Eye shapes

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Teach me about eye shapes - round, oval, almond, etc. What do different eye shapes look like? How does eye shape make a difference outside of aesthetics?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
well in terms of looks like

wowies have round eyes

cresties have almond shaped eyes.

in terms of different shaped eyes...

ive personally found that large round eyes dont do as well in bright glare, sunny is fine but they seem sensitive to light on days when the sun is out with snow on the ground...the cresties do much better with glare.

bubbatd

I love a Golden's soft almond eye . Unfortunately don't care for round " buggy " eyes . Chloe has pretty eyes !

adojrts

I can speak only about Jrt eyes, it is my understanding that round eyes are not desired because they get more damage and dirt in them when in the earth hunting. At least that is what I have been told by working terrier people. My dogs all have almond (desired) shaped eyes and I have never been out hunting with a round eyed terrier, so I can't say from personal experience if the eyes get more dirt in them or not........but I would expect its true considering the experience of those who told me.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
From ASCA standard
(B) EYES: Very expressive, showing attentiveness and intelligence. Clear, almond-shaped, and of moderate size, set a little obliquely, neither prominent nor sunken, with pupils dark, well-defined and perfectly positioned. Color is brown, blue, amber, or any variation or combination including flecks and marbling.
I think Sawyer has proper eyes.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Comparison of the Pembroke Welsh Corgi standard in UK, AKC and NZ.

http://www.welshcorgi.com/corgi/StndComp.html

UK Standard
EYES
Well set, round, medium size, brown, blending with colour of coat.

AKC Standard
EYES
Oval, medium in size, not round, nor protruding, nor deepset and piglike. Set somewhat obliquely. Variations of brown in harmony with coat color. Eye rims dark, preferably black. While dark eyes enhance the expression, true black eyes are most undesirable, as are yellow or bluish eyes.

NEW ZEALAND Standard
EYES
Well set, round, medium size, hazel in colour and blending with the colour of the coat.

Any thoughts on this?

Dekka

Just try me..
CP that strange.. they say not round.. and not other things..but don't specify what they DO want.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
CP that strange.. they say not round.. and not other things..but don't specify what they DO want.
Well, they do say "Oval".

Odd though that the other two say round.

What's even more odd, is that when I look at corgi breeders in NZ, the eyes don't look round to me, but the dogs have their conf CH's.

It sounds to me like almond would be preferable in a herding dog, so why would the UK and NZ want round? What's the benefit of round?

Romy

Taxiderpy
Well, they do say "Oval".

Odd though that the other two say round.

What's even more odd, is that when I look at corgi breeders in NZ, the eyes don't look round to me, but the dogs have their conf CH's.

It sounds to me like almond would be preferable in a herding dog, so why would the UK and NZ want round? What's the benefit of round?
Like Red pointed out on another thread, her dogs have rounder eyes than the standard calls for. Hers are confo CHs.

Eye shape, in the grand scheme of a dog's confo, is really only a point or two to deduct. If the rest of the dog is great, chances are they are going to finish. In AKC they only have to be better than the other dogs competing to get points. No dog is 100%, and IMO an out of standard eye shape is pretty minor in the scheme of a whole dog when you compare it to faults like flat feet, mangled shoulder assembly, weak rear, bad bite, etc.

That is weird about the corgi standards though. Personally, I'd go with the country of origin. Or see if there are any registries with a working standard and see what those say.

bubbatd

To me a dog's eye tells so much ! I love kind eyes to their souls and heart .

mom2dogs

To me a dog's eye tells so much ! I love kind eyes to their souls and heart .
In my breed (as well as in Scotties), a "mean face" is pretty to me ;)

This is what the standard says for Westies:
http://www.westieclubamerica.com/breed/standard.html said:
Expression-Piercing, inquisitive, pert. Eyes-Widely set apart, medium in size, almond shaped, dark brown in color, deep set, sharp and intelligent. Looking from under heavy eyebrows, they give a piercing look.

S

Squishy22

I love almond eyes in most breeds that permit it. Though I LOVE the perfectly round eye in chihuahuas. Some people say buggy looking, but I dont see it. Chihuahua eyes are NOT suppose to bulge out.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
As for me.. expressive almonds eyes are my preference :)

a HUGE turn off in a dog for me is bulgy eyes. the whole "squeeze that dog too hard and itll pop out" look just freaks me out! lol

S

Squishy22

As for me.. expressive almonds eyes are my preference :)

a HUGE turn off in a dog for me is bulgy eyes. the whole "squeeze that dog too hard and itll pop out" look just freaks me out! lol
Unfortunately I've seen many bostons with bulging and googly looking eyes. Sad, because they arent supposed to be that way.

Kayota

^Cute though, but yeah, I wouldn't buy a dog that looked like that. I once met a Chihuahua whose eyes bulges out so badly that if you touched her between the corner of her eye and her muzzle she'd whine and pull away. Dachshunds - almond eyes? I just looked at Sophie's and they look kind of almond-y to me.

Like Red pointed out on another thread, her dogs have rounder eyes than the standard calls for. Hers are confo CHs.

Eye shape, in the grand scheme of a dog's confo, is really only a point or two to deduct. If the rest of the dog is great, chances are they are going to finish. In AKC they only have to be better than the other dogs competing to get points. No dog is 100%, and IMO an out of standard eye shape is pretty minor in the scheme of a whole dog when you compare it to faults like flat feet, mangled shoulder assembly, weak rear, bad bite, etc.

As far as eyes go, it also depends on the breed. Expression is VERY important in the collie standard:

AKC Rough and Smooth Collie standard:

Eyes
Because of the combination of the flat skull, the arched eyebrows, the slight stop and the rounded muzzle, the foreface must be chiseled to form a receptacle for the eyes and they are necessarily placed obliquely to give them the required forward outlook. Except for the blue merles, they are required to be matched in color. They are almond-shaped, of medium size and never properly appear to be large or prominent. The color is dark and the eye does not show a yellow ring or a sufficiently prominent haw to affect the dog's expression. The eyes have a clear, bright appearance, expressing intelligent inquisitiveness, particularly when the ears are drawn up and the dog is on the alert. In blue merles, dark brown eyes are preferable, but either or both eyes may be merle or china in color without specific penalty. A large, round, full eye seriously detracts from the desired sweet expression. Eye faults are heavily penalized.

Expression
Expression is one of the most important points in considering the relative value of Collies. Expression, like the term character is difficult to define in words. It is not a fixed point as in color, weight or height and it is something the uninitiated can properly understand only by optical illustration. In general, however, it may be said to be the combined product of the shape and balance of the skull and muzzle, the placement, size, shape and color of the eye and the position, size and carriage of the ears. An expression that shows sullenness or which is suggestive of any other breed is entirely foreign. The Collie cannot be judged properly until its expression has been carefully evaluated.

That is weird about the corgi standards though. Personally, I'd go with the country of origin. Or see if there are any registries with a working standard and see what those say.

The European (FCI) Collie breed standard is a bit different than the AKC/CKC breed standard, however the FCI standard is far from the original, as the standard has been changed numerous times.

FIC standard has a height standard that is 2 inches shorter than AKC/CKC. Among other things. They also do not allow rough x smooth breedings in most European counties, they now consider them two separate breeds, which went into affect around 1994, where in North America they are 2 varieties of the same breed.. and interbred.

Members online

No members online now.