they're prone to pancreatitis as it is, so may be different for a different breed. But it probably won't help things out as far her GI system goes if it's already out of whack.

Could you do something bland, like a chicken/rice diet for a day or two? Or will she not really eat that even?

Good luck tomorrow, sending ((Good Vibes))

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I do have science diet ID... not great but usually does well enough for a bland diet.

She is confusing me. she skipped food this morning and was acting sad this morning but then now she's being goofy rolling all over the floor. I know for my peace of mind it will be good to get her in tomorrow although I have a feeling they'll tell me she looks fine. *Sigh*

So far no gastro issues since Tuesday though.

Oh, I'm so sorry, I wonder what is up with little Summer...best of luck with your vet appointment! Hope she comes home with all gauges in the green :)

Members online

No members online now.