Giant Schnauzers

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Talk to me about Giant Schnauzers. I know they're not the same as a mini only bigger, they're cattle dogs apparently so they're drivey. According to the internet they are fairly good guard dogs as well and learn quickly. They're supposed to have a terrier temperament and need a lot of exercise (what dog doesn't though) but I don't know how much I trust the internet. I think they're gorgeous and am interested what, if anything, people here on Chaz know about them.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
my dad has a giant schnauzer. sorry! they only thing I can tell you is that she is big, slobbery, hyper, and gets on my last nerve.

LOL

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
My aunt and uncle have 2 :) they are the most kind, loyal and trained dogs ive met

right now they are older, about 8, so they are quite calm but Ive been told that when they were younger they required LOTS of exercise and training

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I grew up living near a Giant Schnauzer named Baron. Baron is the cause of my love affair with Giant Schnauzers. I would take one in a heartbeat. But I am a sucker for dogs with beards.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I've heard that you really have to watch the temperaments in the Giants, but the people who have them seem to really really love them and often have two.

DanL

Think German Shepherd but not quite as smart and not quite as willing to comply.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
So, they range from awesome enough to get tow of to terrier terrors it seems. I think I might look and see if I can meet a few before I form my own decision. Thanks for the input!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
There's an AAC judge here who has 2 adult giants, a new puppy giant and 2 adult minis.

I like her giant crew. Giants are on my possible future breeds list. Pretty sure I overheard in summer she got her puppy because it was goign to be too much for the owners on the waiting list. Guess they'd temperament tested and decided she had way too much drive and was too head strong for newbie giant owners.. Beautiful girl. Probably too much for me to handle too.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
In my experience... they are LOUD, and can be quite bossy and headstrong. But they are also loveable and amusing. :D Basically a 70 lb Mini Schnauzer!

lizzybeth727

I worked with a trainer who trained a giant schnauzer as a drug detection K-9. If I remember right, the dog was an awesome detection dog, but if there was a small critter anywhere in the vicinity.... well, they couldn't teach him not to chase the critter. So yeah, he was definately terrier-ish.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Do you think that the terrier obsession with small animals could be averted if they grew up from puppy hood with a cat? Also, would having a job, like herding, help calm that down too?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Do you think that the terrier obsession with small animals could be averted if they grew up from puppy hood with a cat? Also, would having a job, like herding, help calm that down too?
That would help alot, but a cat is alot diffrent that a rodent. I grew up around terriers and I know for a fact that you can train to leave you pets that are rodents or small animals alone. We have trained three so far, that leave our small pets alone. Also they can learn what the diffrents between what a rodent outside that they can kill is and between one that is inside and a pet.

They still have the drive and alot of training usually has to go into them. But I sure do love that terrier attitude!

A job might help to keep them occupied and whats not, just as an example. I live ona farm that has a huge gopher problem. Our westie was trained to hunt and kill them. That kept her occupied. We had guinea pigs, ferrets, birds ect aroung her inside the house and she never once went after them.

So yes I think if they have a job to do that would help!

Lolas Dad

I know someone who has a Giant Schnauzer that is a certified therapy dog. He is quite a gentle giant.

jones9012

I recently got a Giant Schnauzer and

I LOVE him! Best dog I've ever had! He's 9 mos old now and he is so sweet and smart and great with my malti-poo and my birds. He does have high energy and needs his daily romps at the dog park or bike ride around the neighborhood. They are not the breed for everyone though....do your research!

Alison

Amanda885

I have a mini..but i have a friend who had a giant one and it was super friendly, loyal, but pretty hyper, lol... jumping a lot... but like with any dog, it's trainable.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
A lot of it can be situational, too... my one plott came to us at 4 y/o and will tree my housecat outside, but inside she almost has a healthy... fear? hehe

I have two and will never be without one. They are a demanding breed. Smart dogs who are very willing to please. They must have a job and can pretty much do anything. If I had the time I'd do it all. Exercise and training are neccesary as with any other breed of dog.

My two are good with cats and my bird. However, they wouldn't think twice about going after a squirrel if given the chance.

Members online

No members online now.