Ever go through phases?

JacksonsMom

Anyone else go through phases where they are really into dog stuff for a while, and then kinda fade out, and then go back, etc? If that makes sense.

I've been really indifferent lately.... I used to do training sessions with him almost every night (even if it was only for 10-15 mins), I used to make youtube videos of him all the time (feat. his tricks, and just whatever, all edited and dubbed with music), and I've even been a bit blah about agility. His class ended last night and I'm not doing another for a bit, partially because $150 every 6 weeks isn't feasible right now, but I also just find myself not feeling like going certain nights, even though we both always have fun once we get there and it is awesome to see him really thriving.

It's even been too cold and windy to do much outside (for my sake). We actually prefer the cold, but the cold wind is what is killer. Makes it impossible to do much out there.

But I am positive that by late spring, I'll be itching to get back into agility, and try new things like dock diving and nose work. But lately I've been content to be home with him, and doing much of nothing, LOL. Maybe it's just because we're getting closer to spring and have a winter slum going on. He's been okay with it surprisingly, for the most part. But he can only go so many days of being in the house, so we have to do something, or even a pet store visit etc. And I'm getting a feel of just being a regular ole' dog owner, hahaha... where, ya know, you feed them, play a little bit in the house, potty breaks, occasional walks. No dog sports, and that sort of thing.

Or maybe it's because he's 4 now, and we've been doing basically the same things for 4 years, and he knows so many tricks, etc, it's all just repetitive. It's not that I don't have fun with him anymore at all - he's still so willing to learn, and excited to do so, and loves being active outside, etc, I guess I've just been lazy :p

Lol, but I didn't know if anyone else goes through these kinds of phases. Where you do a bunch of dog stuff all the time, and then you kinda just... put it on the back burner. I'm sure I'll start again (being obsessed with looking at collars and supplies for him, getting into more dog sports, finding more new places to take him and travel with, all that stuff).

Taqroy

Me! I don't get the option to quit doing everything though...I think my dogs would stage a rebellion and overthrow us if I did. I will go to one a week training sessions and slack off on running them as much as possible (which is still every other day for Tipper and every third day for Mu). I think the fact that I can only have one of them in class at a time helps keep me from burning out. For the four week period that all three of them were in classes I almost lost my mind - and I got super burnt out and had to take a month off afterwards.

I have to say though - we've been running the girls a lot due to Mu's snarky attitude and it's SO NICE. They both settle down in the evenings and Tipper actually sleeps! While we're awake! And doing things! I told Matt yesterday that this must be what it's like to have normal dogs. :rofl1:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Oh I do all the time. Buy all the things, do all the things for a little bit. Sometimes now its like...I don't even want to talk about dogs outside of work lol. I don't care to look anything up or try new products. Its cold so we don't do much. I'm just maintaining our current status lol. The trick of the weeks we have, I was so excited at first and so committed to at least trying them all. But that excitement lasted all of 3 weeks maybe?

Like you, after winter I know I'll get into it again. But right now they're just couch warmers and its easy to stop caring about dog stuff when we aren't doing anything.

That all being said, I still am not very above average even when I'm "on" lol.

Saeleofu

Winter is just a killer for everything. I work Logan every single day since he goes pretty much everywhere with me. But extra things in the winter just don't happen. This time of year, though, the dog show season in my area is starting up soon, so it's time to prepare for those.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
All the time. Which is sad because Merlin is a puppy lol

Merlin has weeks where he goes everywhere, a new adventure everyday, training for all his meal times.. we are just ON.

Lately with work and school and crappy weather. We are totally in "maintenance mode"..
I have days where school and work just suck it all out of me and I just can't handle anything.

He gets fed in the morning, potty break, I go to work/school, he goes to the dog park to tire him out and then I bring him home and just...vegetate.

I feel so bad using the dog park as such an outlet but things have been so stressful and it just..works. He goes crazy there for an hour or two and is fine for the evening.

chaospony

Me.
I blame Winter too. Nowhere to go, no desire to train anything, even the stuff that needs fixing. The new guy has had almost no training in the 3 months I've had him, apart from house training :yikes:
I've taken all the "This is my dog standing in the backyard in the snow" pictures I could possibly take so the camera is gathering dust too.

I keep telling myself soon there will be no cold windy days and no icy salted sidewalks and the happy fun times can begin again.....but soon seems really far away!

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I was just thinking about this today... the sidewalks are complete slush and Cali has balls of snow matted on her legs within minutes, so we've been sticking to indoor activities and I've felt pretty bad. We did go on a walk today, but my feet were soaked and she hated all the slush more than I did.

I'm excited for spring though since we're going to enroll in a training class (leaning towards flyball) and we'll be able to go on hikes again and just enjoy being outdoors.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Sort of. I can only slack so much before Mia is impossible to live with. Lately we've been 'slacking' some. Haven't gone out in 3 days really, just played ball and did stuff in the yard. It's been slush and nasty outside.

But... still went to nosework last night. Have agility tomorrow. Been hiking every day off.

Mia's ok with me slacking a couple days a week but she really gets bad after that.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Honestly, not really. Our focus changes...once a year we go through a month or so of no agility at all to give the dogs a total mental and physical break but that's not really the same thing as it has a purpose...We end up forced to go through phases on some activities based on a season...we don't exactly get a lot of lake time this part of the year...but really the phases I go revolve more around how much I talk about it lol. Sometimes I'm gung-hu on getting lots of video, talking about every aspect of what's going on, etc...while other times I just do and don't really share outside of people I'm actually physically training along side. *shrug* not really sure why that is.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mine too. 115 every day for a few weeks? Yeah we don't do much.

I do go through times I don't feel much like taking pictures and then months where I want to take pictures every outing.

JacksonsMom

Mine too. 115 every day for a few weeks? Yeah we don't do much.

I do go through times I don't feel much like taking pictures and then months where I want to take pictures every outing.
Yeah that's the thing, I can't seem to win. Jackson refuses to do much outside if it's above 85F. Unless it involves the pool! So I spend a lot of days at my dads in the summer, so he can swim all day long and get exhausted. Which is nice. But otherwise, we're screwed in the summer too.

So, really, spring and fall are the only time we get a LOT of outdoor exercise time and actually enjoy it, lol. I like winter and don't mind cold temps, but when it's so **** windy, it's just... ugh

Oh, and I go thru the picture phases too. Sometimes I take a bagillion within a few days. Then I'll go months.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
The deepest part of winter, now, is a killer for me. The past two weeks, I've literally stayed outside no longer than I absolutely have to. Thankfully, DH doesn't mind the cold, and loves to take the dogs plowing with him and out squirrel hunting and everything, so they don't really take a hit. But, I've been majorly unmotivated to do anything with them.

I have Nosework on Thursdays and I normally try to practice at least three times a week. This past week I didn't practice at all, partially because I was gone for three days.

I just want Spring and hiking, and swimming, and lakes, and warm horseback rides, and kayaking, and WARM.

Lyzelle

I go through phases with dog people/community more than dog things. I'm always interested in nutrition, training, fun tricks, walks, videos, and photography. But if I'm not active in any of those things, it's usually not a lack of interest... just a lack of time or desire to get involved in the community.

Katem

With things such as trick training and such? Absolutely. There were stretches of time where I would work on new tricks several times a day. Lately we've taken a break from tricks. I've also put off 2x2s because we were getting a little stuck and then snow came and it got cold and I just don't have the room to set up that many poles in the house. On a related it's-too-****-cold/slushy/icy out note, I haven't taken Pig biking in months and it's been a while since we've played frisbee.

I never slack off on classes though. I spend the whole week looking forward to agility class. Exercise is another one I can't put off. Well, Bear isn't really an issue, he's happy with whatever. Pig would be an unholy terror if she didn't have some sort of outlet to get her crazies out though.

My biggest thing is dog stuff phases. I might go on a spree and buy new collars, leashes, toys, coats, just so much crap that I really don't 'need'. Then I could go months without buying a thing, so it all balances out. At least that what I tell myself :rofl1:

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I live eat and breathe dogs, and since I have a kennel full of dogs who depend on me for daily care, I don't really get the option of slacking off. As far as Cara goes, if I don't give her enough daily stimulation through training, off leash running, etc she's miserable to live with. :eek:

k9krazee

I spend 60 hours a week with people, stress and tough situations.

I love and enjoy every dog opportunity I get! I don't really have the time to keep up on the latest trends and fads, but that's what I'm here for ;) I'm so thankful that Crossbone is such a needy, in your face dog that craves activity and being involved. It would be so easy to come home & collapse on the couch after a super long day and just veg if he wasn't here.

Sometimes I slack on the training and stuff and then I go through phases that I want him to know all the things and forget to practice stuff he knows. I'll go days in a row having him work for his food and other days its so much easier to dump the food in his bowl.

I am not wait for warmer weather, camping, hiking, outdoor agility, etc!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.