Okay fess up

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
what "people foods" do you share with your dogs?

So long as it's not toxic, covered in spices/seasoning, or super processed, I'll share with Sierra. She's sharing my sweet potato fries with me right now, and I gave her the tomato slice off my burger.

I'm not one who believes that people food is taboo for dogs, since she's raw fed and her staple diet is essentially "people food" anyways. Everything in moderation, in the form of a treat, I feel is just fine.

Pam111

Anything that isn't known to be bad for dogs. They love carrots. I don't give them large amounts of anything--I'm talking like a bite or a fry or something. If they aren't begging me or bothering me, they can have a bit.

xpaeanx

um... this is prob bad but McDonald hamburgers and Hotdogs.... and pretty much everything.

When I take Keeda on roadtrips, I dont' really pack food(for me or her)... so whatever I eat, she eats. I just order two meals...

Pam111

Oh, and once or twice a summer, I buy them a vanilla ice cream cone to share

A

Angel Chicken

I share with Kona all the time. Little bites of stuff here and there.

The most recent was Saturday, Rob, the boys, Kona, and myself went to Sonic for dinner and ice cream. Of course Kona didn't get a whole burger or anything for herself, but since she has been dieting for the past few weeks, I figured she deserved a treat, so I gave her like 3 tater tots, and got her a single scoop of vanilla ice cream to enjoy.

And going off topic for a second:

This was the first time Kona had actually been somewhere to eat with us, she did SO amazing! She was full of loves and wags for all the people around us, and the Sonic staff were just tickled pink with a well behaved dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
I share anything not toxic with who ever is around. LOL its still MY food even if I am sharing. I can hold food in my hands sitting on the couch, gesture with the food filled hand in front of my dogs and they won't touch it.

xpaeanx

I share anything not toxic with who ever is around. LOL its still MY food even if I am sharing. I can hold food in my hands sitting on the couch, gesture with the food filled hand in front of my dogs and they won't touch it.
Keeda was REALLY good at leaving food alone, then I let my brother watch her for about 8 months while I was in Europe... and he basically let her eat off his plate with him. So, it took me a LONG time to get her to stop begging... now she know's "mommy's food is mommy's," but she still tries to sneak one over on other people.... :rofl1:

CaliTerp07

Lucy's amazingly good with people food. She doesn't beg at all, though she loves to lay under the table, just because she wants to be close to people.

We'll give her scraps of meat AFTER dinner, and in her bowl, or pour the meat juice over her kibble.

I do. I honestly find nothing wrong with it, offcourse if its non toxic ect to them. I always put some veggies in his dinner. I will give him some fries, or the last bite or a burger ect. I figure he gets alot of excersise, he doesnt beg me, he will but I will teel him to "get" and he will go lay down. I can through food on the floor and he wont touch it until I say ok. I tormented him the other day I had fries. I took 4 put 2 on each pay and told him to wait. He sat there for about 5 mins until I felt to bad (I actually forgot about them until I looked at him again) and then I said ok, he looked relived lol.

Cheza

Cheza gets what we get, if it isn't bad for her, but she has to be laying down away from the plate.

The puppy only gets tiny things like peanut butter for now.

BostonBanker

The same as most others here - Meg will get bits of almost anything that is safe for her to eat, assuming she will eat it. I tried giving her pieces of french fries one night while I was eating. Only after I was done did I see the small pile of fries under a nearby table. She would take one, decide she didn't like it, and then add it to the pile.

bubbatd

None while I'm eating . Any good leftovers go into refrig for Ollie's next day meal additive , or into trash . Then he may lick the dish .

Then he may lick the dish .
Ohhh ...Cheyenne absolutely adored licking plates ... I think most Goldens do!

Same as others, we would let her have little tastes of things as long as it was nothing toxic to dogs. Anytime we were unsure we would ask the vet as well as do 'net searches before offering her anything.

We often cooked for her, boiled chicken or beef with supplements recommended by our vet. She also got salads, which she loved and they really helped when she was geriatric and started to sometimes have constipation problems. They were baby carrots, romaine lettuce spines, and a couple tablespoons of oat bran added. She also absolutely loved ice cream ... her most favorite food in the world. So she got ocassional single scoops of vanilla, either ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Of course there were those "purists" who said that we should never, ever, ever give her any "people food". But she was always healthy, never overweight, and lived a good long life. Now that she's gone we are so glad we didn't deprive her of those things she loved. Moderation in all things works.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Now I feel bad because I don't share, lol.

Every once in a while I might. Like if I don't finish what I'm eating for dinner, then I might give the dogs some of it. But that really doesn't happen often at all.

But I figure that's the least thing they need, my dad pumps them so full of treats that if I gave them my food, it'd be overkill hah.

shazbot

not so newby
I don't give my dogs a ton of people food, but when I do they get just about everything. However if it's too salty or greasy I won't give any to them because it upsets their tummies.

My neighbor just about fell over laughing the other day when he came outside and saw all 3 dogs patiently waiting for me to pick rasberries and give them some.

xpaeanx

I don't understand how all people food can be bad. God put it on earth for us and every other creature to eat.... if anything kibble is the "unnatural" food.

shazbot

not so newby
I don't understand how all people food can be bad. God put it on earth for us and every other creature to eat.... if anything kibble is the "unnatural" food.
I'm thinking it's the people food with all the additives that are bad. I don't think that veggies, fruits, meats etc are bad at all :)

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
the question should be what foods don't I give to them. . . and the answer is, I'm a sucker for puppy eyes and that puddle of drool is just going to need to be mopped up if I wait too long to give them what they want. In other words, whatever they blasted well ask for, sans chocolate, grapes and other toxic things. Past that, bring on the preservatives baby.:rolleyes:

Sunny is particularly fond of hot dogs, and by that I mean, really anything that looks like it could have at one point been food.:rofl1:

Stormy has a more discerning palate, and will only eat certain people food (read: the good stuff) like flour (no corn please!) tortillas, and real, cooked meat. She won't touch raw. Period. Roll in a raw dead fish all day, but wouldn't think of eating it (that she leaves to Sunny) Shuns sweets, anything remotely looking like a raw veggie, bread products, She picks things up oh so daintily that are offered to "her highness" then walks them over to her spot, lays down, sniffs, licks once with the tip of her tongue, and if it is deemed acceptable, no one will be beheaded tonight, and she very daintily pulls it apart piece by little bitty piece and nibbles it away.
Then she comes back over "That thing in your hand...it pleases us, please proceed with the feeding of your majesty, or ye shall perish"
:rolleyes:

Does that answer your question (and before the rants begin, yes, I'm a terrible pet mommy, people food is bad for doggies, and NILIF is the best training ever...bad behavior = no treats. Read: If I don't feed them what they want, I get ignored all night. :rofl1:)

Members online

No members online now.