Need treat suggestions

Vylula

Yeah, its me again...my puppy has puppy issues...LOL.

She doesn't like most treats anymore! When I got her to go potty outside last night she couldn't have cared less about the yummy treat I gave her and it used to be her favorite. I had to jump up and down wildly and give her lots of praise to show her she did a good job. My neighbors were peering out the window at me like I had two heads.

I do know that she will only eat soft treats but right now, nothing is satisfying her. Could I be feeding her too much at meal times? She won't even take hotdogs as a treat and she loved those a month ago!

Anyone know of some surefire soft treats that any dog will take?

Vy

I had the same problem with my dog as a puppy, she showed no interest in ANY treats!

We used cheese, while training.

The KRAFT singles were her favorite and they were so soft she ate them right down.

If she is showing NO interest in anything even yummy "people" food, she may just not be hungry.

Your other option is to keep jumping around, when your neighbors call the mental health facilities, you can give them my name Ill vouch for you that your not crazy:D I know how you feel!

Elissa

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
We use a salmon treat that is quite soft, really smelly, and relatively inexpensive.

Put two cans of salmon, three eggs, and about a half cup of vegetable oil in a blender, mix it - dump it into a bowl and garlic powder and add flour (about two cups) until it's the consistency of bread dough, spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 C for about 20 minutes, then cut into tiny pieces. :) Our dogs go nutters for them.

RD

Are you dead yet?
My dogs won't take treats if they're not hungry. If I'm going to be doing a lot of training with them one day, I don't feed them in the morning and instead use their kibble from that meal as a low value reward. You wouldn't work for food either if you'd just come home from the all-you-can-eat buffet!

Toys are a good motivator too for most dogs, treats are just more convenient. If my dog doesn't want a treat, I'll give him a ball or sit down and cuddle him for a few minutes. If he does what I want, I do what he wants, and sometimes that's not food.

moxiegrl

Im lucky with Katie...she is everything motivated. She loves yummy treats, toys, and attention/praise. I can always find one of those :)

showpug

I like the Natural Balance roll food for treats. It's soft and smelly and dogs really like it, not to mention it's good for them as well.

michal

I find a certain treat that my dog goes crazy for and she usualy gets tired in less then a week so I spent lots of money on treats. Although, my dog likes turkey, so I put Turkey (not the bones), some soft treats, some other people food and mix it all up and she goes crazy for it.

sam

wow, I've never heard of a dog refusing a weiner before!
I guess anything high value can become low value if it gets over used and boring. My dogs used to be nuts for homemade liver treats and so i used them quite a bit andthey got a bit bored. I rotate Natural Balance roll, weiners, liver treats, Charlee bears, peanut butter treats etc

I've got this trick i do with to my dog.

Hold a treat in one of your two hands (don't show him/her which one it is).
Put your hands out infront of you.
He/She's gotta find which one of the hands the treat is in using his/her nose.
If he/she gets it right, he/she get the treat.

Note: don't clench your fist too tightly otherwise the smell of the treat can't get through.

My dog loves it!! :D

baineteo

Hi guys. Since it's the same topic, I'll just post my query here.

I'm also in need for some treats suggestions. However, mine is a slightly different scenario: As some of you know, I'm completely new to having dogs at home. While she's doing fine (although she goes crazy, chewing and running, before she needs to potty), we want to get treats fro her training.

When you guys talk about liver, peanut butter, cheese etc, what kind of liver is used, and how is it prepared? Or is it a kind of product that I've not heard of yet? What about cheese/peanut butter? Any human-consumable brand is good for our dogs, too?

Are there any points I should take note when I'm getting treats for my dog?

Members online

No members online now.