HELP!! Puppy vomiting and diarrhea

bluezano

I have a seven month old puppy. A few nights ago she had an accident in the house. The poop wasn't really firm, but it wasn't diarrhea either. She also threw up twice. The next day she acted like nothing was wrong and I assumed she had eaten something that didn't agree with her (the vomit was yellow and foamy, with pieces of bark in it). She seems to have a pretty sensitive stomach and when she eats something she isn't supposed to it usually comes out one way or another....

We were good for a couple of days and then loose stool in the night again with no change at all in her behavior, water intake, etc.

Last night vomiting and loose stool again, but no change in behavior, etc. This time the vomit was yellow foamy, but was also brown and smelled like poop.

Okay-so here is the kicker. I had been feeding her Pedigree Puppy and just started switching her to Nutro Natural Choice (this was the best food I could find in town- we have wal-mart, k-mart and one feed store)

Is this the food or should we go to the vet or any other ideas? When I was a kid we had a dog with an intestinal obstruction throw up poop, but he was also very lethargic, not eating, etc so not sure exactly what to do. Thinking maybe just go to the vet to be on the safe side....

pup-man

Permanent Troll
It's Vet time... I wouldn't recommend feeding either of the foods you mentioned as well. You mentioned a feed store, they SHOULD have something better :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I know in Humans vomit smelling like poo, along with other things, means or could mean a blocked/backed up intestine.

Vet ASAP!

bluezano

I kind of figured it was vet time, it is just weird how active and playful she still is...

With regard to the food, I live in a small Oregon town where a lot of people don't really consider what they are feeding their dogs. The feed store carries Iams, Science Diet and Nutro brands and that is it. There is only one aisle of dog food though....

People kind of think I am weird because my dogs ride inside the truck, stay inside the house and come to work with me. One lady couldn't believe I picked up after my dog when we went on a walk. I have lived here two years and only seen one other person taking their dog for a walk:rolleyes:

Any possibility that your dog has been eating her own stool or another dogs stool? Another possible reason for the brown poop smelling vomit....

Pam

bluezano

Update

We went to the vet yesterday. Since Mina was not vomiting or having diarrhea during the day, but was defecating, they did not feel that it was an obstruction since food was being digested and passing through. They hypothesized that she had diarrhea in the night and then probably ate some of it which she then threw up.

They think that she has a very sensitive stomach and switching her over to this new all natural food for sensitive stomachs was making her ill. So they recommended going back to the old food mixed with Hill's Prescription diet food and not letting her run around like a banshee right after she eats. We did that and no problems at all last night and nice firm stool this morning. I will continue to monitor her, but hopefully that was all it was. Thank goodness!

Members online

No members online now.