Best food chewies?

Lyzelle

Or your favorite food-related chewies. But I guess if it's your favorite it the best for you anyway, right? :p

But, yeah, that's basically the topic. I'm sort of looking for ideas to give Zander a chewie for traveling. He isn't into chewing toys, generally, so I'm looking for something edible and something that won't make a mess in my car.

I really like pizzle/bullysticks for general chewing, but I know he'd destroy them while traveling. And buying Petco out of their entirely too expensive pizzle chews doesn't sound very appealing.

I've always been interested in antlers, but I can't find any long enough for him. He'd swallow them whole.

Kongs sound nice, but I know stress/travel + filling/peanut butter is going to result in a blow out. Times like these I wish he had a stomach of steel.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
www.bestbullysticks.com has the BEST deals on really thick bully sticks! I bought a bunch of bully sticks for only $7/lb last week from BBS... that's like 30 in a pound! But, they're only 4-6 inches, so they might be too small for Zander. They have jumbo 9 inch bullies for like $2 each though. I also got a bag of 25 cow tracheas for $10! Zander will probably crunch right through them, but they're very healthy and safe. They have really big elk/moose antlers for way cheaper than you can get in any store. Himalayan chews are probably the longest-lasting, high value chew you can find (that's safe unlike bones)... I have had 2 of those for a year, and both of the dogs regularly chew on them. They also love to throw them against the wall. :confused: But they're very clean and safe!

You can fill a kong with canned food and his kibble and freeze it, to prevent an upset tummy. :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
All of my dogs LOVE Himalayan chews! Amazon has them for pretty cheap as well, and if you have Prime then you can get free 2 day shipping.

Lyzelle

I might have to look into two day shipping...We leave Friday, so it's sort of short notice! One of those things I just didn't think of until the last moment. :doh:

Thanks for all the awesome ideas. I didn't know this stuff existed online so cheap!

Canned food/kibble + Kong isn't a bad idea. I've been trying to figure out how I could keep him occupied with a Kong without having to deal with the mess of yogurt, stomach issues of peanut butter, we only have a cooler...:confused: But canned food is easy to store, will keep him interested in his food...we can prepare/freeze it at night when we rest up at a hotel and it can keep him occupied when we start out in the mornings. That's actually an awesome idea. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

JacksonsMom

We use canned food in kongs too and freeze it :) Usually stuff some kibble down there too. Works great, less messy than yogurt, and he won't eat PB lol. So it's perfect for us.

I second the frozen Kong suggestion!

You could do just kibble mixed with water (it sticks together better), just canned, kibble and canned combined, or throw in whatever other treats he seems to enjoy.

Its also probably cheaper, in the long run, then continuously giving bully sticks and whatnot.

Lyzelle

Well, when I went to Petco yesterday, the Kong's were nearly $30. And that wasn't counting anything I would put in it.

The really long bully stick was $13, so I picked that up. I also grabbed a cheapy bullystick chew that can keep him occupied long enough to settle him down, huge bag for around $13. Rounded it off with liver treats that were on sale for $3. All of that combined came to about $31. So I went with that. :p

Even though I would get repeated uses out of the Kong, I knew there was no guarantee he would take to it. And then I would be SOL with a wasted $30. Which could have been used on something he would take to, or a meal on the road.

It took me around 45 minutes in Petco going between two aisles for me to figure this out.
Lol.

I'll probably still pick up the Kong later on, though, maybe for the trip back. It would be nice to have something constantly on hand.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Another vote for canned food or wet kibble. Keeva gets lots of Kongs to protect my sanity and I was not feeling so good about her eating SO much peanut butter. I got high end canned food instead. It still comes out way cheaper than bully sticks and such, and lasts just as long if I freeze it overnight.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Well, when I went to Petco yesterday, the Kong's were nearly $30. And that wasn't counting anything I would put in it.
:eek: WTF??? I can SHIP you a Zander sized one from work for less than $30, all said and done. What's going on in Montana?!

JessLough

Love My Mutt

The really long bully stick was $13, so I picked that up. I also grabbed a cheapy bullystick chew that can keep him occupied long enough to settle him down, huge bag for around $13. Rounded it off with liver treats that were on sale for $3. All of that combined came to about $31. So I went with that. :p

Even though I would get repeated uses out of the Kong, I knew there was no guarantee he would take to it. And then I would be SOL with a wasted $30. Which could have been used on something he would take to, or a meal on the road.

It took me around 45 minutes in Petco going between two aisles for me to figure this out.
Lol.

I'll probably still pick up the Kong later on, though, maybe for the trip back. It would be nice to have something constantly on hand.
I have a kong for Rosey that she doesn't use, won't help for your road trip, but if you want it I can ship it to you if you PM your address. Assuming I can find it LOL

Lyzelle

I have a kong for Rosey that she doesn't use, won't help for your road trip, but if you want it I can ship it to you if you PM your address. Assuming I can find it LOL
Lol! If you do happen to find it, let me know and I'll PM my address. Thanks so much!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
There are lots of similar products that are wayyyy cheaper, and just as strong as kongs. Orbees, other planet dog stuffable toys, rhinos, etc! Kongs have bevome so popular and the price has reallyyyy gone up. Anything rubber with a hole that you can stuff and freeze works!

Members online

No members online now.