Nature's Recipe

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Does anyone use Nature's Recipe dog food? If so, is it any good for them? If not, can someone recommend something that is good for dogs with allergies?

Well, Ti, I've heard Science Diet referred to as "Science Die" by people I considered to be knowledgeable about pet nutrition.

Check out the website at www.greatdanelady.com . She's got an impressive breadth of knowledge about the subject.

And if you go to NaturaPet's website at www.naturapet.com , there is a comparison protocol you can use to look at the ingredients in a huge array of different foods. It will even allow you to look at how the ingredients are derived, whether they are organic, human grade, etc. That's how I settled on the Innova. It had a wider array of food sources that were all organic and human grade; no ground feathers, lips or you-know-whats, which was what I wanted since the Filas' natural diet is a variety of proteins, vegetables, fruit and whatever they can scrounge.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Those brands that were mentioned on that website are not carried by any stores in my town. The closest place to get that food is about an hour away. I think I am going to try Natures' Recipe. so far, it sounds better than the other brands I've checked out.

I know that dilemma! I have to get the Innova in west Knoxville, which is about 55 miles and a thousand curse-words away. I have to pass through east Knoxville several times a week typically, so on my way home I have to detour and brave the I-40 construction, traffic and kamikaze drivers to get to my dog food. The only choices we have this side of Knoxville are the standard garbage, and the vets only carry Eukanuba and Science Diet and there's no way I'm feeding my dogs that swill!

Keep an eye on Bula for any further allergic reactions, since the Nature's Recipe contains yeast, which is used as a flavoring agent but is a common allergen to dogs. You might also want to give her a vitamin treat in between meals, as they also include yucca, a supplement that is under scrutiny for blocking the absorbtion of some of the fat-soluble vitamins. Check the ingredients to see if they use any non-organically raised ingredients, as another flavoring used is tomato pomace, made primarily from tomato skins. If they aren't organically grown, they will be loaded with pesticides. I'm guessing you're going to try the lamb, rice and barley? The chicken, rice and barley also contains liver meal, and considering the liver is the organ that filters all the toxins from the body . . . I can't believe I used to give my dogs beef liver as a treat years ago.

If you want to give Bula and Dixie something that will make them absolutely lose their little minds get beef hearts from the meat department. I cook them in water with a little salt-free bouillon and pepper and a dash of sea salt and they go nuts. Then I save the broth (freeze it sometimes even) and heat it up in the microwave and pour it over their kibble on cold days.

Who knew feeding dogs was rocket surgery? (lol)

Last edited:
I order FlintRiver on the phone and the UPS man delivers it always within two days.
Fast and easy and at 20 pounds at a time it is just right for two shelties.
Let your fingers do the walking :)

Chazhound

I can just picture UPS delivering dogfood to Bula! Especially when she's full grown! That mental picture reminds me of the story Charlie told me about his dog, Odd Job (mm-hm, from the 007 movie). Oddsie was half Bull Mastiff and half Rottweiler, so you can imagine what he looked like. People have described him to me as a "Pit Bull on steroids." For some reason Odd Job just loved the UPS guys out here and would meet the truck and jump in when the doors open, all ready to be petted. The fun came when Charlie moved to Treasure Island and took Odd Job with him. He heard a huge commotion one day and came around the side of his house. There was a UPS truck parked in his neighbor's driveway, and it was shaking and rocking and the sounds of panic were coming from the truck. He went over to see what was wrong, and there was Odd Job, jumping and cavorting in the back of the truck, trying to get his old friend the UPS guy to play with him. There were two of them in the truck, and they were both on the top racks, clinging for dear life while Odd Job, thinking that this was a great new game, was jumping up and down.

I guess it was a good thing those suits are dark brown!

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, Ti, but can you find Canidae dog food anywhere nearby? It's supposed to be one of the best for dogs with allergies.

Dog food help

Hi TL, Linda has a list of recommended foods at her site -greatdanelady.com- Many of their websites have store locators where you enter your zip code and they show the nearest retailer. If that doesn't work out, try contacting the company directly. For instance, Eagle pack ships food by the pallet to breeders scattered throughout various places.This becomes a side line for them because they get dealer prices. Someone near you may be receiving shipments for their kennel. Its worth a shot. Hope this helps. -Mike-

That's good to know, Mike. I've wondered about that. We plan on breeding the Filas in the future and I've had nightmare images of having to pay retail for humongous amounts of dogfood, although I think one litter a year - at least for the first few years - will be more than enough. We primarily want to breed superlative herding, watch and companion animals, developing healthy and stable bloodlines with traditional Fila characteristics. These aren't dogs for just any dog owner as you probably know, and I have no desire to make them available to the wrong people.

I've laughed at Charlie; he's made the comment that we may end up keeping ALL the puppies! Can you imagine! Can you imagine the feed bills?

Ha! The cows are easy! They feed themselves for six months out of the year. The other six we stack a couple of round bales in each feeder once a day and put out a few bags of corn in the morning.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I guess your right. At least the cows can't crawl in your bed in the mornings when they want you to wake up and play. Bula is starting to wake me up about 5:00 every morning because she is ready to play. Dixie even looks at her like she is crazy. Dixie won't even get up that early. I have to get up at about 5:30 anyway to get ready for work, so Bula is lucky there.

Members online

No members online now.